Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sportage Im due to pick up on thursday, i noticed the electric hand brake was noisy, my optima and my present proceed you cant hear it.
anyone else got this problem.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I picked up a 1.6 T-gdi DCT last Thursday and I haven't heard any noise from the parking brake.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,436 Posts
Apart from a quiet buzz from the actuator, and you have to listen for it, there isn't that much noise.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apart from a quiet buzz from the actuator, and you have to listen for it, there isn't that much noise.
This was loud, but no radio on, my proceed and the optima were whisper quiet. Will mention it to the salesman and to log it with service desk.

·
Registered
317 Posts
This was loud, but no radio on, my proceed and the optima were whisper quiet. Will mention it to the salesman and to log it with service desk.
Quite whisper is all you can hear on my 2020 Sportage. I'd ring the garage and get them to check it out before you take delivery. .

·
Registered
361 Posts
Same here - you can hear mine - not alarmingly loud but you can hear the motors whirring.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yep same on mine. When engaging epb there is a a mechanical (almost robotic) type noise for 1-2 seconds as it engages brake. Perfectly normal as far as I’m aware.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I can't make up my mind whether it's a difference in people's perception in regard to the sound of the EPB actuation or a difference in the installation between one car and another.

In my Optima, I struggle to hear the sound if the radio is on but with the radio/music switched off, it is just possible to hear a slight whirr for perhaps a second which I find rather reassuring.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can't make up my mind whether it's a difference in people's perception in regard to the sound of the EPB actuation or a difference in the installation between one car and another.

In my Optima, I struggle to hear the sound if the radio is on but with the radio/music switched off, it is just possible to hear a slight whirr for perhaps a second which I find rather reassuring.
That's what I find as well.

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
44 Posts
Seems normal to me, all cars that I have owned with EPB's have had some sound when operated.
I find it reassures me not to hear the sound when I park in my drive and purposely leave the EPB off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Seems normal to me, all cars that I have owned with EPB's have had some sound when operated.
I find it reassures me not to hear the sound when I park in my drive and purposely leave the EPB off.
Is that the sound of the car rolling into a wall? ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't see it moving far in park mode. I don't see the point of using the handbrake in my own drive on the flat. Too many issues with previous cars and handbrake being stuck on after car stood for a while.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't see it moving far in park mode. I don't see the point of using the handbrake in my own drive on the flat. Too many issues with previous cars and handbrake being stuck on after car stood for a while.
From what I've read so far this is not good practice, as it can put stress on the parking pawl and maybe eventually fail.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Really. On a level drive!
Hasn't caused a problem in my last 4 autos.
I've definitely had more problems with sticking calipers and pads from being held against the discs then gearbox issues on a car sat on a flat drive. It isn't as if I try and push it manually to damage the pawl.
I only disable it on my drive when the car is being stood for a few days or longer.
I always use the handbrake when it's parked elsewhere.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It was always in gear and handbrake on to be sure. I've had a couple of bad experiences with handbrakes, it makes you a bit paranoid when you see your car isn't quite where you left it.

I've never experienced a sticking brake, but the car never gets left for more than a week at a time.

I do like the EPB, especially being able to pull away without releasing it manually.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The sportage Im due to pick up on thursday, i noticed the electric hand brake was noisy, my optima and my present proceed you cant hear it.
anyone else got this problem.
Update on handbrake, when i picked the car up it was fine,and has been since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts