Kia Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2019 Map / Software updates

78K views 262 replies 67 participants last post by  Daukaz 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all and thanks for your patience.

Kia UK are delighted to announce the release of the latest map and software updates for all factory fitted head units. Our dealers are now receiving their SD cards. We'd ask that you allow them this coming week to prepare and test the updates. Please make enquiries from 1st July if you'd like to arrange a booking.

A few points of interest:

- The charge is fixed at £25 inc VAT. This is to be retained by your dealer for their workshop time.
- Software updates will provide (when available) enhancements to items such as Bluetooth compatibility along with bug fixes.
- Following the update, you may note both improvements and differences in the functionality and menu options.
- There are no retrospective updates for the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay apps above those models already made compatible in 2017.
- We recommend you check your system info screen before and after the procedure to confirm the changes.

Want to know what your latest versions will be? Please see our table below. To avoid confusion, we're referencing by 2018 version numbers and not which model you're driving. This is because some longer running ranges can be fitted with any one of up to four generations of head unit. 'xx' is replaced by your model code.

Kind regards

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit ERROR - en | Kia Motors UK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk
Follow us @KiaUK on twitter

Call centre opening hours:

Monday to Friday - 8:30am - 7pm
Saturday: 9am - 1pm
Sunday: Closed

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Nope, all the map updates I`ve had done coincided with my annual services and the £25 was added on top of the service price

:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Anyone know of what exactly the update covers. Is it just a map update or any other features been added to the system software for the AV unit?

Just recently had service done and was told they weren't expecting the update until later in the year, possibly even November but appears that was wrong and update has come out similar to last year. Guess I'll have to get booked in a again.

#9 ·
I agreed with my dealer that the map update would be done FOC at my main service in April.
However the 2019 update hadn't been released by then so couldn't be included.

I will be reminding him of this earlier offer when my oil-change service is done in October!

#10 ·
As luck would have it my Sportage has a service at the end of the week and I had requested a map/software update. Yesterday the dealer confirmed that they had the 2019 updates already and that was what my car would getting. I will have to see what, if anything, has changed.

#12 ·
Hi 'zeroburn' and welcome to the forum.

Does this answer your question from an earlier post in this thread?

There are no retrospective updates for the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay apps above those models already made compatible in 2017.

#15 ·
I'm not quite sure to whom that is directed but quite a few forum members, (me included), have downloaded and successfully installed the software some time ago that has only come on-stream recently at the KIA dealerships.

Is there anything in particular that you want to know about with regard to the new firmware or the new mapping?

In my opinion, the 'Here' maps are little better than before but I'm not sure exactly how much has been updated but I fear that most people won't notice any difference - Google, Waze and Apple maps are more up-to-date and with an internet connection in the car, can provide traffic updates and so on reliably.

I described the update previously as rather underwhelming and I retain that view today.

There are times when I wonder if the German carmakers who own 'Here' deliberately keep the 'Here' offerings available to their competitors a bit behind the best systems available but they wouldn't do anything like that……would they?

Reactions: Sad555 and iooi
#20 ·
I own Sorento LX 2017 bought in Bulgaria. VIN: KNAPH81BDH5336653 . Is it eligble for CarPlay upgrade?
KIA customer support who help with lots of matters within these pages will be able to provide you with the definitive answer on that but I think if your car already supports Android Auto, then Apple CarPlay is attainable via an update.

My car, late 2016 Optima SW, came with Android installed and the first software update in 2017 provided Apple CarPlay.

I hope you're in luck.

#18 ·
I had mine updated a week before the Kia official 2019 release at the first service and was wondering if my maps were still in date as I didn’t notice any additional features but looking at the 2019 kia release my maps are 2018 and not the 2019 but the kia dealer has offered to update foc ,,,,,so good on KIA.

#26 ·
There are only two options in my Nav settings - Fastest/Shortest. Once selected, that remains the default unless or until one selects the other.

Once the destination has been inputted and the map screen appears, there is frequently one, sometimes two, alternative routes described in a less intense blue colour than the optimum route in bold colour.

#32 ·
Had my 2017 Sportage was serviced and map updates completed yesterday (Thursday). The attached image shows the software status. One thing to be aware of, this was the first 2019 maps update they had done and it took well over 6 hours. Because of the length of time they had to keep my car overnight.

My initial impressions - I lost all my radio favourites, which needed reprogramming and initially my iPod Classic would not connect, it did at the second attempt. Apart from that my POI etc. are still avaialable.
On the radio the TA now appear in the top left and stays on even if switching between FM and DAB. Previously I would have got a message warning that TA would not be available (I can't remember the exact wording). I haven't been in the car long enough to hear any announcements. When my phone hotspot connects I now get a LIVE icon appear next to the TA. I assume this is needed for services that appear when I press the 'I' button, something I had not used very often before. The screen now displays Traffic, Live POI, Weather, Live Parking and Live Petrol. A quick look at Live Petrol - there is an option to change to Diesel and when I displayed local garages, the display showed the address and the price per litre, which looked accurate for a couple of the garages I know.
I look forward to seeing how this performs in the future.

Attachments

#33 · (Edited)
On the radio the TA now appear in the top left and stays on even if switching between FM and DAB. Previously I would have got a message warning that TA would not be available (I can't remember the exact wording). On my unit TA was always on the top left alongside the TPEG indication but would not stay if the radio was on DAB I haven't been in the car long enough to hear any announcements. If this results in the Traffic Announcements coming through when listening to DAB it is a well needed improvement (or bug fix)

When my phone hotspot connects I now get a LIVE icon appear next to the TA. That is a nice improvement, looks like the TPEG text has been replaced with LIVE to make it more obvious what it is as (on my unit) there is no obvious indication that the HotSpot is connected other than the Speed Camera icon showing or you understand what TPEG means!
If there is no Hotspot connected does yours still show TMC next to TA?
Thanks for being the first to share information - I'll wait a couple of weeks for any other observations and then get my unit updated.

Would also be interested to know if you see any changes to the actual Maps or Speed Limit indications - most of the later are well out of date in the 50 MPH Robing Hood land of Nottinghamshire!

#36 ·
Hi all and thanks for your patience.

Kia UK are delighted to announce the release of the latest map and software updates for all factory fitted head units. Our dealers are now receiving their SD cards. We'd ask that you allow them this coming week to prepare and test the updates. Please make enquiries from 1st July if you'd like to arrange a booking.

A few points of interest:

- The charge is fixed at £25. This is to be retained by your dealer for their workshop time.
- Software updates will provide (when available) enhancements to items such as Bluetooth compatibility along with bug fixes.
- Following the update, you may note both improvements and differences in the functionality and menu options.
- There are no retrospective updates for the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay apps above those models already made compatible in 2017.
- We recommend you check your system info screen before and after the procedure to confirm the changes.

Want to know what your latest versions will be? Please see our table below. To avoid confusion, we're referencing by 2018 version numbers and not which model you're driving. This is because some longer running ranges can be fitted with any one of up to four generations of head unit. 'xx' is replaced by your model code.

Kind regards

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit ERROR - en | Kia Motors UK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk
Follow us @KiaUK on twitter

Call centre opening hours:

Monday to Friday - 8:30am - 7pm
Saturday: 9am - 1pm
Sunday: Closed
Can you please confirm whether the charge of £25 by the dealer should be subject to the addition of VAT at the rate of 20%?

#39 ·
Yes, ditto that 'Colr'.

My understanding is that KIA dealers should charge a nominal £25 inclusive for their time in updating the SD card. While I recognise that labour rates vary across the UK, there is no real labour or time involved in the task, as those of us who have performed the job ourselves can testify.

My view is that KIA should signal to all their franchised dealers that they should charge no more than £25 inclusive of VAT and zero if the task is performed while the car is with them for service or repair.

#43 ·
to KCS, can you please advise the extent of the sat-nav update? After previous updates, I still find the same malfunctions. I find it not not dependable as recalculation will not kick in in a reasonable time or distance. Fastest route request motorway driving, which may be the fastest drive, but not the fastest time, adding miles to a route. I have to depend on Google maps, or Tom Tom portable device for use further afield. £25 could be put to better use.

#45 ·
Would be interesting to know if the TA also works when listening to DAB - previously it put a Message up saying cancel (i.e. leave TA) or tune to Traffic Station - when it sent you off to an apparently random FM station. I'm aiming to get mine updated in 2/3 weeks after my local agent gets his act together! (they don't seem keen on doing updates outside of a service booking.)

#46 ·
My daughter has a 2014 Sportage. The sat nav has the attached details. I am guessing it has never been updated - but can it take the latest update straight off, or will it need previous ones first? I don't suppose there is any chance it is capable of getting Android Auto as well is there?

Attachments

#49 ·
All done. Took about 30 minutes, including free wash and valet. Again, I’m happy to record exemplary service from Matthew Bennet at Grenson Kia, Crewe. (Although their policy is to charge £25 plus VAT, which they believe does not contravene Kia’s ‘recommendation’, they were quite happy to ‘price match’).

No probs so far with update -nav and radio favourites etc all retained. As reported by others, TA stays on even on DAB now, and addition of filling stations and prices for both diesel and petrol, to connected services, is useful.
Download of connected services once connected to hotspot seems quicker than previously.
Have yet to test any map improvements.
Overall, happy with the result, so far, and feel my decision to wait for official update is vindicated,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so have you noticed any EXTRA features?

#50 ·
EXTRA features? For £25?
My main concern in updating was improved maps, and so far I have discovered several improvements, new roads now included such as A556 from M6 to Manchester Airport.
I think I also mentioned that Connected services now shows filling stations with current prices of petrol and diesel, amongst other additions which I haven’t yet evaluated. And I’ve noted improved operation of TA feature. I have only driven 6 miles so far, so hardly a comprehensive evaluation yet - no doubt other things will come to light in the fullness of time.
I think it’s also worth making the point that this ISN'T just a satnav and/or map update, but does include other infotainment/software improvements, all warranted by the manufacturer, for a measly £24.
I rest my case!

#55 ·
Thank you for reply, Flear & Thomson of Dunfermline carried out the safety relay assembly recall yesterday, and the map updates were discussed, and I reluctantly declined the update, not on the cost but on the lack of information of content. As I find F&T Dunfermline & Stirling reputable dealerships, I will approach them again with a possible calibration fault. The Niro remains a good drive, the embedded sat-nav inconsistencies mirror that of the Audi. If no other issue is of a notable direct improvement, I'll take a raincheck on the updates.

#56 ·
I appear to have the new version in my 2017 Sportage (Although I can't fully decipher the version numbers. It was on this version when I got it, so presume last owner did it) I don't seem to be able to find anywhere to tell the live services that I want to see Diesel prices rather than Petrol. Am I best just asking at the Dealers next time I am in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.