Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dct auto. . Clutch judder when cold. Ok when warmed up. Anyone got the same problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Funny mine is the same and kia told me it was just me not being familiar with the new clutch . It was never an issue with my VW

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny mine is the same and kia told me it was just me not being familiar with the new clutch . It was never an issue with my VW
They think we are all fools, im a retired mechanic. Told the service manager To dont talk to me as a fool., if it judders theres something not right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They think we are all fools, im a retired mechanic. Told the service manager To dont talk to me as a fool., if it judders theres something not right.
WILCO I send uou a reply last night to one of your older posts about solving the problem with your headlights, not sure if you seen it . Look back on post about you made about 2 months ago and hopefully that will help you out

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you still got the clutch judder, is your the dct auto like mine, cant under stand it as it will creep no prob but soon as i touch the throttle it judders, im thinking now it might be the engine trying to cut out. Once its done it its fine. Only does it when its cold.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some of these do suffer from clutch judder on the clutch pack. These are interchangeable. If they are shuddering there is a issue. If they confirm the fault they should solve the issue. Try and road test with the technician so they can feel it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you still got the clutch judder, is your the dct auto like mine, cant under stand it as it will creep no prob but soon as i touch the throttle it judders, im thinking now it might be the engine trying to cut out. Once its done it its fine. Only does it when its cold.
Mine is manual box and dropping from third to second or second to first in traffic is very jumpy / shuddery
Rrp told me it just take a bit of time to get used to new clutch

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of these do suffer from clutch judder on the clutch pack. These are interchangeable. If they are shuddering there is a issue. If they confirm the fault they should solve the issue. Try and road test with the technician so they can feel it.
I will go to the dealer next week and tell them again. See what they say.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
With respect, ‘Wilco’, I think you may have drawn the wrong conclusion from the symptoms you describe. Does this make sense?

If the car only displays this judder on first start up on cold days when you gently squeeze the throttle to pull away, but then behaves perfectly thereafter, then the clutches are fine. It would repeat the judder on subsequent occasions were there a problem with the clutches (well, one of them) under load.

There is anti-stall technology built into these cars and I believe that is exactly the phenomenon that is at work on that first start-up rather than a clutch problem.

I have experienced a little judder rarely but when it has occurred, it has been on the coldest winter mornings and has never presented that way in summer. On one occasion, a bitterly cold morning, I sat with my foot lightly on the throttle - about 1800 rpm - until the temperature gauge had risen to about halfway to its normal setting and the car then pulled away without any judder. Usually, my car is parked overnight on a slight upward slope that adds to the inertia that must be overcome by a cold engine.

The judder might have occurred, perhaps a dozen times in the 40+ months I have owned the car and has manifested itself only on extremely cold mornings. If, of course, you experience judder frequently, then perhaps there is something else going on but it sounds to me like the anti-stall is working as it should.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info, yes only does it from cold, will ask the deal if the antistall can be adjusted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another frightening thing happened 4 days ago, went to over take a wagon, a couple of quick downshifts on the paddle on the steering wheel paddle , wrong side of the road and engine revving and no drive for a second. Then clutch went in and away we go., bit frightening. Just used kick down since and thats ok.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
a couple of quick downshifts on the paddle on the steering wheel paddle , wrong side of the road and engine revving and no drive for a second. Then clutch went in and away we go., bit frightening. Just used kick down since and thats ok.
I don’t think any dual clutch transmission likes two successive down-changes performed rapidly. It’s the same with pedal-to-the-metal acceleration but it’s all part of the learning process required with this type of gearbox. Once understood and driving style adapted to suit, the vehicle responds beautifully but any notions comparing DCT with manual or fluid coupling auto systems should be ignored. DCT works differently and is very rewarding once acclimatised to its foibles.

Would I have another? Absolutely!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don’t think any dual clutch transmission likes two successive down-changes performed rapidly. It’s the same with pedal-to-the-metal acceleration but it’s all part of the learning process required with this type of gearbox. Once understood and driving style adapted to suit, the vehicle responds beautifully but any notions comparing DCT with manual or fluid coupling auto systems should be ignored. DCT works differently and is very rewarding once acclimatised to its foibles.

Would I have another? Absolutely!
Yes works fine , just thought it would be like my sons m3 very quick and sharp changes. As in bang, bang down two gears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts