Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just bought a 71 plate Kia Rio and I’m already having CarPlay issues that judging by the posts I’ve seen have been going on for a while. I’m wondering if anyone has found a way to get CarPlay working over USB instead of this absolutely useless WiFi nonsense?

It cuts out every 10 seconds then every now and then will tell my phone isn’t responding, not to mention the 2 second delay between pressing skip and the phone catching up and skipping the song. It’s bananas, I don’t know who thought WiFi was a valid option for CarPlay but I refuse to believe there’s no possible way to use it over USB.

Additionally, going through the settings it looks like Android Auto is possible over USB - are there any Android users kicking about that can confirm that?

Cheers!

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,471 Posts
Android Auto works over USB cable (in my Stonic) with no issues once you get a good quality USB data cable. It has to be this way as only recent Kias have the necessary 5G Wi-FI capability that AA requires (CarPlay as well I think.

Have you tried a USB connection to the car? (showing my ignorance about Apple if that is not possible)

Another thought can you disable - 2.4 GB Wi-Fi in your phone settings or prioritise 5 GB Wi-Fi, it might be you phone keeps dropping to 2.4 GB for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
Hi all, I just bought a 71 plate Kia Rio and I’m already having CarPlay issues that judging by the posts I’ve seen have been going on for a while. I’m wondering if anyone has found a way to get CarPlay working over USB instead of this absolutely useless WiFi nonsense?

It cuts out every 10 seconds then every now and then will tell my phone isn’t responding, not to mention the 2 second delay between pressing skip and the phone catching up and skipping the song. It’s bananas, I don’t know who thought WiFi was a valid option for CarPlay but I refuse to believe there’s no possible way to use it over USB.

Additionally, going through the settings it looks like Android Auto is possible over USB - are there any Android users kicking about that can confirm that?

Cheers!
Sadly it's a known apple issue that is awaiting a fix from them.

Which IOS are you running?

·
Registered
5 Posts

Cheers!
just purchased a sweet new 2022 LX S for my son….
Android auto works fine but that’s not what we need….
Then trying wireless Carplay shows connected, but will only stream thru Bluetooth, but will not project the CarPlay Home Screen to load any apps, Waze, Google maps, Spotify etc….makes it totally useless……and after reading further found out that CarPlay will not work with cable, Only wireless WiFi…..
While at the dealer we tried an iPhone 11, 12, & 13 and none will connect….
very frustrating, and need to find a cure…..

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
just purchased a sweet new 2022 LX S for my son….
Android auto works fine but that’s not what we need….
Then trying wireless Carplay shows connected, but will only stream thru Bluetooth, but will not project the CarPlay Home Screen to load any apps, Waze, Google maps, Spotify etc….makes it totally useless……and after reading further found out that CarPlay will not work with cable, Only wireless WiFi…..
While at the dealer we tried an iPhone 11, 12, & 13 and none will connect….
very frustrating, and need to find a cure…..
Hi & welcome.

We are UK based so get different spec to US.

You may be better posting your question here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok.
Only thing I can think is it might require a setting enabled on the head unit.

Other than that it will be back to dealer & ask them.

This might help..

yea, I have watched that……it just will not connect the projection aspect….
Dealer is unable to get it working….
They are delivering the car today, and it’s quite frustrating with a brand new 22 that I’m giving as a gift(1st car for my son) for it to not be working…..
Thanks for your input……

·
Registered
5 Posts
They just delivered his car…..it’s perfect and the same salesperson that worked on getting the CarPlay to work for over an hour yesterday dropped it off and said that they did nothing to it but all the sudden it’s working perfectly…..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts