Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 sportage 1.6 mild hybrid auto diesel serious gearbox fault
Hi,
Has anyone out there had problems with their mild hybrid auto??????
I've had mine for 12 days 250ish miles and it's been in the garage for 8 of those days and is still there.
The problem it has is when I came up to a junction and did come to a full stop, when I went to pull away it gave out an almighty bang, and I mine a F*****G big bang. It did this 4 times, so to the garage we go, they had the car for 4 days and came back to me and said they couldn't fine anything wrong. So I insisted there was a fault they went out in the car again and thank god it did the very bang they could hear. The head technician called me, he was somewhat shocked at what heard had witnessed.
The garage contacted Kia technical dept and they has suggested replacing the gearbox oil with a thicker oil (you know like you used to do to an old car before it went to auction, thicker oil and a hand full of sawdust)
So to cap it all, to drain the gearbox under warranty rules they've got to replace the drain plug seal (understandable) but I'm now informed that there isn't a drain plug seal in the country for my car, got to wait a further 7 days for one to arrive from the Kia factory.
I don't think thicker oil will make any difference plus what about future servicing of the car.
I can see this car been returned for a replacement.
This is my 5th Sportage and I love them, BUT
Sorry about the rant.
HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAD/GOT A SIMILAR PROBLEM???????????????

Registered
I have the same car, but no 馃檹馃problems so far! I鈥檒l be really interested to find out what the fault is though. Good luck getting it sorted 馃憤

Registered
2021 sportage 1.6 mild hybrid auto diesel serious gearbox fault
Hi,
Has anyone out there had problems with their mild hybrid auto??????
I've had mine for 12 days 250ish miles and it's been in the garage for 8 of those days and is still there.
The problem it has is when I came up to a junction and did come to a full stop, when I went to pull away it gave out an almighty bang, and I mine a F*****G big bang. It did this 4 times, so to the garage we go, they had the car for 4 days and came back to me and said they couldn't fine anything wrong. So I insisted there was a fault they went out in the car again and thank god it did the very bang they could hear. The head technician called me, he was somewhat shocked at what heard had witnessed.
The garage contacted Kia technical dept and they has suggested replacing the gearbox oil with a thicker oil (you know like you used to do to an old car before it went to auction, thicker oil and a hand full of sawdust)
So to cap it all, to drain the gearbox under warranty rules they've got to replace the drain plug seal (understandable) but I'm now informed that there isn't a drain plug seal in the country for my car, got to wait a further 7 days for one to arrive from the Kia factory.
I don't think thicker oil will make any difference plus what about future servicing of the car.
I can see this car been returned for a replacement.
This is my 5th Sportage and I love them, BUT
Sorry about the rant.
HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAD/GOT A SIMILAR PROBLEM???????????????
I am most certainly no expert, but I have one of those hybrid DCT jobbies, and so far I haven't experienced the fault you describe in 4000 miles. HOWEVER what you describe sounds, to me, uncannily like the symptoms some folk have described when their 1.6 mild hybrid engines go bang. This is a known problem relating to retorquing the drive belt tensioner and is subject of a Kia Service Action Plan (or whatever they're called) and your dealer should be aware if yours is one of the cars affected and fix it f.o.c.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am most certainly no expert, but I have one of those hybrid DCT jobbies, and so far I haven't experienced the fault you describe in 4000 miles. HOWEVER what you describe sounds, to me, uncannily like the symptoms some folk have described when their 1.6 mild hybrid engines go bang. This is a known problem relating to retorquing the drive belt tensioner and is subject of a Kia Service Action Plan (or whatever they're called) and your dealer should be aware if yours is one of the cars affected and fix it f.o.c.

I have already been down this avenue and it鈥檚 not that problem. They think it COULD be a problem in the gear selectors and the 2 clutches clashing, time will tell and I will keep my post upto date just in case it鈥檚 helpful to some other owner.

Super Moderator
I would make it known now to them, that you are not happy and are looking to reject the car. You can give them chance to repair, but if that does not work. At least they are aware of your intentions.

TBH. It would have been better when it did it 1st time, to call out recovery straight away. But hindsight is a great thing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, I have already informed Kia through their agent that they get 1 go at the warranty repair ( legally I have to give Kia the opportunity to repair the car once) if they don鈥檛 repair the car the first time it鈥檒l be going back. I鈥檓 thinking of taking legal advice on compensation, they had the car more than me.

Registered
I have already been down this avenue and it鈥檚 not that problem. They think it COULD be a problem in the gear selectors and the 2 clutches clashing, time will tell and I will keep my post upto date just in case it鈥檚 helpful to some other owner.
Oh great, now us lucky Mild Hybrid owners have the prospect of the engine and the gearbox going bang

Thank you

Registered
I bought a 69 plate Auto mild hybrid on the 17th March. Managed to drive it about 50 miles before it broke down. Back to the garage it went and its been there ever since.

I have been informed its something to do with the crank shaft. My noise was more of a swishing noise though whenever the vehicle went from charging to battery power.

It needs a full new engine apparently so looks like I wont be getting my car any time soon!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a 69 plate Auto mild hybrid on the 17th March. Managed to drive it about 50 miles before it broke down. Back to the garage it went and its been there ever since.

I have been informed its something to do with the crank shaft. My noise was more of a swishing noise though whenever the vehicle went from charging to battery power.

It needs a full new engine apparently so looks like I wont be getting my car any time soon!
Sorry to hear that, has it sheared the key on the crankshaft?? There was a recall for that problem. Have you talked about replacement or compensation??

Registered
Sorry to hear that, has it sheared the key on the crankshaft?? There was a recall for that problem. Have you talked about replacement or compensation??
Yeah I just seen the other thread there. Yeah sounds like that鈥檚 what鈥檚 happened. they stripped out the engine to get to the problem, but kia told them they needed strip more back apparently.

I鈥檓 not overly clued up on any compo due. They gave me a new courtesy car for the time being

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I just seen the other thread there. Yeah sounds like that鈥檚 what鈥檚 happened. they stripped out the engine to get to the problem, but kia told them they needed strip more back apparently.

I鈥檓 not overly clued up on any compo due. They gave me a new courtesy car for the time being
You should bring the subject up with them, you have nothing to loose and at the end of the day you haven鈥檛 spent a load of money to have a load of worry. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Ask them to confirm anytthey say in an email.

Registered
I would do the opposite you confirm to them by email that way you know it is captured, else they may well just ignore it, as it is in their benefit not to admit to too much, to stop litigation and comeback.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would do the opposite you confirm to them by email that way you know it is captured, else they may well just ignore it, as it is in their benefit not to admit to too much, to stop litigation and comeback.
Totally agree, you are correct this is how it should be done.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have heard from the garage this afternoon, the oil change has NOT cured the problem and I'm told that Kia want the gearbox and clutches out and stripping to try and find the fault. The availability of spares/new gearbox is an unknown, possibly weeks or worse.
I've made it clear I'm not happy with the situation and are looking to have the car replaced.
I'm waiting for the sales manager to contact me.
I'll keep you all informed

Super Moderator
I have heard from the garage this afternoon, the oil change has NOT cured the problem and I'm told that Kia want the gearbox and clutches out and stripping to try and find the fault. The availability of spares/new gearbox is an unknown, possibly weeks or worse.
I've made it clear I'm not happy with the situation and are looking to have the car replaced.
I'm waiting for the sales manager to contact me.
I'll keep you all informed

Time for rejection, as per your consumer rights.

Reactions: Lancelot1937
1 - 16 of 16 Posts