Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just recently I have noticed that I have been flashed a few times when driving in the dark. I had adjusted the headlights one segment lower on the dial when I first got the car as I was being flashed all the time and all was good, no flashing from other drivers.

However, driving home the other evening I was driving the wife's car while she was in the Sorento. I noticed that as she followed me, the driver's headlight, specifically the outer bulb in the unit, seemed to be flashing as though it was wobbling inside the headlight unit and was looking like the headlight was going onto main beam. It was very bright and I could see why someone would think I was driving with full beam om on, even though it is only one light doing it.

It was very strange that it was only one bulb that seemed to be doing it and it happened every time the car went over a different level in the road.

Has anyone else come across anything like this at all? I have the car booked in for its frist 10000 mile service next Wednesday so will get them to look at it but it would be nice to be a little forearmed if there is something that has been noticed before by others.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi all,

Just recently I have noticed that I have been flashed a few times when driving in the dark. I had adjusted the headlights one segment lower on the dial when I first got the car as I was being flashed all the time and all was good, no flashing from other drivers.

However, driving home the other evening I was driving the wife's car while she was in the Sorento. I noticed that as she followed me, the driver's headlight, specifically the outer bulb in the unit, seemed to be flashing as though it was wobbling inside the headlight unit and was looking like the headlight was going onto main beam. It was very bright and I could see why someone would think I was driving with full beam om on, even though it is only one light doing it.

It was very strange that it was only one bulb that seemed to be doing it and it happened every time the car went over a different level in the road.

Has anyone else come across anything like this at all? I have the car booked in for its frist 10000 mile service next Wednesday so will get them to look at it but it would be nice to be a little forearmed if there is something that has been noticed before by others.
Difficult to diagnose. Sounds like either the bulb is loose (dealer issue) or perhaps the issue is with the High Beam Assist. If you look through your instruction manual you will find more detail. Look for a headlight LED symbol on your dash with the word "Auto" underneath it. This can be toggled on or off in the settings menu on the head unit. That's the only things I can think of.

·
Super Moderator
9,411 Posts
I know you have the car booked in, but I would ring the dealer to advise them before you take it in. With covid once again on the up at least they are aware of the issue & can factor the time in. Rather than mentioning it on the day & them saying we will have to book that in again later due to staff being off. (y)

Could be the sliding part that moves from dip to main that is loose.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow-up to the service I had today regarding first 10000 mile service, brakes squeaking and lights.

Service done under Kia service plan - no cost. However, they did phone me and say 'pollen filter could be dirty - suggest changing' (I refused that for an 8 month old car), 'brakes can be removed and cleaned to look for squeal issue but you will need to pay (I also refused this) and then 'tracking should be done to check that car is not going to scrub tyres,etc' (also refused as tracking absolutely fine on car).

When I picked up car they said that the brakes had been removed and cleaned (no charge) and I took keys and was gone in a flash.

Headlights had been checked and no lose bulbs, etc so I will keep an eye on them (not literally, that may hurt), to see if they are indeed 'wobbling'.

·
Super Moderator
9,411 Posts
Yes, I saw that. It's just annoying that literally none of my previous cars has ever had squeaky brakes.
Problem with Hybrids is they use the brakes less as regen is the default slowing process. So it can be useful to have a good hard brake when safe to do so, to make the brakes work & keep them free. (y)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem with Hybrids is they use the brakes less as regen is the default slowing process. So it can be useful to have a good hard brake when safe to do so, to make the brakes work & keep them free. (y)
I did wonder this. I mainly drive in full ev mode so perhaps some vigorous braking is in order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts