Kia Owners Club Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
This is the latest 2020 map data and we expect the next update in Q2. We'd welcome the chance to offer over-the-air updates or a portal for keepers to manage updates themselves. Over-the-air updates are in development at Kia Europe but we don't know what models they'll be applicable to yet.

KCS
So is there the potential that some of the kia line up may well get the option to download the maps at home without having to get it done at dealership? Although you do say OTA, so that wouldn’t include any cars would it that have to have the updates done on the sd card, I assume this is more the newer generation that have the SIM card using the new system?

·
Registered
817 Posts
OTA Software updates can be beset with problems as the system used has to cater for corruption or loss of data in the the OTA download. This means that units have to have enough spare memory to hold the new download until complete and enough computing power / memory left to do a check sum calculation / confirmation on the data downloaded. They then have to enter a local update process to ensure clean transfer to the operational side of the unit. This seems 'simple' but it's not if you are dealing with low powered processors and limited memory as most cheap skate car Nav units tend to be. When done from a SD card, or USB stick, the new data is always there to be reloaded if there is a stuff up, stuff up a OTA update and you are left with a brick that cannot connect.

I'm sure OTA will come but there is little hope of it being retrospective - it will most likely be on new units only.

·
Super Moderator
4,240 Posts
I would hope that any OTA would not be direct to car, given the sheer size that map updates can be. Ford last one was +8Gig... Even in a fast 4G area that is going to mean car being turned on for a long time while it downloads & then updates.
Would be far better to allow users to download to their PC's and then upload to device.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
817 Posts
I would hope that any OTA would not be direct to car, given the sheer size that map updates can be. Ford last one was +8Gig... Even in a fast 4G area that is going to mean car being turned on for a long time while it downloads & then updates.
Would be far better to allow users to download to their PC's and then upload to device.
The term OTA (Over The Air) means just that from the SW server direct to the end module (the car Nav unit) hence my observations. If that is not what was meant then the wrong term was used.

Oh I agree it's a lot of Data the Here Android Map for the UK is just over 1,025 MB

(Disclosure - I have a fair bit of experience with OTA software and database updates to GSM equipment in the rail industry and believe me it is challenging in structuring the data for transmission and managing it inside equipment)

·
Registered
107 Posts
The complete offline update for the new 10.25" displays which contains both sw and map updates is over 21 GB. Good luck downloading that over a flaky 3G mobile connection!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The complete offline update for the new 10.25" displays which contains both sw and map updates is over 21 GB. Good luck downloading that over a flaky 3G mobile connection!!
Aye but there's no reason to have it happen immediately or even in one session.

There's plenty of ways to implement the download using blocks of data over weeks or months if necessary. Then reassemble them once you have them all.

It's hardly rocket science - I did it on usenet (newsgroups) when we all had 56k modems back in the 1990s :) As in fact did IBM for OS/2 updates once upon a when. These days its almost trivial to do given burst speeds on most mobile services.

If there's really no mobile signal or its so intermittent that even the smallest block never completes then download it to your phone via your home broadband and transfer via USB/Bluetooth.

I don't see why it should ever require a dealership visit unless the update fails.

You all do more complex updates on your mobile phones and accept the risk as its pushed by the manufacturer so why does the dealer have to get involved to do the car?

The answer is of course money - specifically servicing revenue for the dealership. That's no bad thing for new(ish) cars but as the car ages options would be good & it'd probably help retain revenue for Kia if you didn't have to go to the dealer to update maps.

As an aside in case people don't know - you can download substantial portions of Google Maps UK to your phone for offline usage. I find it useful for areas I know have mobile blackspots. There's an option for offline maps somewhere in the app - basically draw a square and it'll download (and update) that area.

·
Super Moderator
4,240 Posts
Re above.
Do you think that the infotainment unit has much memory? To do what you say would need a large drive. Last map update & system update is 21 Gig. Even splitting that into smaller units needs storage space and then space to unpack.

Failed downloads was part of life in the old modem days. 14.4 kilobits was the speed I started with. If it failed it was start again.

£40 is not much income to a main dealer for a hours work.

Now if only Kia would allow the UK to access the download site that most of the rest of the world does... That would save a lot of complaints.
Download to PC, transfer to SD or USB stick & press update on head unit :)

Reactions: Turnup and foggy69

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Aye but there's no reason to have it happen immediately or even in one session.

There's plenty of ways to implement the download using blocks of data over weeks or months if necessary. Then reassemble them once you have them all.

It's hardly rocket science - I did it on usenet (newsgroups) when we all had 56k modems back in the 1990s :) As in fact did IBM for OS/2 updates once upon a when. These days its almost trivial to do given burst speeds on most mobile services.

If there's really no mobile signal or its so intermittent that even the smallest block never completes then download it to your phone via your home broadband and transfer via USB/Bluetooth.

I don't see why it should ever require a dealership visit unless the update fails.

You all do more complex updates on your mobile phones and accept the risk as its pushed by the manufacturer so why does the dealer have to get involved to do the car?

The answer is of course money - specifically servicing revenue for the dealership. That's no bad thing for new(ish) cars but as the car ages options would be good & it'd probably help retain revenue for Kia if you didn't have to go to the dealer to update maps.

As an aside in case people don't know - you can download substantial portions of Google Maps UK to your phone for offline usage. I find it useful for areas I know have mobile blackspots. There's an option for offline maps somewhere in the app - basically draw a square and it'll download (and update) that area.
Only if there is enough storage to hold it al and keep working while it trickles in. Phones have much smaller updates and much more free storage.l

·
Super Moderator
4,240 Posts
Any news on an update available for 2021 ?
June is the usual time for updates when you look back over the last few years.

Reactions: Radiorail

·
Registered
817 Posts
It's hardly rocket science -
Agreed it's not - but OTA is mainly constrained by the hardware in the sub unit. Fully agree the upgrade can be downloaded over a number of days but that does not reduce the data quantity (it increases as you have to add the overhead of packet monitoring and control). Data compression can reduce the on-air data transfer requirements but then there have to be mechanisms for 'un-zipping' the data in the car adding to the processing load and memory requirements.

The end unit needs to have at least double the memory needed for it's normal operation and current map data, and it needs to have spare processing to handle the download application at the same time as normal operation - in general the only time OTA would be possible is when there is a driver in the car driving. There then needs a separate mechanism for moving the newly downloaded dataset into operational memory and additional memory, and processing, to be able to move back should the upgrade fail 'to take'.

As this is a considerable additional load on the base Nav unit specification it is my guess that none of the current Kia head units have that much memory and processing capability available to handle OTA. If they had they would be a lot snappier in normal operation.

Microsoft can upgrade your Windows PC because the PC has tons of memory and data storage and processing power available in your PC - not so with your in car Nav unit. Similarly with upgrades to your phone SW - but I bet the Nav unit in most Kia' does not approach the cost (and thus capability) of the average smartphone.

Another consideration is load on servers. I'd hazard a guess that Kia's server farm probably could not handle a few hundred thousand low speed intermittent data connections when new SW/Map data became available. More customer dissatisfaction would occur.

OTA will no doubt be possible as new Nav unit hardware is introduced - or by default if car manufacturers admit defeat and drop Nav unit support in favour of Android Auto or Apple Car Play as some in this forum have suggested.

I do agree that Kia could make datasets available for off line download to SD card for subsequent updating of the Nav unit (maps being the obvious dataset) but then what happens if things go wrong? It's hardly realistic to expect Kia to fix the mess caused by you, in what is the equivalent of updating your PC BIOS, for free - remember you ticked through all the warnings just before you pressed 'Go'!

As a side note, in the current Nav unit I think the map data is held on the SD card so to introduce OTA there would have to be a SD card in place that could handle two maps (old and newly downloaded) what I don't know is how closely the dataset for the Map is incorporated with the other SW in the unit.

It is irritating to be charged £40 when it appears that in other markets Kia allows offline downloads for Nav unit updating. However the £40 is at the low end of the scale and many other car manufacturers charge more so probably reasonable value as it comes with a guarantee that it will work!

As for current Nav unit there is a snowball in hells chance of OTA ever being offered!

·
Registered
286 Posts
As a side note, in the current Nav unit I think the map data is held on the SD card so to introduce OTA there would have to be a SD card in place that could handle two maps (old and newly downloaded) what I don't know is how closely the dataset for the Map is incorporated with the other SW in the unit.
There is no SD card in my unit, or anywhere to put one, so I assume that my maps are stored in the head unit somewhere

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
When I brought my 67 plate Sportage in February a part of the deal was that the maps were up dated. But looking at these posts it doesn't look like they were. Can anyone tell my if these are the latest please.
IMG_1811.JPG

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,413 Posts
When I brought my 67 plate Sportage in February a part of the deal was that the maps were up dated. But looking at these posts it doesn't look like they were. Can anyone tell my if these are the latest please.
No. Your map version EUR.09. etc. is from 2017, the 2020 maps are EUR.12. etc.

·
Registered
817 Posts
There is no SD card in my unit, or anywhere to put one, so I assume that my maps are stored in the head unit somewhere
They must be stored somewhere!

Perhaps others will know, my impression from the comments in other threads was that most all Kia Nav units had an SD card 'somewhere'. A Google of kia sportage 2016+ where is sd card slot indicates there is one on many models.

Edit: others have indicated that some Nav units have internal memory possibly updated by USB connection. Even more reason why OTA will be unlikely for those units.

·
Registered
514 Posts
mr.macspot
Thank you.
I thought there was something wrong. I had the latest ones on my Soul and when I passed a cathedral near me it showed a drawing of it. That's not showing on the Sportage.
I have just sent an email complaining. Lets hope they sort it.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Perhaps others will know, my impression from the comments in other threads was that a all Kia Nav units had an SD card 'somewhere'. A Google of kia sportage 2016+ where is sd card slot indicates there is one on many models.
How old is you car. The older ones didn't have a SD card they were updated by having a USB drive inserted and updated by that

·
Super Moderator
4,240 Posts

Perhaps others will know, my impression from the comments in other threads was that a all Kia Nav units had an SD card 'somewhere'. A Google of kia sportage 2016+ where is sd card slot indicates there is one on many models.
I wonder if the new Gen 5 units have memory (sd card) built in, as upgrade path is via a USB stick.

·
Registered
286 Posts
How old is you car. The older ones didn't have a SD card they were updated by having a USB drive inserted and updated by that
Mine is a 70 plate, I know what an SD slot looks like and I can't see one anywhere unless it's covered up and 'discrete'. Maybe the systems with UVO operate differently?

101 - 120 of 131 Posts