Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all and thanks for your patience.

Kia UK are delighted to announce the release of the latest map and software updates for all factory fitted head units. All generations of head unit continue to require update installation at a dealer and all updates are available now.

A few points of interest:

• The RRP is £40 including VAT. This is to be retained by your dealer for their workshop time. The increase brings the procedure more in line with labour rates across the network as historically, the charge has been significantly less than the equivalent labour value.
  • Software updates will provide (when available) enhancements to items such as Bluetooth compatibility along with bug fixes.
  • Following the update, you may note both improvements and differences in the functionality and menu options. This year, significant changes have been made on later platforms - please be aware that once updated, it can't be reversed.
  • There are no retrospective updates for the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay apps above those models already made compatible in 2017.
  • We recommend you check your system info screen before and after the procedure to confirm the changes.
Want to know what your latest versions will be? Please see our table below. To avoid confusion, we're referencing by 2019 version numbers and not which model you're driving. This is because some longer running ranges can be fitted with any one of up to five generations of head unit. 'xx' is replaced by your model code.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks KCS for that information. The good news is that there is a further update to the infotainment system - the bad news is that the rate for having the work done at a dealership has leapt up from a pony to a bill and benner short of a bullseye!

No mention of VAT there, I note! Next time I’m in the UK, I shall try and source the material elsewhere rather than pay a dealer for something that should be included free at service time.

£25 inc VAT to £40…inc VAT or maybe not? I don’t remember that kind of inflation when we were in the EU so is this a portent of things to come?

·
Super Moderator
2,955 Posts
Not impressed by the increase in the charge. But at least it' still cheaper than other marques.

Just to clarify.
Will system updates be done free of charge when car is serviced & without being asked. If you decide not to update the maps?
Or do they have to be installed as one. And incur the charge?

As £40 for maps that are still out of date, even when only just installed, when you can use update mapping for free.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was recently told by my dealer that software updates are carried out at each service as part of it but that mapping was only on request and cost extra - be interesting to know if that is the same everywhere

·
Administrator
7,493 Posts
As iooi says it's still more then competitive to other marques.

I think the £25 rate we have enjoyed over the past few years was clearly discounted.

Paul

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I hear whats been said about the cost involved but just to give some factual detail in support of my displeasure at KIA’s increased charge, in the case of the most recent update, with the files properly downloaded, prepared and copied to an SD card, it took precisely 11 minutes from installing the new card, ignition on and pressing the screen prompt to start copying the new SW/FW and latest (then) mapping till completion.

There was no need to start the engine. Four cockles for that? Not VFM, I’m afraid

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think it would be easier parting with £40 (which is quite a jump from £25/30) if it didn't seem that European Kia owners can do it themselves for free

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great, so now I can pay £40 to have someone else update my software to exactly the same version I updated it to myself over 4 months ago???

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Just so I know, what updates do you get for £40? Is that just the cost for (the already out if date) road maps?
I take it service updates that make your vehicle work better are included in the regular service schedule? Or am I wrong

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The RRP of £40 includes VAT.

Dealers check for routine software updates and ECM improvements at every service free of charge. This annual update supplies the latest map from HERE and other product enhancements to the infotainment system if available.

KCS

·
Super Moderator
2,955 Posts
The RRP of £40 includes VAT.

Dealers check for routine software updates and ECM improvements at every service free of charge. This annual update supplies the latest map from HERE and other product enhancements to the infotainment system if available.

KCS
Si in effect if there is a update to the infotainment system & you do not want the maps updated. The Infotainment system will not be updated then.
Seems a bit unfair. Given mapping is separate from the base system.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I tried it and it seems not to be open yet

View attachment 7391
The dropdown box offers USA, Korea and Canada. But there seem to be more regions in the software itself. I'd love to be able to do my own. Hope we can in due course.

My dealer is good, but its a bit of a faff taking the car in for the new maps and software.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yes, Given the price increase as well then it would be handy to be able to do this job myself. I’m sure a lot of people would opt to if the option was there. Also, doesn’t seem very fair if most other regions get to use the ‘DIY’ option but the UK is told they have to get it done at a dealers and only the dealer can update, if that’s the case then why?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
The dropdown box offers USA, Korea and Canada. But there seem to be more regions in the software itself. I'd love to be able to do my own. Hope we can in due course.

My dealer is good, but its a bit of a faff taking the car in for the new maps and software.
It makes no difference which drop down country you choose, you can't download the updater programme.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It makes no difference which drop down country you choose, you can't download the updater programme.
For a short while you could download it if you selected US in the dropdown menu. I tried it but what it actually downloaded was an update program that, although you could run it in English as well as Korean, only downloaded the Korean version of the software, so not very useful.

I'm tracking changes to update.kia.com and get an alert if anything changes. They are clearly working on it, but progress is slow and very gradual.

EDIT: Just had another look and if you change the country in the settings to US instead of KOR it will actually download the US version of the software.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I'm not sure which one I have... my Software version is listed as...

JD_17MY.EUR.SOP.006.5.181002

Is anyone able to help me work out which one I should be looking at? My guess is the Orange/Peach coloured one.

Many thanks,

Moley

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is an old one: 181002 ... (2018) the actual one is 191209 (2019) or younger ...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts