Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
Kinda disappointed with that facelift.

Picanto would be a prime target for a EV especially as Vauxhall have released the Corsa e.

Small car round town EV's should be a target market for companies like Kia. Target a price point sub £20K and these would be a killer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
They had pics of the latest Picanto vc i10 vs aygo in last weeks Auto Express doesnt look that different the engines might ne an improvement on the Kia though as the last one had been around a bit although I prefer to call it tried & tested

·
Registered
77 Posts
They had pics of the latest Picanto vc i10 vs aygo in last weeks Auto Express doesnt look that different the engines might ne an improvement on the Kia though as the last one had been around a bit although I prefer to call it tried & tested
That was just the new (2020) version of the Hyundai i10. The Picanto in the comparison review is the same model as last 2 years or so, and the Aygo since the year dot :devilish:

There should be a ‘new‘ Picanto later in the year. Edit: Ah, I see Kismet said that earlier :)

Oh, there is one difference in the current Picanto as they now come with auto stop/start as standard (and the inevitable price increase!)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hope its not to different as it looks good as did the last model imho the improved rear suspension & cloth quality in the current model is in part what attracted me to want one - they certainly have come on a long way since the Pride based on an old Mazda

·
Registered
135 Posts
More safety gear? It's already crammed! And what do you know - it's bigger! Why do they do this? I find a car that will fit my space and after a few years I want to get a new car and everything seems to have grown! Picanto -bigger; Fiesta - now as big as the old focus; Corsa - the size of a 90's Astra; MINI now a minibus. Could go on but you get the drift.

·
Registered
51 Posts
More safety gear? It's already crammed! And what do you know - it's bigger! Why do they do this? I find a car that will fit my space and after a few years I want to get a new car and everything seems to have grown! Picanto -bigger; Fiesta - now as big as the old focus; Corsa - the size of a 90's Astra; MINI now a minibus. Could go on but you get the drift.
Yes remembering the old Mini as I do I think the latest is a bit of a joke in so far as its grown fat maybe they should bring back the Maxi?

·
Registered
135 Posts
In 1971 I learnt to drive in an original Mini, a great little car. Although I think by that time they had got around to fitting proper release handles.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing i've always liked about the Picanto is its size, it's a genuinely small car but still versatile & surprisingly roomy (especially the boot).
So many cars now are much bigger than they need to be. The new Hyundai i10 has grown in size & is now a fair bit bigger than Picanto. Larger size is a depressing modern trend & does nothing to reduce our already overcrowded roads & car parks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
And increased weight with increased size. A car in the Picanto size class 35 years ago might have weighed around 750 to 830 kg. So Kia have done incredibly well actually to produce a car that in 2020 comes in the high 900 kg range when you consider the incredible strength and safety advantages of these modern cars, not to mention the weight of airbags, intrusion side bars, electric motors for all windows, equipment, etc, etc.

But other classes of car have gone beyond insane. A Ford Laser in 1985 weighed about 875 kg. The same class of car today weighs in around the mid 1300 to low 1400 kg range. A Holden Commodore from 1985 weighed around 1225 - 1275 kg. Those sorts of cars these days hit the 1600 - 1700 kg range very easily as do most mid-range SUVs.

When you think about it, it ins't just un-necessary size and bulk. Think of how little fuel a modern car would use if they just made them the same size as the cars of years gone by. If you had modern technology in cars that were the size and weight of cars from the 1980s, they would use around half the fuel of their earlier counterparts. People should perhaps go on diets if they think modern cars are cramped! The only car I ever sat in that truly was cramped was a Subaru Sherpa!! If you could even get your knees in between the seat and dashboard, you surely would have lost them both in a front ender!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm so glad my 2018 doesn't have this annoying feature!
Must admit I was dubious at first, but it is good if you can see there will be a considerable delay (roadworks for example). If it is obvious it will just be a short stop, stop/start traffic for example, you can over-ride it by keeping the clutch depressed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts