Kia Owners Club Forum banner

221 - 240 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
My C'eed 2014 has been in a local dealer trying to update the maps to the latest but they are having issues, coming up with error message or something. Dealer now saying they cannot update to the current maps... What can I do? I have a defunct head unit with well out of date maps.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Dealer now saying they cannot update to the current maps... What can I do? I have a defunct head unit with well out of date maps.
I

If the NAV unit was functioning correctly, albeit with out of date maps, when you took it to the dealer then the dealer has a "duty of care" to at least restore the unit to that state (and refund any money you handed over) as they have not met the 'terms of contract' you made with them.

Kia Customer Service are in this thread and if you can give them more details (like the SW version on the NAV unit) They should be able to help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I

If the NAV unit was functioning correctly, albeit with out of date maps, when you took it to the dealer then the dealer has a "duty of care" to at least restore the unit to that state (and refund any money you handed over) as they have not met the 'terms of contract' you made with them.

Kia Customer Service are in this thread and if you can give them more details (like the SW version on the NAV unit) They should be able to help.
Great thank you. I am getting a phone call back from them tomorrow, but not looking promising as they have tried twice now, but one tech person said it was their SD Card and now saying its my car.

Just saw the price should be £25, but my dealer (Hawkins) are charging £30, I know its only a fiver, but are they over charging for the update?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have a defunct head unit with well out of date maps.
Welcome to the forum, ’Stonie’.

Do you actually mean that the head unit is no longer operational since KIA worked on it or are you simply stating that the unit still works but with out-of-date mapping that a KIA dealer seems unable to update?.

If it should be the former, then the response from ’Radiorail’ should be pursued vigorously. We don’t pay KIA dealers to break components on our cars.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Just saw the price should be £25, but my dealer (Hawkins) are charging £30, I know its only a fiver, but are they over charging for the update?
Check with KIA customer support in this forum but my understanding is that the charge for performing a SW update is £25.00 inc VAT so it looks as though the dealer has charged VAT on the 25 quid……naughty!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Check with KIA customer support in this forum but my understanding is that the charge for performing a SW update is £25.00 inc VAT so it looks as though the dealer has charged VAT on the 25 quid……naughty!
I think that, technically, the Kia 'recommended' charge is £25, it's not mandatory.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome to the forum, ’Stonie’.

Do you actually mean that the head unit is no longer operational since KIA worked on it or are you simply stating that the unit still works but with out-of-date mapping that a KIA dealer seems unable to update?.

If it should be the former, then the response from ’Radiorail’ should be pursued vigorously. We don’t pay KIA dealers to break components on our cars.
Thanks for the warm welcome Indalo. Sorry I meant that the maps would be too out of date to be able to use, the unit itself, im led to believe is still working. They have had the car since last Wednesday doing a bit of warranty work (replacing roof bars and rear badge) and diagnostics on the dreaded stop and start, which took 2 days. But the rest of the time has been with the map update :-/ Luckily I have a courtesy car to get to work.

In regards to the fee, I will check with them and show them this site!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Great thank you. I am getting a phone call back from them tomorrow, but not looking promising as they have tried twice now, but one tech person said it was their SD Card and now saying its my car.

Hi Stonie

Is this being resolved with us by phone?

KCS

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Stonie

KCS
No, I have rang the kia dealer this morning and they are still having issues. They have now said its the download they are getting from Kia Tech support that is failing not the head unit. They are still waiting for the new download or something and will be at least tomorrow morning :(

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Hi Stonie

KCS
No, I have rang the kia dealer this morning and they are still having issues. They have now said its the download they are getting from Kia Tech support that is failing not the head unit. They are still waiting for the new download or something and will be at least tomorrow morning :(

If you need any follow up later about the update issue or cost, please PM us with the dealer name, reg and confirming if you're the registered keeper.

KCS

·
Super Moderator
2,453 Posts
Hi Kia
Is the unit on my January 2016 Optima suitable for the upgrade to android auto?
Thanks View attachment 6153
KCS will not really be able to help as they are UK based and you are from Ireland.

I would advise that you either contact your local dealer or Kia Ireland. As another issue is Android Auto is under investigation in Italy over the lack or 3rd party mapping.

Edited to correct country

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi just about to take ownership of a late 2016 reg (actually registered in Feb 2017) Sorento KX-3 VIN KNAPH81BNG5250506 , and havent been able to identify the head unit from the dealer photos, can someone advise as I really want carplay/android connectivity especially for navigation

thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Hi just about to take ownership of a late 2016 reg (actually registered in Feb 2017) Sorento KX-3 VIN KNAPH81BNG5250506 , and havent been able to identify the head unit from the dealer photos, can someone advise as I really want carplay/android connectivity especially for navigation

thanks in advance

Hi Simon

This is an AVN4.0 unit and whilst it didn't come with Android Auto / Apple CarPlay originally, it can be retrospectively updated to receive these apps. If the previous keeper hasn't updated since new, you would just need to ask your dealer to install the annual map update which contains the app software as well. The cost is £25 to cover their workshop time.

KCS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like using carplay/android auto dosnet support navigation or even 3rd party apps can someone explain what you can and cant do through KIA's implementation of these features ?

·
Super Moderator
2,453 Posts
Looks like using carplay/android auto dosnet support navigation or even 3rd party apps can someone explain what you can and cant do through KIA's implementation of these features ?
Both Apple & Android have Navigation apps. Waze being my favourite.
Same with the rest of the apps you can use. Kia have no say in what you can use. That is down to Android & Apple to decide.
I use Amazon Music & other apps with no issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Both Apple & Android have Navigation apps. Waze being my favourite.
Same with the rest of the apps you can use. Kia have no say in what you can use. That is down to Android & Apple to decide.
I use Amazon Music & other apps with no issues.
thanks , so this negates the whole poor map updates from the map provider then ! superb !

221 - 240 of 259 Posts