1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
new to the club
On page 6-50 of my owner's manual,i read:
"... When the cluster's AWD auto display is selected ,the cluster displays the status of how four wheels traction forces are distributed..."
I have looked everywhere in the manual and on the car ,and I cannot see how to select this AWD auto display mode
Any idea ?
I have phoned ,emailed,.... Kia customer service but no response yet
Pierre
:(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your (fast) response
answer is no as it is a permanent AWD
The system is supposed to allocate power to front and rear wheels according to conditions
What started puzzling me was last week in the Alps ,i was expected to see some action on the cluster whilst driving on snow covered roads...but nothing

·
Registered
188 Posts
In the UK AWD is on demand only not permanent 4WD.
On pressing the AWD on/off button in the centre consul, a display appears in the instrument cluster, is this what you are referring too?

·
Registered
613 Posts
It's certainly not something that is on my 2017 Sportage, it must be a new feature. Do you have a AWD Lock button? Maybe it's something that appears when that is in lock mode.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's certainly not something that is on my 2017 Sportage, it must be a new feature. Do you have a AWD Lock button? Maybe it's something that appears when that is in lock mode.
yes ,i have a AWD lock button ],and it works

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On pressing the AWD on/off button in the centre consul, a display appears in the instrument cluster, is this what you are referring too?
This is not what I was told and it is not what I read on the ownners manal
The GT line 1.6gdi DCT ,for me , is supposed to have an AWD system
By defintion ,AWD means permanent AWD ,doesn't it ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AWD defintion:
"All-wheel drive: A drivetrain that employs a front, rear and center differential to provide power to all four wheels of a vehicle. "

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
All Wheel Drive (Grade dependent) continuously monitor driving conditions to maintain traction on rough, loose or slippery surfaces. It also helps improve lateral stability when cornering.
It is a system that monitors all wheels and delivers power to which wheels need it. So it does not mean that All 4 wheels are powered all the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also ,please read this ,which explains the reason why I bought this car !!!:
More recently, all-wheel drive (AWD) technology has been introduced. It is a drivetrain that uses a front, rear and center differential to provide power to all four wheels of your Kia vehicle and gives the driver maximum forward traction during acceleration and increased flexibility. AWD systems utilize computers to send information to the sensors on each wheel to monitor its traction and wheel speed. When slippage is detected through the ECU (engine control unit), power is diverted to the other axle to find more grip. Kia drivers praise AWD for its sportier feel and allowing faster driving speeds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a system that monitors all wheels and delivers power to which wheels need it. So it does not mean that All 4 wheels are powered all the time.

I understand that ,had seen the video,Most of the time ,only the front axle will be actionned ,but in many other instances *(acce;eration, driving on wet or slippery roads ,all 4 wheels shopuld be actionned .
it does not happen with my car

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For those interested ,a copy of my Owner's Manual,page 6.50,is attached
This will help you understand my initial question better
the important bit is what I have put in a circle

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is not what I was told and it is not what I read on the ownners manal
The GT line 1.6gdi DCT ,for me , is supposed to have an AWD system
By defintion ,AWD means permanent AWD ,doesn't it ?
I have a 2017 GTLine 1.6GDI DCT AWD which is demand AWD (mostly FWD) True 4WD can be engaged by pressing the switch in the centre console ( for light off road, snow use etc) but this will dis-engage automatically at about 18mph to protect the system from damage.

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
For those interested ,a copy of my Owner's Manual,page 6.50,is attached
This will help you understand my initial question better
the important bit is what I have put in a circle
Do you have to cycle through the screen options on the dash to get this to show?
Kia handbooks are anything but easy to understand.

Have you tried to cycle through the AWD lock button to see if display changes? While moving slowly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2017 GTLine 1.6GDI DCT AWD which is demand AWD (mostly FWD) True 4WD can be engaged by pressing the switch in the centre console ( for light off road, snow use etc) but this will dis-engage automatically at about 18mph to protect the system from damage.
Interesting ,we have the same car !
How do you select the cluster's AWD Autodisplay mode to display the status of how 4 wheels traction forces are distributed ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have to cycle through the screen options on the dash to get this to show?

Have you tried to cycle through the AWD lock button to see if display changes? While moving slowly.
I thought I had tried every possible avenue
I'll do as you say ,tryto cycle through the AWD button and let you know

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

just tried ,does not seem to work

·
Registered
188 Posts
indeed ,it is different
and it adds to the confusion !
I think you need to consult your supplying dealer for the definitive answer;)

My interpretation of AWD is all four wheels being capable of being driven on demand (automatically as a result of road conditions or forced (switched) by the driver). 4WD is all four wheels being driven permanently :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts