Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many thanks to ‘DandyAndy’ for the links to the latest update material on the internet. As a result, I have successfully updated my Optima after downloading the appropriate files. After selecting ‘Update’ on the Nav information screen, it took 10 minutes from inserting an SD card with the new files, switching on the ignition and hitting the start button.

I had a difficulty with the map download as it would not work properly so I had to perform the download of that part three times before it opened correctly. Once I got past that, the rest went smoothly and my screen now reveals the following information:

IMG_0596.jpeg

Probably, I won’t recognise any significant changes until I have had the opportunity to use the Nav system on a trip but visually, the screen looks much nicer and radio stations have more colourful imagery. The buttons down the LH side of the map screen have been altered but whether or not that has produced an improvement to anything, I can’t yet say.

As the update only takes 10 minutes, there is no reason to start the engine - ignition on is all that’s necessary and that saves polluting the vicinity with exhaust gases.

While I cannot recommend that downloading the material from iffy websites is a smart thing to do for those nervous about tinkering with computers and navigation equipment, for those who know how to safely access ’Torrent’ sites and how to use the downloaded folders in their infotainment unit, the task is relatively straightforward and saves £25.00 at the dealership.

To be fair, paying your local KIA dealer 25 sovs for his time in doing the job seems eminently sensible, any major cock-up then being the dealer’s responsibility to put right,

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just had a trip out in the car today with the new firmware / maps and noticed lots of changes to the maps look and functions. Approaching junctions and roundabouts the screen now splits into two. The left hand screen shows the map and the right hand one shows a detailed, close up of where to go including the original distance to turn and a new bar line counting down as well. The traffic info when connected to live services colours the whole road now instead of just the edge of the road.

When navigating, if you switch to the radio screen the turn directions are now shown on the top line of the screen. There are also shortcut "buttons" on the touchscreen for home, office and 4 favourite destinations. You can also change the map current position icon colour to red, blue, green and yellow.

Another change is when looking at live petrol prices, you can now select the brand as well as distance and price e.g. Shell, Esso, Asda, Sainsburys etc.

There are other changes that I can't remember at the moment. Will post again when I get a chance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've just thought of another useful update. The map now shows the cars GPS speed above the current speed limit of the road you are on. Its interesting to see how inaccurate the cars speedo reads compared to the GPS speed.

At an indicated 40 MPH on the speedo, the GPS speed shows 36 MPH and when the speedo is showing 60 MPH, the GPS is showing 54/55 MPH.

I haven't had a chance to test it at 70 MPH yet. I would imagine the discrepancy would be even higher!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello All,

What is the difference between Gen5x_WIDEmap_2020 vs Gen5x_map_2020 ?
Is the wide version for the newest wider screens?

Thanks in advance.

I've just thought of another useful update. The map now shows the cars GPS speed above the current speed limit of the road you are on. Its interesting to see how inaccurate the cars speedo reads compared to the GPS speed.

At an indicated 40 MPH on the speedo, the GPS speed shows 36 MPH and when the speedo is showing 60 MPH, the GPS is showing 54/55 MPH.

I haven't had a chance to test it at 70 MPH yet. I would imagine the discrepancy would be even higher!
I have noticed this when using my dashcam, which displays current speed as a screensaver. It uses GPS to calculate.
From my observations, speedo shows always 10% more than the actual speed. To drive within the legal limit on motorways, speedo will show as much as 77mph.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello All,

What is the difference between Gen5x_WIDEmap_2020 vs Gen5x_map_2020 ?
Is the wide version for the newest wider screens?

Thanks in advance.
I noticed the wide map folder and agree it must be for the newer wider screen displays. As the maps dont install anything onto the head unit, I might copy the wide map on a SD card and see what happens!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello again,

I have updated both, the software and maps today in my Ceed GT and all went smooth and fine.
I have used the satnav for a short journey to the supermarket (no, not to buy toilet paper LOL).

Here are my findings with the new software on top of DandyAndy`s above mentioned novelties:

1. mobile phone battery level gauge is gone (used to have this on the top right corner of the screen along with the bluetooth and wifi connection icons, even if the phone was only connected via bt, not even cable) - not a big deal, but handy for some people.
2. there are 3 colour schemes of map layout to choose from: milk/latte/moccha
3. there is an option to choose speed camera warning volume level: mild/normal/high
4. DAB station logos are displayed nicely (finally!)
5. overall the software feels smoother and the menu icons as well as the whole GUI are more colorful and airy.
6. current speed displaying (from GPS) implementations is a bit not polished in my opinion - some black digits with no background jumping above the current speed limit - but it is there and works.

Overall, it is a definitely step forward.
First update where all my settings were saved and restored after a successful update - I did not have to tune in radio stations, nor pair my smartphone again. All my personal data was restored - saved address, etc.

Thanks again DandyAndy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First time DYI update for me and there is two questions to the "old's" here. The update take place in two steps, first formatting an SD card in fat32 and drug and drop the software update files, put it in the car's SD socket and make the update. Is that the right procedure?
After that, load the map files to the SD and insert it on the socket?
Sorry for my english,,,
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
First time DYI update for me and there is two questions to the "old's" here. The update take place in two steps, first formatting an SD card in fat32 and drug and drop the software update files, put it in the car's SD socket and make the update. Is that the right procedure?
After that, load the map files to the SD and insert it on the socket?
Sorry for my english,,,
Thanks in advance!!
Basically, this is the correct procedure, yes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone have speed camera alert sound duplicated? I got mine as a warning ahead (as it should be) and the another (same) sound alert when passing it. This is a bit annoying to be honest, too much interruptions when listening to the music. Is this something new with this update or my SW is playing up?
Other thing which comes to my mind is that the area I drive through very often is covered with speed traps which supposed to be linked together to make average speed zone and maybe that is the reason for extra alert sound?
Any ideas?

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts