Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. Now that the updates cost 40 not 25 pounds in UK, I am only going to update the system every 2years. Several reasons, maps are not 'up to date' on the latest versions anyway, I use android auto and Waze which is reasonably up todate and I understand the standard screen display on the 2020 updates have deleted the phone signal strength and phone battery levels(why?)
The ECM etc updates which are important are done anyway during annual services, so I don't feel the media side is that important!
Any views out there!
h2onorth

·
Registered
99 Posts
I guess if you will be primarily using a mobile device with maps through android or apple its not great value. Main benefits if you don't use a mobile, occasions when you have poor 4. I have TomTom Go that has maps on the phone the unit in the car is powered TomTom i believe but the mobile is updated far more often per year

·
Registered
4 Posts
So it says here 7-YEAR MAP UPDATE that we are entitled to 7 years' worth free updates. How come they're charging us? BTW it's now £45, and the latest map update will arrive to the garages 'sometime in October' :confused:.

On a related note, I have a Kia Niro 2016, and Android auto doesn't work, even though there's an App in the car as part of the entertainment system. Does anyone know how to fix that? It fails to connect, even with a cable. Or it connects and then crashes after minutes. I have an Android phone, fyi.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
BTW it's now £45
Welcome to the forum, ‘Yish77’.

Where did you receive the information that the charge is now £45.00? I ask because perhaps I am confused, believing that the increase from the inclusive fee of £25.00 had increased to £40.00 including VAT.

I cannot help with your problem re AA as I don’t use it but I’m sure there are other Android users who are au fait with that application in the Niro.

·
Super Moderator
3,160 Posts
So it says here 7-YEAR MAP UPDATE that we are entitled to 7 years' worth free updates. How come they're charging us? BTW it's now £45, and the latest map update will arrive to the garages 'sometime in October' :confused:.

On a related note, I have a Kia Niro 2016, and Android auto doesn't work, even though there's an App in the car as part of the entertainment system. Does anyone know how to fix that? It fails to connect, even with a cable. Or it connects and then crashes after minutes. I have an Android phone, fyi.
The link relates to Eire, not UK.

As to Android Auto.
What phone, version of Android & Android Auto do you have.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Have you downloaded Android Auto onto your phone

·
Registered
4 Posts
My phone is running Android 10 os and I have the latest version5.5.602944-release.

I don't know how to find out the version of Android auto in the car - it's the one that came with a 2016 model Niro.

·
Registered
446 Posts
...............and Android auto doesn't work, even though there's an App in the car as part of the entertainment system. Does anyone know how to fix that? It fails to connect, even with a cable. Or it connects and then crashes after minutes.
If AA sometimes connects but then disconnects it could well be a cable problem. Many second source cables are poor at data transfer. Another line of investigation is if your phone has battery optimisation set generally of for the APP. Also check that your phone AA APP is up-to date.

The other matter could be the age of the AA installation in the car - Google messed around with AA over the years and earlier versions no longer work well with the latest phone APP. You would be well advised to get the car updated along with other Nav system 'improvements'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, my infotainment software is 12.001.2 - but I actually got it working this morning! I used a good cable, went to the Android Auto app on my phone, About, then clicked on 'connect to a car' and followed the instructions. It turns out you have to approve some blurb before it works.Thanks for your help, everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts