Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car is a 20 plate and not quite 4 months old and I'm expected to pay for the 2020 upgrade. The cheek of you Kia

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
Think yourself lucky its only a Kia & £40 and not one of the other marques that charge much higher amounts. You could try bending your dealer on the age of the car and see if they will waive the fee, as it is their charge. Kia just set the max price.

Updates are only released once a year. They are provided by "Here"
TBH, even then they are not 100% correct.
Which is why many use Android Auto Or Apple car play which gives much more up to date mapping.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The other thing to bear in mind with a new car is that, depending on the date of production, it may well have a newer version of the software compared with the official 2019 edition. If you check the data in your car's settings against the list list of 2019 updates in the first post of this thread you may find differences indicating that you have a different and probably newer version. I know that when I bought my Sportage in May 2018 it was a newer version than the 2017 updates (which came out in June or July 2017) and so I did not bother with the 2018 updates which came out about 3 months later. The factory seem to get more frequent updates than the general customers.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There are a few good free apps that do the job ,WAZE appears to be pretty good from what I’ve read on other forums wonder if there are any recommendations on this forum?

·
Registered
410 Posts
There are a few good free apps that do the job ,WAZE appears to be pretty good from what I’ve read on other forums wonder if there are any recommendations on this forum?
WAZE and Google Maps (both Google products BTW) have many supporters in this forum. But there are still those of us who feel that having paid for a built in Nav unit we expect it to operate and be fit for purpose. Using Android Auto is a faff for me, the taking mobile out, plugging in, unplugging etc.

I have Here maps on my phone which has the benefit of not requiring on line connectivity but Google won't allow Here into their walled Android Auto garden so it's not a real in car alternative. I do use it in hire cars (mainly overseas where mobile data is expensive) with a screen mount for the phone and Bluetooth to the car speakers.

·
Registered
412 Posts
most of the time I have the iphone connected via wi fi hot spot/usb for a number of reasons ,speed camera locations and warnings,keeping phone charged,sending/receiving voice to text messages ,fuel station locations live price/locations etc etc but I do prefer the in inbuilt sat nav and annoying as it is to pay the £40 compared to the cost of the car and what some other manufactures charge it could be worse,I suppose there are some cheaper online deals but is it worth the risk ?

·
Registered
99 Posts

WAZE for me, love the editing options ... and I can add potholes as a reminder!

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
You want to live around here on waze she never stops telling me about a pothole 😂
I just say "Not there" as half that you get are nothing more than little bumps in the road. Even had some in the middle of roadworks where they are making a new roundabout.... Which clearly is not going to have a very smooth surface :unsure::eek:

·
Registered
442 Posts
WAZE and Google Maps (both Google products BTW) have many supporters in this forum. But there are still those of us who feel that having paid for a built in Nav unit we expect it to operate and be fit for purpose. Using Android Auto is a faff for me, the taking mobile out, plugging in, unplugging etc.

I have Here maps on my phone which has the benefit of not requiring on line connectivity but Google won't allow Here into their walled Android Auto garden so it's not a real in car alternative. I do use it in hire cars (mainly overseas where mobile data is expensive) with a screen mount for the phone and Bluetooth to the car speakers.
Purely playing devil's advocate, define fit for purpose. My nav is factory standard, 67 plate. It has literally guided me from one end of the country to the other, with no updates. Yes, it has its foibles, yes I occasionally laugh maniacally, as I ignore its directions and take a road it doesn't even know about, but in my mind I trust it to get me there. And it has. My old portable sat nav did the same for 8 years, again with no updates.

·
Registered
412 Posts
slightly off topic but I have a friend who replaced his car a couple of years ago and got the model with the spec he required which happens to have sat nav and Apple car play and to date has never used either because he never goes anywhere he hasn’t been before,the one time he traveled to an air show and there was a traffic hold up rather than attempt to use the sat nav for a detour he got his large road map out on his lap to try to find one and in doing so nearly ran into another vehicle and if he did ever use it he’s too tight to pay for any updates,ime sure the must be a moral too this tale🤔🥴😤

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all and thanks for your patience.

Kia UK are delighted to announce the release of the latest map and software updates for all factory fitted head units. All generations of head unit continue to require update installation at a dealer and all updates are available now.

A few points of interest:

• The RRP is £40 including VAT. This is to be retained by your dealer for their workshop time. The increase brings the procedure more in line with labour rates across the network as historically, the charge has been significantly less than the equivalent labour value.
  • Software updates will provide (when available) enhancements to items such as Bluetooth compatibility along with bug fixes.
  • Following the update, you may note both improvements and differences in the functionality and menu options. This year, significant changes have been made on later platforms - please be aware that once updated, it can't be reversed.
  • There are no retrospective updates for the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay apps above those models already made compatible in 2017.
  • We recommend you check your system info screen before and after the procedure to confirm the changes.
Want to know what your latest versions will be? Please see our table below. To avoid confusion, we're referencing by 2019 version numbers and not which model you're driving. This is because some longer running ranges can be fitted with any one of up to five generations of head unit. 'xx' is replaced by your model code.

View attachment 7381
@Kia Customer Service I picked up my Niro 4 (20 plate) on Monday from the dealership and the below is the firmware/software I have got. Should this be updated and should the dealership have updated this at the time?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Map EUR.11. is old, not actual ... the actual one is EUR.12. ...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
@Kia Customer Service I picked up my Niro 4 (20 plate) on Monday from the dealership and the below is the firmware/software I have got. Should this be updated and should the dealership have updated this at the time?

View attachment 7487
Hi APR77

This is the 2019 version as the 2020 update wasn't yet available when your car was manufactured. The dealer aren't liable for updating it if this wasn't in the sales agreement but we'd recommend asking the Sales Manager if they'll help out. Please PM us if you need anything else depending on the outcome.

KCS

·
Registered
410 Posts
Purely playing devil's advocate, define fit for purpose. My nav is factory standard, 67 plate. It has literally guided me from one end of the country to the other, with no updates. Yes, it has its foibles, yes I occasionally laugh maniacally, as I ignore its directions and take a road it doesn't even know about, but in my mind I trust it to get me there. And it has. My old portable sat nav did the same for 8 years, again with no updates.
My concerns relate to the accuracy in relation to displayed speed limits and map accuracy (like roads that have been in existance for 2 or 3 years but not yet on the maps.) The not fit for purpose comment was maybe over the top but it stems from exasperation from those who think the presence of AA and ACP (along with Google and Waze maps) negates Kia responsibility to keep the system as current as possible, noting the yearly update. I should add that Here, who provide the data set to Kia, are considersbly more up to date in their Android offering. I use the system regularly and, so far, have not been miss-directed that often, and only then when the Nav algorithm takes me 'the shortest route' round narrow back streets when a slightly longer direct road is available. I understand this may have been sorted in the lastest version by offering route selection. I'm sure that the Kia Nav system is very similar to other manufacturers offerings, but it could be so much better with just small improvements (hint let customers do self updates, include overspeed alerts and the abilty to move around the map via touch interface - at present touch the screen and you almost jump go the other side of the cohntry)

Oh and can we have a couple of voices to choose from :)

·
Super Moderator
3,283 Posts
I've had Navtek (as they were) and now Here maps on my mobile since 2005 and they've always been out of date!
In the early days they came as separate country files complete with date so you could see when the maps for each country were last updated.
I used to get a quarterly update from Navigon (laterly part of Garmin) and my last and final (full european) maps came in March 2020.
I still have an old Navigon 4 inch standalone with 2013 maps which have fewer (local) errors than my March 2020 maps!

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
You should never rely on ANY sat navigation system for speed limits.
They can change at any point. Unless councils who apply the changes have access to update ALL the various mapping providers, and systems are updated in real time. Then NO system is ever going to be fully up to date.
Some people will also never ever use it as they stay in area's where they know the roads and have no use for it. So will never update it.

Very much the same as you should not take the route given as gods truth. We have all seen the news reports of people blindly following the route and ending up stuck.

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

Kia provide the system as a guide nothing more nothing less.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should never rely on ANY sat navigation system for speed limits.
They can change at any point. Unless councils who apply the changes have access to update ALL the various mapping providers, and systems are updated in real time. Then NO system is ever going to be fully up to date.
Some people will also never ever use it as they stay in area's where they know the roads and have no use for it. So will never update it.

Very much the same as you should not take the route given as gods truth. We have all seen the news reports of people blindly following the route and ending up stuck.

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

Kia provide the system as a guide nothing more nothing less.
Crikey have I joined a kinder garden. I now feel totally scolded and I wasn't even involved in this particular part of the topic.

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
Crikey have I joined a kinder garden. I now feel totally scolded and I wasn't even involved in this particular part of the topic.
It's not a case of that. More pointing out that no matter what a Sat Nav is never going to be up to date. Until real time updating is in place.
Not sure if that is possible at the moment, as to many mapping companies & no real way to keep it updated.
I guess if all cars had the camera that picked up speed limits, and the facility to upload that data. GPS tracking for new roads. It could be possible. But who is going to provide the mapping? Fund the cost of data?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts