Kia Owners Club Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Also noticed with the map update that there is now a secondary screen that appears when getting closer to turns or roundabouts (not sure if anyone mentioned this before) - it basically does a split screen.
That (or somerhing like that) was there before, it can be switched on/off in settings. Maybe the default after update is on?

·
Registered
552 Posts
That (or somerhing like that) was there before, it can be switched on/off in settings. Maybe the default after update is on?
The only thing it did before was a secondary screen I think with a static image of a lane for things like motorways. This is now a moving image which comes on when you are about 100 yards from a turn or roundabout etc, so you end up with the main map on half the screen on left and on the right side of the screen you now get a live view of the turn or approach to roundabout etc but not sure I like it to be honest.

·
Registered
817 Posts
This is now a moving image which comes on when you are about 100 yards from a turn or roundabout etc, so you end up with the main map on half the screen on left and on the right side of the screen you now get a live view of the turn or approach to roundabout etc but not sure I like it to be honest.
Thanks for the clarification will be interesting to see. I'll have to wait a month before my unit can be updated. Backlog at the service agent means I've been waiting 7 weeks to get a service appointment - though i wonder if that is because i have a prepaid Kia service plan rather than just paying the garage for whatever they want to charge?

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,413 Posts
The only thing it did before was a secondary screen I think with a static image of a lane for things like motorways. This is now a moving image which comes on when you are about 100 yards from a turn or roundabout etc, so you end up with the main map on half the screen on left and on the right side of the screen you now get a live view of the turn or approach to roundabout etc but not sure I like it to be honest.
It's lane assist (not to be confused with lane keep assist), it is supposed to help you find the correct lane to be in for a junction etc. We have a TomTom that also has it. Frankly it doesn't bother me, I generally am looking at the road, but each to their own. There is also now a side bar that has a list of the next three manoeuvrers, I quite like that as it forewarns you about what is ahead. The side bar also has a 'tab' that lists how far services are if you are on motorways.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for the clarification will be interesting to see. I'll have to wait a month before my unit can be updated. Backlog at the service agent means I've been waiting 7 weeks to get a service appointment - though i wonder if that is because i have a prepaid Kia service plan rather than just paying the garage for whatever they want to charge?
Yeah it’s def different but actually quite distracting as you can see the screen change out the corner of your eye so you want to look at it. I haven’t found a way of going back to just the map without this extra guidance screen popping up at every turn. I get it if it was just for main a roads and motorways or even to include busy or complex junctions but it comes on on every turn or roundabout so even a slight turn left or right will state turn right and then the screen pops up showing the right turn coming up and car and the arrow showing where you are in relation to the turn.

I’m sure it’s something I’ll get used to but just seems a strange addition as not seen it on any other sat nav systems I’ve used previously.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's lane assist (not to be confused with lane keep assist), it is supposed to help you find the correct lane to be in for a junction etc. We have a TomTom that also has it. Frankly it doesn't bother me, I generally am looking at the road, but each to their own. There is also now a side bar that has a list of the next three manoeuvrers, I quite like that as it forewarns you about what is ahead. The side bar also has a 'tab' that lists how far services are if you are on motorways.
Ah ok yes I get lane assist on motorways and dual carriageways but never seen it on just normal residential roads before but I guess any extra guidance is good and I’m sure I’ll get used to it as time goes on. Yes I saw this as well with the side bar showing next 3 turns but does it disappear for you when the lane assist pops up and then reappears again after?
the part about the services sounds quite promising as that something that does come in handy on motorways and longer journeys.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The next three turns has been on the maps for at least three years now, had a 2017 Niro which had it. Didn't come on automatically you had to activate it by pressing a button, not sure which now, in the bottom right hand corner of the map screen. Used to always find that very useful especially in areas where I was unfamiliar with the roads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I assume the latest software update does nothing to rectify the issue with Android Auto not fitting the whole of the 10.25 inch screens the way that Car Play does? This is really bugging me as a new owner and it would be good to have some communication from Kia about this and their plans (if any) to roll out a software update to allow Android Auto to take full advantage of these lovely wide-screens.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The next three turns has been on the maps for at least three years now, had a 2017 Niro which had it. Didn't come on automatically you had to activate it by pressing a button, not sure which now, in the bottom right hand corner of the map screen. Used to always find that very useful especially in areas where I was unfamiliar with the roads.
That's so - you could select it by the "button" RH bottom of the screen. However the latest update shows a lot more detail of the turns/roundabouts than before. The RH side split screen that shows the next three or four turns now has a box around the bottom turn/instruction. I guess making it clear that your sat nav instructions are from the bottom up!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I assume the latest software update does nothing to rectify the issue with Android Auto not fitting the whole of the 10.25 inch screens the way that Car Play does? This is really bugging me as a new owner and it would be good to have some communication from Kia about this and their plans (if any) to roll out a software update to allow Android Auto to take full advantage of these lovely wide-screens.

Hi

We reported this to our quality team as soon as we heard about it when these new screens came in. This in turn was passed on to Kia Europe where the development team is. If there is a future fix for this, it'll be included in one of the routine updates. We're sorry we can't do more to influence a modification as this now lies with Kia Europe.

KCS

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my Kia ceed to the garage to get updated it is definitely received the latest update but couldn’t quite work out which version compared to the software versions from last year. It looks like a definite improvement

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi all and thanks for your patience.

Kia UK are delighted to announce the release of the latest map and software updates for all factory fitted head units. All generations of head unit continue to require update installation at a dealer and all updates are available now.

A few points of interest:

• The RRP is £40 including VAT. This is to be retained by your dealer for their workshop time. The increase brings the procedure more in line with labour rates across the network as historically, the charge has been significantly less than the equivalent labour value.
  • Software updates will provide (when available) enhancements to items such as Bluetooth compatibility along with bug fixes.
  • Following the update, you may note both improvements and differences in the functionality and menu options. This year, significant changes have been made on later platforms - please be aware that once updated, it can't be reversed.
  • There are no retrospective updates for the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay apps above those models already made compatible in 2017.
  • We recommend you check your system info screen before and after the procedure to confirm the changes.
Want to know what your latest versions will be? Please see our table below. To avoid confusion, we're referencing by 2019 version numbers and not which model you're driving. This is because some longer running ranges can be fitted with any one of up to five generations of head unit. 'xx' is replaced by your model code.

View attachment 7381
Hi can the latest version be applied to the Venga if the preceding version has not yet been applied? Or do I have to pay 2x£40? I have System version YN.EU.SOP.10.178 ie the second one down in the table above.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would add that the previous version Venga cost £125 to update each time!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
You should be talking with your garage about that. The Kia recommended cost is £40 (up from £25 last year) If you have been charged £125 it is also worth contacting KCS for guidance. BTW the £40 all goes to the garage for time - Kia provide the updates to the garage for £0.

Also pretty sure you can skip an update so no need for 2 - but others here may confirm.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hi can the latest version be applied to the Venga if the preceding version has not yet been applied? Or do I have to pay 2x£40? I have System version YN.EU.SOP.10.178 ie the second one down in the table above.
Many thanks.
On my previous 2017 Sportage I didn't bother with the 2018 update, but took the 2019 update (£25 at the time). It was fine except it took longer than the dealer was expecting.

£125 wow!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2021 Sorento can anyone tell me if this is running the latest maps, please. Version EUR.12.41.551.401.2(D.F9) and is there any news of when this can be done by owners in the Uk like some of the other nations. It seems stupid my car needs to off the road at the dealers to do a simple software update.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I've got a 2021 Sorento can anyone tell me if this is running the latest maps, please. Version EUR.12.41.551.401.2(D.F9) and is there any news of when this can be done by owners in the Uk like some of the other nations. It seems stupid my car needs to off the road at the dealers to do a simple software update.
Yes, EUR.12.41 etc. is the current map version. New maps are usually released April to June. The use of the Kia download site has been discussed before (have a search of the forum) and Kia made it clear that this would not be available in the UK any time soon.

·
Super Moderator
4,240 Posts
It seems stupid my car needs to off the road at the dealers to do a simple software update.
Most people get it done at service time. So it not out of service at any other time.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Many thanks.

Yes, each update supersedes the previous versions so it makes no difference when you last had it updated.

KCS

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #100

This is the latest 2020 map data and we expect the next update in Q2. We'd welcome the chance to offer over-the-air updates or a portal for keepers to manage updates themselves. Over-the-air updates are in development at Kia Europe but we don't know what models they'll be applicable to yet.

KCS

81 - 100 of 131 Posts