Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't drive at great speed or with hard acceleration.

The manafacturers specifications state 38.7 mpg. I could
understand some variation, but 10 mpg is a remarkable difference. I am
wondering if any other Kia Rio owners have found fuel consumption
figures to be different to that of the manafacturers spec. Specifically
the Kia Rio 1.4.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-----------------------

betting on sports
villas pineda de mar

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ajaybali, There are a few posts dotted on this web site regarding unsatisfied owners and fuel consumption so I don't think you are alone there.

How did you calculate your figures ?
For me I fill the tank until the pump cuts out then after driving near empty refill the tank and note the litres needed to refill and the mileage covered between refills.
I then enter the figures here :-
http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

I have found this to be the most accurate for working out.
Regarding 10mpg less than the manufactures figures, this could actually be realistic as the stated economy is NOT measured in real conditions but in a laboratory under simulated conditions.
The stated figures may be accurate if comparing cars against each other (as they are all tested the same way) but useless in the real world.

I cannot help you regarding the 1.4l version as I have the 1.5l Diesel and on average I get 10mpg less than the quoted figures but I am not too bothered at the moment.
When the winter diesel is replaced with the summer diesel* (after March) then I will look into the economy figures again.

I hope it helps.

* Winter diesel contains additives to stop diesel fuel gelling up in sub zero conditions.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I am getting 45mpg running about in mostly the town in short trips. I am quite happy with that. But hey I've got a diesel one.
Kia says 52mpg for urban cruising. But I dont drive it like a granpa.
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi ajaybali i have just refilled my 1.4 petrol for the third time, car is 5 weeks old
first fill i returned 25 mpg

second..... 28mpg

third fill 34mpgsomy mpg is improving

watch this space
Edited by: Dick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can under-reving decrease mpg?

I have a 1.1 picanto but often find i am passing 2.0TDI cars up my local bank, i assume they are driving in 5th or 6th were as i have changed down to 3rd or 4th.

Just an idea.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts