Kia Owners Club Forum banner

241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
can someone explain what you can and cant do through KIA's implementation of these features ?
The reply from ‘iooi’ really answers your question and I agree with his view on Waze - It is very good! As an iPhone user, I find CarPlay works really well, allowing me access on the move to both regular texts and Whatsapp messages. Besides those apps, I have Apple music, Amazon Prime music, Spotify plus about 1200 songs that I keep on my phone so I’m never short of music choice.

Although I very much like the Waze nav app, I like to use the integral ‘Here’ offering when I can as it facilitates step-by-step instruction in the instrument binnacle right in front of the driver. That isn’t possible with Google maps, Waze or Apple Maps unfortunately.

Voice control although still rather limited is very useful for sending and receiving texts and Whatsapp messages, apart from the changing of music and radio stations, all without stabbing a finger at the screen while trying to keep an eye on the road ahead which is a dangerous practice.

I guess all those functions are possible through Android Auto too.

·
Super Moderator
2,443 Posts
thanks , so this negates the whole poor map updates from the map provider then ! superb !
Yes. Waze has user interaction. You can report traffic levels, roadworks etc.. And even changes in speed limits etc. Mapping is provided by Google.

Having used Android Auto, if a change of car is required. Any that do not have it are dropped straight away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking at it a 2014 version of navigation software. mapping no idea on age. But guess it will not have been updated for a good few years.
Thanks for your input
I only bought it a couple of months ago. The non Kia garage I bought it from took it to Kia for sensors repair and asked about maps. They were told maps were up to date.
I know that speed limits shown are wrong about 70% of the time - usually over the allowed limit.
Im booked in for update on Thursday at a different Kia place so hopefully will be better after update.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maps and system updated £25.
just got to sort out phone calling now which has stopped working from touchscreen after the update.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Are the 2020 map updates and software being released earlier this year? On the main messages forum, can see that some people have already acquired the updates. Just wondered when the update will be released to dealerships for updates to be done there?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are the 2020 map updates and software being released earlier this year? On the main messages forum, can see that some people have already acquired the updates. Just wondered when the update will be released to dealerships for updates to be done there?
Just had mine updated and I think they are 2019.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #253

We hope to have news next month and will announce with a new thread as usual.

KCS

·
Registered
333 Posts
Oh right ok, no problem. I just thought that they must be close to being release as the posts on the main message centre suggests the 2020 maps can be downloaded etc (not something I’d do myself as I would get done by the Kia dealership as part of service etc) but just wondered that if they are out there unofficially, why are they not yet released to the dealerships? Or are they not the official Kia maps??

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Or are they not the official Kia maps??
The links to KIA SW/FW and map updates available on the internet are genuine - they have undoubtedly been copied illegally at some point in the creation/transmission/storage/distribution process for whatever reason (bear in mind the low wage economies where these things are produced) but they are the pukka items.

If they failed to work, that would have become well-known a long time ago among the aficianados of ’Torrent’ websites. I choose to use these available downloads as I like to tinker with computers and have repaired/upgraded loads of them over the years and am not fazed by the technology. My recommendation for others, however, is that the installation of updated files should be left to the KIA dealer network as £25.00 inc VAT is a very reasonable price for the workshop time and the knowledge that the dealer will be responsible, should they damage anything while installing the files.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MY17 was the first Sportage to support these apps. The 10th character of the VIN needs to be 'H' or later.

KCS
The 10th letter of my vin is G, and I can’t get AA play, which isn’t an issue. But when I bought it it was on the list on the Kia dealers website as one of the things on that model car. 🙁

·
Registered
26 Posts
I installed this version of the Software and Maps and I now have AA and Carplay working on my 2016 Soul EV which is handy for Google maps but golly is it buggy with my Xiaomi Mi A2!

·
Super Moderator
2,443 Posts
I installed this version of the Software and Maps and I now have AA and Carplay working on my 2016 Soul EV which is handy for Google maps but golly is it buggy with my Xiaomi Mi A2!
There are known issues with AA and google maps for certain users.

241 - 259 of 259 Posts