Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Many thnaks again for your advice
FYI :
- I phone Kia customer service on Monday ;I was told that they would phone me back or email me .Nothining on Thursday Night
-I also sent an email to Ciustomer service ,they said they did not know,"talk to your dealer"
- i phoned the dealer Kia Brentworth ,mentionned my question ,but they did not ring me back ...
Not almightily happy with Kia customer service ,you probably have guessed !
With this lack of response ,i become more and more suspicious :
...and if the system had been disconnected ( to avoid potential issues possibly?)
That would explain why nobody wants to talk to me
Have you checked the system works as they say it should on your car ? If yes , please let me know how you did it
Worth checking ,I think ;)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Was curious so had a look this morning.
This is all you get & follows what it states in the manual.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am puzzled. The original poster is under the impression that his GT-Line has permanent 4WD. If that is the case why does the car have an AWD Lock button?

·
Registered
162 Posts
The AWD system in my 2017 GTLine is demand only (stays in FWD unless a demand condition is detected) or the driver overrides the demand system by using the manual diff-lock feature which actuates full 4WD(disengages automatically above 18mph back to FWD only) This feature is for poor road/light off road conditions only, my vehicle does not have full time 4WD :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
The AWD system in my 2017 GTLine is demand only (stays in FWD unless a demand condition is detected) or the driver overrides the demand system by using the manual diff-lock feature which actuates full 4WD(disengages automatically above 18mph back to FWD only) This feature is for poor road/light off road conditions only, my vehicle does not have full time 4WD :)
Same as mine, my confusion is - Why would you need a AWD Lock button if, as the OP understands, the car is permanent 4WD?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
yes ,this is exactly what the original poster (me!)understands

·
Registered
162 Posts
My 2017 AWD system is capable of selectively providing drive to any of the 4 wheels as per the video earlier in this thread. The diff lock feature forces the system into a temporary true 4WD, this feature is for low speed difficult or light off road driving conditions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
ok ,well understood
this is exactly what I expected to have on my car
Problem is I am not sure I have it !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Was curious so had a look this morning.
This is all you get & follows what it states in the manual.
View attachment 6115 View attachment 6116
on mine, on the warnings led at the bottom of the cluster ,Photo attached ,it is awful ,but the best i could do there are 2 "AWD" leds:
the one on the right is the AWD lock led and it is illuminated when I press the AWD lock button on the console
cluster photo1.png
The other one ,left of the previous one .is never illuminated; I think this is the one which should show how traction forces are distributed
question is : how to action that display ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
FYI: I went to my dealer this morning and finally got a sympathetic ear-Kia brentford -
They did not have the answer,had even never been asked , but said they would contact Kia centre and come back to me next week
I'll let you know

·
Super Moderator
2,384 Posts
I think some confusion over AWD.
Kia's do have AWD just not full time AWD, That would be described as 4 wheel drive. With Kia's AWD the eletronics decide which wheel 's the power should be going too, hence AWD, as it can go to front, rear, left or right wheels.

As to the display. It could be that the latest version has a different display. Ki's handbooks can be wrong at times.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I think some confusion over AWD.
Kia's do have AWD just not full time AWD, That would be described as 4 wheel drive. With Kia's AWD the eletronics decide which wheel 's the power should be going too, hence AWD, as it can go to front, rear, left or right wheels.

As to the display. It could be that the latest version has a different display. Ki's handbooks can be wrong at times.
I understand exactly what you say about AWD and fully agree
My problem is with the absence of display
DISPLAY THERE SHOULD BE ,AS PER THE OWNER'S MANUAL
What triggered my worry was a recent trip to the Alps when I was surprised by the relatively poor behaviour of the car on snow
This made me doubt that the AWD was working ,i thought I had a 2WD !!

·
Super Moderator
2,384 Posts
What sort of tyres were you using? Standard fit or winter?
As if temps are low then even with all 4 wheels driving std tyres are not much good due to lack of flex to clear snow from tread.

Std Continentals on my Stonic as very poor. To the point that I could spin the wheels when setting off and they would still be spinning in 3rd gear. And I'm very light footed.
Dumped after 6K for some all weather tyres and they are so much better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yes i know
I am a very regular driver to the Alps and have raced on ice as well
the tyres on my Kia are standard ones and I know there is a VAST difference between these tyres and all weather tyres
I completely agree with you
My problem is that i had the feeling that the rear wheels did not really engage en snow as they should ;hence my question on this forum

·
Super Moderator
2,384 Posts
My problem is that i had the feeling that the rear wheels did not really engage en snow as they should ;hence my question on this forum
I think in reality (till you get a reply from dealer) is to test if rear wheels are being driven. I would find a slippery surface and watch the rear wheels. Maybe put something under them so they will have more purchase to prove they are being driven.
So say grass and put some wood under the rears. (just don't stand in the firing line of the wood)

I get what you are saying. And we have all been there with the handbooks and trying to make sense of what they are saying, or is that feature on my car or still available (old book)
Sometimes just playing with the steering wheel controls bring up menus that find what you are looking for.
If you look at IanV pic you will notice the 3 dots behind the car. That would make me think that there are 3 options/screens available that will be accessed by the up/down switch of the right hand side of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I think in reality (till you get a reply from dealer) is to test if rear wheels are being driven. I would find a slippery surface and watch the rear wheels. Maybe put something under them so they will have more purchase to prove they are being driven.
So say grass and put some wood under the rears. (just don't stand in the firing line of the wood)

I get what you are saying. And we have all been there with the handbooks and trying to make sense of what they are saying, or is that feature on my car or still available (old book)
Sometimes just playing with the steering wheel controls bring up menus that find what you are looking for.
If you look at IanV pic you will notice the 3 dots behind the car. That would make me think that there are 3 options/screens available that will be accessed by the up/down switch of the right hand side of the steering wheel.
Thank you again for your advice
Again ,completely agree, I'll test the car as soon as I can,I need a wet, grassy place for that and London isn't the best place for that :)
Maybe also lift the front wheels and see if when they spin(ever so slowly),the rear wheels want to move forward
I have looked again at IanV pic and at the 3 dots you mention.
Unfortunately ,nothing like that appears on my screen,no dots,no car ,no nothing :(

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
1pierre1 the picture of the car applies to the mild hybrid (Page 4 80) and is only for displaying energy flow.
The dots signify the sub menus.
I have the same manual as you and I think that statement is a bit misleading, all you get on the cluster for 3 seconds is on the pictures I posted.
The Sportage is an automatic on demand AWD. It does not have centre diff lock nor limited slip diff.
When you press the Lock button, all it does is split the drive 50:50 between front & rear wheels limited up to a safe speed of 19MPH to protect the drive train.
In normal automatic mode it progressively modulates the drive between front & rear wheels dependant on traction loss.
For the type of conditions that the car was designed and expected to encounter it is absolutely capable.
A serious off roader (4x4) it is not.
If you want to test the system, find yourself a bank, drive up it at an angle as such, that you have one front wheel and one rear wheel in the air.
It will sit there just spinning those 2 wheels & you’ll be going nowhere - no diff lock or limited slip diffs.
I have used mine in anger (2012) on serious snow/slush covered A26 heading for Reims and I was most impressed. As a soft roader it works perfectly.
Furthermore I should mention, I have a set of winter tyres which make a big difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
1pierre1 the picture of the car applies to the mild hybrid (Page 4 80) and is only for displaying energy flow.
The dots signify the sub menus.
I have the same manual as you and I think that statement is a bit misleading, all you get on the cluster for 3 seconds is on the pictures I posted.
The Sportage is an automatic on demand AWD. It does not have centre diff lock nor limited slip diff.
When you press the Lock button, all it does is split the drive 50:50 between front & rear wheels limited up to a safe speed of 19MPH to protect the drive train.
In normal automatic mode it progressively modulates the drive between front & rear wheels dependant on traction loss.
For the type of conditions that the car was designed and expected to encounter it is absolutely capable.
A serious off roader (4x4) it is not.
If you want to test the system, find yourself a bank, drive up it at an angle as such, that you have one front wheel and one rear wheel in the air.
It will sit there just spinning those 2 wheels & you’ll be going nowhere - no diff lock or limited slip diffs.
I have used mine in anger (2012) on serious snow/slush covered A26 heading for Reims and I was most impressed. As a soft roader it works perfectly.
Furthermore I should mention, I have a set of winter tyres which make a big difference.
Hi ianv
thank you for your advice
good to know that the picture applies to the mild hybrid,not to my car :eek:ne less source of confusion :)
NB: I have both systems : AWD (I hope!) with the Kia GT Line and 4x4 with my old LR Discovery (it does not have diff lock or limited slip diff either )
What i would like is to be able to visualize how traction forces are distributed to the front and rear wheels ,as the Owner's Manual says on page 6 -50
So far ,unfortunately, no success... :(
Last,with a smile : want to know of a vehicle that will go where NO AWD...4x4 ...6X4...can go ?
KTM EXC 300 Tpi

·
Super Moderator
2,384 Posts
What i would like is to be able to visualize how traction forces are distributed to the front and rear wheels ,as the Owner's Manual says on page 6 -50
When you read it. It says when in the AWD cluster display.
This is going to be something that you will need to pass through the options to find using the up/down buttons. Till you find the AWD display.
These can be a real pain as they often have sub menus that baffle the best of us trying to find (or at least which button to press to access them)

21 - 40 of 46 Posts