Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

recently i bought a brand new KIA Sportage 1598cc Diesel Automatic 4x4 Mild Hybrid but i m facing a very strange problem.

When i m decelerating, try to park or even when i stop let s say in the traffic lights car revs start jump from 0 to 1 and suddenly the car turn off.

Any help will greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,408 Posts
I am not sure why the revs should jump. I assuming that if you stop, then start to press the accelerator the engine restarts If this is the case then it is the ISG system. The engine switches off as part of the stop/start system (Kia call it Idle Stop Go - ISG). There is a switch on the dash which allows tyou to switch it off, but you have to switch it every time you start the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mr.macspot thanks for your quick reply. i have also disable the start/stop feature/functions and the car still face this problem.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
mr.macspot thanks for your quick reply. i have also disable the start/stop feature/functions and the car still face this problem.
Then I apologise, I can not advise, I have not experienced this issue. Somebody may have a solution for you, best wishes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mr.macspot i have updates for these. I brought the car to KIA garage and they told me that both batteries (normal one & hybrid) were totally discharge. Garage replace the normal battery with new one and advise to disable ISG system for a period of time in order to fully recharge the hybrid one. How does this sound to you?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
mr.macspot i have updates for these. I brought the car to KIA garage and they told me that both batteries (normal one & hybrid) were totally discharge. Garage replace the normal battery with new one and advise to disable ISG system for a period of time in order to fully recharge the hybrid one. How does this sound to you?
Not sure I follow their reasoning. The ISG usually only works when the battery is in almost perfect condition, so if the battery is nearly flat the engine should keep running. I am also concerned that it's a brand new car, so having both batteries in poor condition does not sound right. You will only know if they are correct by driving the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which battery powering ISG system? the normal battery or the hybrid one? They told me that it s getting power from the hybrid one so i have to disable it in order to get fully charged during driving.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
ISG has been present on most cars long before Kia added the 48V battery, and was dependant on the 12V battery condition. My best guess is if you switch the ISG off the car will have more chance of recharging the 48V battery. But if you are only making short journey's that is never going to happen.
It still doesn't explain how they could supply a new car with two failing batteries, that shouldn't happen. Also why did they not charge the 48V battery while they had the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your questions are reasonable. I ask the some things without getting and answer. Is there a way to charge 48V battery?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have no idea. It is a lithium-ion type of battery with a lot of electronics attached to it, I don't imagine you can just hook any old charger to it. I do know that the display on the car shows it charging when you lift off the accelerator and allow the engine to slow the car.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Which battery powering ISG system? the normal battery or the hybrid one? They told me that it s getting power from the hybrid one so i have to disable it in order to get fully charged during driving.
From what I have read it seems that the generator on a hybrid car (mild, self charging and Plug in) charges the high voltage battery and then the high voltage battery keeps the 12 volt battery topped up. I believe the logic behind this is the simple fact if both batteries charged individually you would need both a 12 volt alternator and a high voltage generator which would simply weigh more and cost more.This theoretically means stop/start will be more reliable since it gets a fully charged 12 volt battery most of the time since the energy recuperation systems help keep the high voltage batteries charged more reliably.

As for disabling stop start to get the 12 volt battery to charge seems to be just a loads of bollocks. When you are driving along the stop start system uses no power (in any car), the only time it uses power is to start the car and if the battery is depleted the systems turns off automatically.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
From what I have read it seems that the generator on a hybrid car (mild, self charging and Plug in) charges the high voltage battery and then the high voltage battery keeps the 12 volt battery topped up. I believe the logic behind this is the simple fact if both batteries charged individually you would need both a 12 volt alternator and a high voltage generator which would simply weigh more and cost more.This theoretically means stop/start will be more reliable since it gets a fully charged 12 volt battery most of the time since the energy recuperation systems help keep the high voltage batteries charged more reliably.

As for disabling stop start to get the 12 volt battery to charge seems to be just a loads of bollocks. When you are driving along the stop start system uses no power (in any car), the only time it uses power is to start the car and if the battery is depleted the systems turns off automatically.
Thank you, (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any advice how to face these issue? Now i have a new 12V battery (as they said is fully charged), 48V (i dont now the battery level) and i have also disable ISG System.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Any advice how to face these issue? Now i have a new 12V battery (as they said is fully charged), 48V (i dont now the battery level) and i have also disable ISG System.
The car is under warranty, its up to the Kia dealer to sort it. If they cannot you can always reject the car but if its over 6 months old its more difficult since you have to preove the issue was there from new, under 6 months old its assumed it was there from new.

You say you bought it "recent", how recent is that? If its under 28 days reject it now, there is a proforma on the Which site, follow the advice exactly.

A forum can only give you advice, we cannot mend cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car is under warranty, its up to the Kia dealer to sort it. If they cannot you can always reject the car but if its over 6 months old its more difficult since you have to preove the issue was there from new, under 6 months old its assumed it was there from new.

You say you bought it "recent", how recent is that? If its under 28 days reject it now, there is a proforma on the Which site, follow the advice exactly.

A forum can only give you advice, we cannot mend cars.
Thanks for your advice. You help a lot.

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
As we all know ISG will not work if conditions are not meet. So I would not expect ISG to have any effect on 12V battery going flat or not charging properly. Unless it has changed as per below from Kia.
In terms of rev's jumping. Are you touching any of the pedals? As I know from mine it is easy to kick off auto hold by just resting foot on pedal.

I take it that they run a full test on charging system to ensure it is charging as it should? As given Hybrid battery had fully discharged suggest something is not right. Maybe fault in Mild Hybrid Starter & Generator.

Sadly these MHEV, seem to have too many problems, especially the Sportage.

• EcoDynamics+ diesel mild-hybrid powertrain supplements acceleration using a 48V electric motor
  • Affordable, compact technology can be integrated into existing architecture
  • Provides electric power and reduces engine load under acceleration
  • Recuperates energy during in-gear deceleration and braking
  • System incorporates new moving Stop & Start functionality

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As we all know ISG will not work if conditions are not meet. So I would not expect ISG to have any effect on 12V battery going flat or not charging properly. Unless it has changed as per below from Kia.
In terms of rev's jumping. Are you touching any of the pedals? As I know from mine it is easy to kick off auto hold by just resting foot on pedal.

I take it that they run a full test on charging system to ensure it is charging as it should? As given Hybrid battery had fully discharged suggest something is not right. Maybe fault in Mild Hybrid Starter & Generator.

Sadly these MHEV, seem to have too many problems, especially the Sportage.

When the problem arises, auto hold was disable. Honestly, i dont know what the check before they deliver the car.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
OK but the dealer said that BOTH batteries were discharged.

Leaving the engine running will liberate more energy to regharge the 48V battery (and via that the 12V battery)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts