Kia Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's not a case of that. More pointing out that no matter what a Sat Nav is never going to be up to date. Until real time updating is in place.
Not sure if that is possible at the moment, as to many mapping companies & no real way to keep it updated.
I guess if all cars had the camera that picked up speed limits, and the facility to upload that data. GPS tracking for new roads. It could be possible. But who is going to provide the mapping? Fund the cost of data?
Now that's a polite reply with some thought behind it. Capital and bold letting just means I'm being shouted at or treated as an idiot. I'm sure 99.9% of folk on here do realise that GPS/Infotainment systems can have some misgivings.
IMHO any assistance is good and I believe a warning is better than an action so an audible bleep might be effective each time the speed limit display changes. We can all live in hope.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You should never rely on ANY sat navigation system for speed limits.
They can change at any point. Unless councils who apply the changes have access to update ALL the various mapping providers, and systems are updated in real time. Then NO system is ever going to be fully up to date.
Some people will also never ever use it as they stay in area's where they know the roads and have no use for it. So will never update it.

Very much the same as you should not take the route given as gods truth. We have all seen the news reports of people blindly following the route and ending up stuck.

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

Kia provide the system as a guide nothing more nothing less.
(Feels like I'm back at school)

I don't think anyone (with that rare commodity "common sense") is suggesting that they depend on ANY sat navigation system much like one cannot depend on Lane Assist or Collision Avoidance systems. (end of hard of hearing assistance)

My position is that these systems are provided to assist the driver and as such should reasonably be expected to perform to the best capability available/possible. I agree that the driver holds PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY anyway.

With speed limits on country roads being downgraded, from the national road limits, to 50 MPH or in towns to 20 MPH, AND Councils being economical with the disposition of speed limit signs, it is very useful to be able to glance at the Nav screen to get confirmation that the road you have driven on, for the last 5 miles through open fields, is still a 50 MPH area. Yes no system will ever be 100% up to date BUT there are examples near me where dual carriageway roads, in open country, have been downgraded from 70 MPH through 60 MPH to 50 MPH over the last 5 years but are still represented as 70 MPH on the Nav unit. I know a particular road is now 50 MPH but a visitor, from outside the area, would be forgiven for not realising that the seemingly open road is not governed by National Road Speed Limits as the signage is (deliberately in my view) limited and to the absolute minimum. Now that would not be because of the speed camera positioned just around the corner from where the speed drops further to 40 MPH would it?

Equally you do need to look at route navigation with the some common sense - clearly idiots who turn left onto railway tracks have no common sense but their idiocy should not be used to justify deficiencies in systems which could be readily improved.

I don't expect, or depend, on the Sat Nav to be 100% up to date / accurate but I think it reasonable to expect 'best endeavours' are made to make updates available, to users, to address long standing deficiencies.

In that regard I keep wondering why the Kia Update Release Notes, which indicate the number of updates in each category (speed, junctions, roads etc,) seem available to Kia dealers only. In some previous years these have been "leaked" in these forums but I'd be impressed if Kia would release them to all - at least then there would be some understanding of the quantity of changes that have been made. (and thus we may think the £40 update fee is justified - I know it does not go to Kia but you should get my point).

P.S. as for "Kia provide the system as a guide nothing more nothing less." I disagree, Kia provides the system to entice purchasers of their cars and to not be at a marketing disadvantage to other suppliers. I'm sure that, if all suppliers agreed, they would be very happy NOT to provide Sat Nav units. Which would be more honest and indicate we should all use our phones. Nowhere in the sales blurb do Kia (or any other supplier AFAIK) say we don't aim to keep our units up to date. The phrase 'Annual Update' is banded around which most people would take to mean improvements and rectifications to the previous releases.

Maybe I just live in an area of the country where changes to road network and speed limits don't get through to the companies (not Kia) who collate and distribute the datasets to car manufacturers - which does not explain why the Here map on my phone seems to have the current speed limits and road network changes in place (I have not updated the map for 12 months or so BTW)

·
Registered
12 Posts
(Feels like I'm back at school)

I don't think anyone (with that rare commodity "common sense") is suggesting that they depend on ANY sat navigation system much like one cannot depend on Lane Assist or Collision Avoidance systems. (end of hard of hearing assistance)

My position is that these systems are provided to assist the driver and as such should reasonably be expected to perform to the best capability available/possible. I agree that the driver holds PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY anyway.

With speed limits on country roads being downgraded, from the national road limits, to 50 MPH or in towns to 20 MPH, AND Councils being economical with the disposition of speed limit signs, it is very useful to be able to glance at the Nav screen to get confirmation that the road you have driven on, for the last 5 miles through open fields, is still a 50 MPH area. Yes no system will ever be 100% up to date BUT there are examples near me where dual carriageway roads, in open country, have been downgraded from 70 MPH through 60 MPH to 50 MPH over the last 5 years but are still represented as 70 MPH on the Nav unit. I know a particular road is now 50 MPH but a visitor, from outside the area, would be forgiven for not realising that the seemingly open road is not governed by National Road Speed Limits as the signage is (deliberately in my view) limited and to the absolute minimum. Now that would not be because of the speed camera positioned just around the corner from where the speed drops further to 40 MPH would it?

Equally you do need to look at route navigation with the some common sense - clearly idiots who turn left onto railway tracks have no common sense but their idiocy should not be used to justify deficiencies in systems which could be readily improved.

I don't expect, or depend, on the Sat Nav to be 100% up to date / accurate but I think it reasonable to expect 'best endeavours' are made to make updates available, to users, to address long standing deficiencies.

In that regard I keep wondering why the Kia Update Release Notes, which indicate the number of updates in each category (speed, junctions, roads etc,) seem available to Kia dealers only. In some previous years these have been "leaked" in these forums but I'd be impressed if Kia would release them to all - at least then there would be some understanding of the quantity of changes that have been made. (and thus we may think the £40 update fee is justified - I know it does not go to Kia but you should get my point).

P.S. as for "Kia provide the system as a guide nothing more nothing less." I disagree, Kia provides the system to entice purchasers of their cars and to not be at a marketing disadvantage to other suppliers. I'm sure that, if all suppliers agreed, they would be very happy NOT to provide Sat Nav units. Which would be more honest and indicate we should all use our phones. Nowhere in the sales blurb do Kia (or any other supplier AFAIK) say we don't aim to keep our units up to date. The phrase 'Annual Update' is banded around which most people would take to mean improvements and rectifications to the previous releases.

Maybe I just live in an area of the country where changes to road network and speed limits don't get through to the companies (not Kia) who collate and distribute the datasets to car manufacturers - which does not explain why the Here map on my phone seems to have the current speed limits and road network changes in place (I have not updated the map for 12 months or so BTW)
I'm happy to live on pragmatism rather than be a person with a priggish attitudes to others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi team. I have a December 2019 Kia Ceed GT Line S (10.25 inch sat nav model) and I want to know whether any update will solve the fact that when I use Android Auto is doesn't utilise the entire screen - I have a black 'box' on the right hand side. It's really annoying - I sould surely be able to use AA full screen else what's the point of having a 10.25 inch system?

Thanks, Iain

@
Hi all and thanks for your patience.

Kia UK are delighted to announce the release of the latest map and software updates for all factory fitted head units. All generations of head unit continue to require update installation at a dealer and all updates are available now.

A few points of interest:

• The RRP is £40 including VAT. This is to be retained by your dealer for their workshop time. The increase brings the procedure more in line with labour rates across the network as historically, the charge has been significantly less than the equivalent labour value.
  • Software updates will provide (when available) enhancements to items such as Bluetooth compatibility along with bug fixes.
  • Following the update, you may note both improvements and differences in the functionality and menu options. This year, significant changes have been made on later platforms - please be aware that once updated, it can't be reversed.
  • There are no retrospective updates for the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay apps above those models already made compatible in 2017.
  • We recommend you check your system info screen before and after the procedure to confirm the changes.
Want to know what your latest versions will be? Please see our table below. To avoid confusion, we're referencing by 2019 version numbers and not which model you're driving. This is because some longer running ranges can be fitted with any one of up to five generations of head unit. 'xx' is replaced by your model code.

View attachment 7381

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
when I use Android Auto is doesn't utilise the entire screen - I have a black 'box' on the right hand side. It's really annoying - I sould surely be able to use AA full screen else what's the point of having a 10.25 inch system?

Thanks, Iain

@
Do you have power saver enabled on your phone? As this often causes issues with AA & head units.
Also which phone, Android version & AA version?

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Is your satnav screen the same aspect ratio (shape) as your phone screen?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hi team. I have a December 2019 Kia Ceed GT Line S (10.25 inch sat nav model) and I want to know whether any update will solve the fact that when I use Android Auto is doesn't utilise the entire screen - I have a black 'box' on the right hand side. It's really annoying - I sould surely be able to use AA full screen else what's the point of having a 10.25 inch system?

Thanks, Iain

@

Hi Iain

This has already been reported back to Kia Europe where the development team is. We hope a future update will enable this app to utilise the entire screen.

KCS

·
Registered
442 Posts
Most of it to be truthful, full of hot air, self justification and self importance in ones own priggish opinion.
Do we really need yards of repeated print with paraphrases written in bold and shouted at in capitals and full of waffle on a subject that is quite simplistic to most of us humans of at least normal intellect.
You obviously must believe you are conversing with lesser beings here on this forum and must spell out little detail and edit with whatever type of text to justify or to show off ones manner.
I find quite distasteful and unnecessary, if you have nothing better to do . . . get a hobby.
I think you might be reading it through your own filter. Certainly nothing in there to warrant your ad hominem response.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Most of it to be truthful, full of hot air, self justification and self importance in ones own priggish opinion.
Do we really need yards of repeated print with paraphrases written in bold and shouted at in capitals and full of waffle on a subject that is quite simplistic to most of us humans of at least normal intellect.
You obviously must believe you are conversing with lesser beings here on this forum and must spell out little detail and edit with whatever type of text to justify or to show off ones manner.
I find quite distasteful and unnecessary, if you have nothing better to do . . . get a hobby.
Response deleted - pointless.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts