Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi members. First post here.

I've bought a Kia Xceed recently and whenever I try to charge at home with the YURA portable charger (the one that comes with the xceed and NIRO) in Ireland/UK, I've receive this FAULT red flashing light. According to the manual this error refers to "communication failure" between the charging box and the car (as you can see the car is also red on the picture).

I've taken to the dealership and they told me they haven't seen this before and they emailed KIA and they also haven't encountered this error (as far as the guy could tell me). The guy was able to reproduce the issue at the dealership and also tried using another YURA 3-pin charging box but the same error happened.

Sometimes it takes around 30min after starts charging, sometimes is immediate. I really don't understand what seems to be the matter as the current don't change and i don't do anything with the charger not the car (lock/unlock).

If anyone knows of something that could help it would be amazing. I've never encountered any issues by charging using the charging stations (public/ private) at supermarkets and public roads. It's only this YURA 3-pin that is "intermittent". I was never able to do a full charge at home because of that.

Thanks for the support.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That to me suggests a fault with the car. Dealer needs to get Kia Tech on board ASAP.
Indeed yeah, dealer service guy mentioned he never saw any similar issue, he emailed the KIA HQ guys and they said the same. He asked me to leave the car with them for a few days for a full analysis. I just posted this here to log the issue and see if anyone else faced this and how it was solved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had this same issue with my xceed , every day it would charge part of the way and that fault would stop the charge , a quick off then on again would restart the charging , a few weeks later it stopped happening , now i charge from a dumb wall charger and everything is fine since .
never did understand what the fault was though. hope you get it sorted .
i would highly recommend a cheap wall charger if you have a drive , mine only cost £200 and its so much quicker and easier

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had this same issue with my xceed , every day it would charge part of the way and that fault would stop the charge , a quick off then on again would restart the charging , a few weeks later it stopped happening , now i charge from a dumb wall charger and everything is fine since .
never did understand what the fault was though. hope you get it sorted .
i would highly recommend a cheap wall charger if you have a drive , mine only cost £200 and its so much quicker and easier
Thanks for the reply, I wish i could install one at home but unfortunately I can't (apartment). I do have access to a wall plug though, hence why I normally use the 3-pin.
I've noticed that when the car is cold (hasn't been driven in the past few hours) and with low battery (less than 60%) the charging even if it's faulty at first, I'm able to unplug and plug and eventually if I'm lucky it will start charging. It might fail a couple times but i'm able to plug and unplug and then it charges until 63-66%. After this mark, somehow no matter how many times i try, it doesn't charge anymore, the faulty error shows straight away (1sec after plugging in).

Budokan, you mentioned that some time later this stopped happening. is this because u changed to a wall charger or the actual 3-pin charger stopped giving this faulty error? And if so, do you remember what was changed in order to stop this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used the 3 pin plug for around a month only the 1st week gave me faults usually at about 75% charge , are you plugging the charger straight into a socket or using an extension lead.
I am not sure but i think the extension lead i was using might of been getting warm so i uncoiled it completely , that maybe what sorted my problem . or it might of just resolved the problem on its own.
I still use the 3 pin charger every day at work and it has worked perfectly for 2 months now.
Kia dont recommend using extension leads so if you are, dont tell them when you take it in or they might not give you a new one

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used the 3 pin plug for around a month only the 1st week gave me faults usually at about 75% charge , are you plugging the charger straight into a socket or using an extension lead.
I am not sure but i think the extension lead i was using might of been getting warm so i uncoiled it completely , that maybe what sorted my problem . or it might of just resolved the problem on its own.
I still use the 3 pin charger every day at work and it has worked perfectly for 2 months now.
Kia dont recommend using extension leads so if you are, dont tell them when you take it in or they might not give you a new one
Yeah, problem is the guy at the dealership was receiving the same error without an extension cord. I'm using one though. I'm using a very heavy duty, and it is not overheating, the problem is the error i'm receiving as per manual is "Communication Failure" and not "High temperature or anything like that". The error you were receiving had the car also RED? The difference between the communication failure and high temperature is the CAR sign also red not only the faulty/error red sign.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got my new Xceed PHEV on Tuesday, and got this fault on the same day. Digging around the Nido forums, I found other people with issues in the Nido PHEV similar to this. Apparently it's to do with the connector not latching properly. There's a video here
which helped me. Note that the thing you need to pull in my case was purple rather than orange or yellow. Another tip is to do it a number of times (one suggestion said 5-8 times) Did the trick for ne

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi members. First post here.

I've bought a Kia Xceed recently and whenever I try to charge at home with the YURA portable charger (the one that comes with the xceed and NIRO) in Ireland/UK, I've receive this FAULT red flashing light. According to the manual this error refers to "communication failure" between the charging box and the car (as you can see the car is also red on the picture).

I've taken to the dealership and they told me they haven't seen this before and they emailed KIA and they also haven't encountered this error (as far as the guy could tell me). The guy was able to reproduce the issue at the dealership and also tried using another YURA 3-pin charging box but the same error happened.

Sometimes it takes around 30min after starts charging, sometimes is immediate. I really don't understand what seems to be the matter as the current don't change and i don't do anything with the charger not the car (lock/unlock).

If anyone knows of something that could help it would be amazing. I've never encountered any issues by charging using the charging stations (public/ private) at supermarkets and public roads. It's only this YURA 3-pin that is "intermittent". I was never able to do a full charge at home because of that.

Thanks for the support.
I have just bought a xceed plug in and are having the same problem i get the red light after about an hr. If swich it off and back on it works again. I have been told that you should not use an extension cable so maybe thats what the problem is. I have an 7kw on order so not that bothered.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Same issue on brand new xceed phev.
Charged battery from 0 to 40%, then errors.
Disconnect /reconnect removed the error for 5 min though, then it reoccurred.
Plug was locked each time.
Car has total 100 miles or so. Everything new.
I have not tried anything with orange green caps though (as in the movie) there was no such suggestion from the system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 9284
Same issue on brand new xceed phev.
Charged battery from 0 to 40%, then errors.
Disconnect /reconnect removed the error for 5 min though, then it reoccurred.
Plug was locked each time.
Car has total 100 miles or so. Everything new.
I have not tried anything with orange green caps though (as in the movie) there was no such suggestion from the system.
Seems to be a common fault with the three pin charger i was told not to use it with an extension cable if that helps. just had a E0 mini pro fitted so hopefully no more issues.

·
Registered
Xceed First Edition PHEV
45 Posts
In the charge settings there is an option for max charge rate.Maybe those who are using the 3 pin charger on an extension lead should set the charge rate to a lower kw setting which will in turn lower the current being pulled from the extension lead.Worth a try?

·
Registered
2022 Kia Ceed SW PHEV
58 Posts
In the charge settings there is an option for max charge rate.Maybe those who are using the 3 pin charger on an extension lead should set the charge rate to a lower kw setting which will in turn lower the current being pulled from the extension lead.Worth a try?
You are correct in that when using the three pin plug the car should be set to a lower KW setting in order to protect the domestic socket.

My issue is that I am having the same problem but with a wall charger (the RCD in the wall charger is tripping - not an issue with the wall charger itself). I have tried pulling the purple (orange in the Niro) cable under the bonnet and have the car on charge at the moment to see if this does the trick!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It is clearly stated in the instructions for our "granny" charger that you must not use extensions since they can cause a fire. Its easy enough to see why they say this if you look. The cable from the very large (by normal standards) 3 pin plug is very fat with 5 x 2.5mm cores. 2 of those cores are to monitor the temperature at the plug, if it gets too hot the device will either temporarily reduce the amps or cut it off whilst it cools. The cable in our good quality extension is 3 x 1.25mm cores, 1/2 the size and with only 3 cores there is no temperature monitoring which is why the paperwork says do not use an extension.

For the record the supplied fuse in the very large 3 pin plug is a 10A.

In the 16 months we have had the PHEV we have had no charging issues and only use the "granny" charger at home. The only other place we have charged is the free Tesco ones but that only been 3 times since none of our local ones have them installed. We did try to use the free ones in Scotland but none were working at the 3 sites local to our lodge during the 2 visits we made last year. Hopefully will try again in May.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Ceed SW PHEV
58 Posts
@Back again good to see you have had no issues over your 16 months of ownership. The issue, however, also occurs with the three pin plug charger when no extension lead is used (as provided in a couple of the posts above). I have a similar issue when using my wall charger.

I had a fully successful complete charge last night without any tripping. This was after giving the purple cable a few tugs. - starting to feel like a script writer for the 'Carry On' films after those sentences..

Have almost 50% charge left after today's journeys and won't use that much tomorrow so will charge tomorrow evening and see if the issue reoccurs. One other difference is that it was dry last night and rained most other times I charged. This might also have an impact with moisture being the possible cause. So two variables to work with!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got my new Xceed PHEV on Tuesday, and got this fault on the same day. Digging around the Nido forums, I found other people with issues in the Nido PHEV similar to this. Apparently it's to do with the connector not latching properly. There's a video here
which helped me. Note that the thing you need to pull in my case was purple rather than orange or yellow. Another tip is to do it a number of times (one suggestion said 5-8 times) Did the trick for ne
Do you have any messages on the dash as i too have had this problem with charging but the errors such as Check Hybrid system still persists.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts