Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody any issue with the cruise control on the new 2019 1.6 diesel optima
Driving at 70 mph hit set and it drops gradually down to 63 and then builds back up to 73 and back down and sets at 70
Very dangerous dropping speed like that on the motorway
Must be some flaw in the software
I took out another 19 optima from the garage and it was exact same but the sportage when you set it stays at 70 and does not move
Any advice appreciated

·
Registered
253 Posts
I suspect from what you describe that you are using the adaptive control feature. Depending on how many car lengths you have set ( range of 1 to 4 from memory), will determine when your car will settle on the chosen speed. I think in the example you describe, your car thought it was too close to the vehicle in front and therefore slowed to create the appropriate gap before it climbed up to the chosen speed.

Incidentally, there was a recall last year on my own 2018 Optima SW for a software tweak which was related to cruise control. I wonder if this recall is relevant to your car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thsnks for that but there iis no adaptive cruise on it
I have the K2 model

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I took out another 19 optima from the garage and it was exact same
From your opening post, my inclination was the same as that of 'Tommo21'. However, If, as you say, your model is not equipped with ACC, then there is something wrong with at least two cars.

Did you purchase the car from a franchised KIA dealer? If so, what is the mileage and does it remain compliant with the warranty provisions? You mentioned 'the garage', where you tried another similar model so, whether a KIA dealership or an independent car seller, what did the person you spoke to about the problem have to say?

You are right in imagining that CC should not behave in that fashion so if there is a fault present, it should be put right under warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has anybody any issue with the cruise control on the new 2019 1.6 diesel optima
Driving at 70 mph hit set and it drops gradually down to 63 and then builds back up to 73 and back down and sets at 70
Very dangerous dropping speed like that on the motorway
I took out another 19 optima from the garage and it was exact same but the sportage when you set it stays at 70 and does not move
Any advice appreciated
Hi , you sent me an email (wilco) throgh the forum , about the third adjuster you found on the optima head light.
Could you please take a photo of where it is and send it to me at.
wilcock46 -at- btinternet.com Would be really appreciated. Alan.
cant help on the cruise control as never used it.

Have edited the email so it is not fully shown. Just replace with the usual symbol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From your opening post, my inclination was the same as that of 'Tommo21'. However, If, as you say, your model is not equipped with ACC, then there is something wrong with at least two cars.

Did you purchase the car from a franchised KIA dealer? If so, what is the mileage and does it remain compliant with the warranty provisions? You mentioned 'the garage', where you tried another similar model so, whether a KIA dealership or an independent car seller, what did the person you spoke to about the problem have to say?

You are right in imagining that CC should not behave in that fashion so if there is a fault present, it should be put right under warranty.
There is 4000 miles and only 6 months old
I highlighted the issue 2 days after buying it , garage said first i just the way kia cruise control works but when told to replace the car they say it requires an update but there is none available at minute and might not be for 6 months
Spoofing i think but i hope not

There is warranty on it , the car is only 6 months old and has 4000 mile on it, Kia garage i bought it from looked at it and said it was a KIa issue and not much they could do , they reckon KIa is working on a software update , i hope thats the truth and they not spoofing me of , said it could take up to 6 months

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
There is warranty on it , the car is only 6 months old and has 4000 mile on it, Kia garage i bought it from looked at it and said it was a KIa issue and not much they could do , they reckon KIa is working on a software update , i hope thats the truth and they not spoofing me of , said it could take up to 6 months
To that end, have you tried running the matter past KIA Customer Support in this forum? They may well be able to reassure you (or otherwise) about any forthcoming software update designed to correct the cruise control flaw.

KCS can liaise with the dealer concerned and with KIA UK so they may be able to furnish you with progress towards having a fix performed. Meantime, your cruise control simply fails to do what it should do and that is unacceptable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Emailed kia customer care yesterday , very helpful man who said he was unaware of the issue but would check it out with technical team on monday and let me know
I will keep you posted

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kia came back to me this week and informed me that they are are aware of the issue and are awaiting a software update, fingers crossed it will solve it , but god only knows how long that going to take

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, just wanted to say I bought a 2019 Kia Optima Sportswagon 3 weeks ago and have observed the cruise control behaving the exact same way. I could be sitting on 70mph and set the cruise control at that speed, lift my foot off the accelerator and it will drop to 65mph and creep up. Another odd thing is, after finally settling on 70mph, if i lightly touch the accelerator and go to 71mph and take my foot off again, it will again drop to about 65mph and creep back up to 70. Glad to hear they are aware of this issue as it really annoyed me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ciaran
I assume it a uk import into the south
Its very annoying its also dangerous on the motorway when you pass a car and hit cruise it should stay but it keeps dropping
They are aware of it but will they do anything about it is another story
Curious to know did you mention to your kia dealer and what was their response

I would also say you probably have issue with your headlights up in the sky leaving a black shadow line when driving at night. Seems to be an issue with that model
If you have get back to me on it and i will help you out on it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've only really used the cruise control last night for the first time so I haven't said anything to the dealer yet. And with regards to the lights, yep have the exact problem and I think it's your post or someone else's I've seen with the fix which I will try this evening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes i sent the fix to Wilco and he has all the info up on how to do it
Have you a way of refocusing your dips
If not you will have to go and get them refocused

1 - 13 of 13 Posts