Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.....

I've got a 2019 Sportage 1.6 petrol Manual that's developed a worrying problem - I'm unable to get it into reverse!!

A few days ago when I reversed out of a Driveway, The gearbox seemed to get stuck coming out gear when going from reverse to neutral. Managed to free it but the gear change became lumpy and it didn't spring left/right when in neutral. After a while it seemed to right itself and went back to when it used to operate. Gear changes became normal again, selecting all gears as it should without issue.
It happened again last night, and again managed to get it back to neutral but after that it now wont engage reverse. I can put it in to gearbox as its engaged, but theres not movement in the car.

All other gears will select fine, which makes me think its not a clutch problem. Could it be the linkage or synchromesh?

Has anyone had a similar issue?
Local dealership service centre is closed until next week - Hoping that Kia Owners Club members might have some information to stop me worrying at least!!

Thanks in advance and Happy New year!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hello all.....

I've got a 2019 Sportage 1.6 petrol Manual that's developed a worrying problem - I'm unable to get it into reverse!!

A few days ago when I reversed out of a Driveway, The gearbox seemed to get stuck coming out gear when going from reverse to neutral. Managed to free it but the gear change became lumpy and it didn't spring left/right when in neutral. After a while it seemed to right itself and went back to when it used to operate. Gear changes became normal again, selecting all gears as it should without issue.
It happened again last night, and again managed to get it back to neutral but after that it now wont engage reverse. I can put it in to gearbox as its engaged, but theres not movement in the car.

All other gears will select fine, which makes me think its not a clutch problem. Could it be the linkage or synchromesh?

Has anyone had a similar issue?
Local dealership service centre is closed until next week - Hoping that Kia Owners Club members might have some information to stop me worrying at least!!

Thanks in advance and Happy New year!!
We have a similar problem with our manual GT Line & when we had our service i mentioned it & they said synchromesh but would have to strip gearbox & they would need car for 2-3 days but no loan car were available so we declined the added work until we could either spare the car for 3 days which at the moment we cannot as mrs is a nurse & i travel a lot with work or a loan car becomes available & the dealership would contact me in New Year.
We have ordered a new Sportage now so not that worried about it now as the fault is intermittent

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply.
That’s what I thought, it’s nothing too major.
Hopefully my local dealer will be able to sort without too much distribution.
Is this a warranty fix or will I be footing the bill?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply.
That’s what I thought, it’s nothing too major.
Hopefully my local dealer will be able to sort without too much distribution.
Is this a warranty fix or will I be footing the bill?
It should be warranty as long as clutch is unaffected
(y)

Reactions: Jjay666

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
215 Posts
It should be warranty as long as clutch is unaffected
(y)
Doesn't sound like a clutch problem as it only affects reverse. You haven't stated the mileage. The most likely is gear selector cables or linkage out of adjustment. It could be an internal gearbox fault. Reverse gear doesn't usually have a syncromesh but it could still have a fault with the gears movement. Sounds like a warranty job.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had problems with selecting gears on my Gt line petrol MY2019 It would sometimes jam in 1st gear and there was excessive play in gear stick, making it hit and miss changing into 4th,5th or 6th. It was an extremely worn, to virtually nothing, turret bush on top of gearbox or in the linkage. All fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies….

car has done just under 28k miles, when we got it at 3 months old it already had 8k miles on the clock which has been a slight worry. But we did get a great deal on the car. The car is presently worth more then the finance on the car so planning to replace it as soon as we can for a hybrid.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
215 Posts
Thanks for your replies….

car has done just under 28k miles, when we got it at 3 months old it already had 8k miles on the clock which has been a slight worry. But we did get a great deal on the car. The car is presently worth more then the finance on the car so planning to replace it as soon as we can for a hybrid.
Happy New Year. Would you get the full price with an obvious fault

1 - 11 of 11 Posts