Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I'm new to the forum and wondered if I could pick your brains.

I'm about to order a new Sportage but cannot decide between the 2WD and 4WD.

I'm going for the manual diesel XE trim as I'm not a fan of leather.

We campin the Lake District and North Yorkshire quite a lot, but some people have said that the 2WD is sufficient for this. Others have said that the car is so heavy it's better to go for the 4WD. We've also had some bad experiences in the recent weatherbut I know for most of the year the roads are not bad.

I don't want to buy the 2WD and find that I should have gone for the 4WD, especially as I'll be keeping the car for years.

I thought it would be a good idea to ask the people who really know - so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Cookie

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Cookie, I had the same problem, as one of my hobbies takes me off road down country farm tracks so needed somethink with a bit of ground clearance.
I do not go off road (Mud pluging)with it or do any towing and as I also wanted a diesel with an auto box I plumbed for the 2 wheel drive.

Had it for just over 4 months now and with the weather we have been having, Ice, Snow and muddy fields has coped very well.

It has felt very sure footed in all situations, I put this down to the auto box it is well matched to the diesel engine (you don't spill your Gin and tonic in the back as you take off).

I agree with you go for the cloth seats I find the leather ones in mine are not comfortable.

But at the end of the day its down to you, if you need to go off road you may need to look at a better off roader then the Sportage.

I hope I have not put you off the great little motor, I think I made the right move but time will tell?

Bob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have the 4wd version in this years snow its been excellent also last year,also its only 4wd if you lock it upto about 30mph or in normal driving i think it works if it senses a loss of traction like traction control not a very technical explanation but tried to keep it simple,hope this helps.h

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for your thoughts they've been really useful.
I had originally decided on the 2WD but wavered because of things that had been said.

It's good to hear your experiences.

I think I'll have to think carefully about what I'll be asking of the car.

I'm goingto order soon and I'm excited already!

Thanks again for your help - I've had a good look through the site now and all the information is a great help to me as I've never had a Kia before.

Cookie x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Davy,
I'm living in Europe at the moment but come back to the UK a lot.

I've got family in York and Beverley and will be living south of the Humber when I come home.

I've been living quite sedately for the last few years (technical term for being lazy!) but I'm hoping to be more adventurous when I come back.

This was why I began to consider the 4WD. If I end up spending more time in the great outdoors I'd like to think my car could cope and that I'd feel confident it could get me to the places I want to go to. At the moment I'm sticking to relatively safe destinations.

My theory is if I buy a sporty capable car, a more sporty capable me will follow!

Although now that I think about it - buying a good set of golf clubs hasn't resulted in a good golfer!

Thanks for answering - it's really nice to know people will help when you ask for advice.

Cookie x

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Cookie
What ever model you pick, I think you will be pleased with.

If you don't want the auto box I wood go for the 4 wheel drive.

Its a shame they do not do a 4 wheel drive auto as that would be my personel choice, in the UK any way.

Bob.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've just got a 4wd diesel XE, after years of running land rovers. The 4wd is very good, and is capable in virtually every situation the normal motorist will encounter. I would say get the 4wd, simply because if you ever need it- snow, ice, floods, it will pay for itself. You can guarantee that the one time you need it you will really need it. So far, mine has been a wee cracker, I really rate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there!
I'm going to try out a 4WD at the weekend as I've only driven the 2WD up to now.

Still haven't decided so I'm hoping this weekend will help me make up my mind.

Thanks very much for all the advice.

Cookie x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts