Kia Owners Club Forum banner

201 - 220 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Thanks for your response, further to this, my car doesn’t support DAB or Apple car play, is there any way to upgrade this?

Sorry, Apple CarPlay arrived a couple of head unit generations later so this model year cannot be retrospectively updated to gain this app. DAB would require a completely different aftermarket unit. We can only approve like for like replacements so need to state that if you were to fit a unit outside Kia and an issue arises as a result, we couldn’t accept a warranty claim.

KCS

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Can you advise which units I can fit which will cover warranty?

Only the genuine unit as fitted already which is why we mentioned 'like for like'. Fitting any other unit won't automatically invalidate your warranty. We just need to advise that if any issue arises and is linked to that modification, that particular claim would be rejected.

KCS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I have a 2017 Optima that I bought secondhand recently - it doesn't appear to have had the maps or software updated since it left the factory going by the dates.

I have a question about the USB audio playback function - I've seen posts elsewhere from 2017/18 confirming the behaviour that I've experienced: when playing from a USB drive by artist or album (rather than by folder / file) the system will play the tracks in alphabetical order of track title (taken from the mp3 metadata, not the file name), rather than track number or even file name. Before I start re-tagging my mp3s to embed the track number in the title, can KCS - or anyone else with Gen5 - please advise whether this (inexplicable) behaviour has been changed in more recent firmware? If it has I'll cheerfully take the update. Thanks.

IMG_20200118_131957847.jpg

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a Niro 4 which has the latest software/firmware and as such have no issues playing tracks in file number/name order. The update only cost £25 at a Kia dealer so not much in real terms as you will also get newer maps than you already have with more functions, online petrol prices and carparking charges to name two.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have a Niro 4 which has the latest software/firmware and as such have no issues playing tracks in file number/name order.
In the between seats storage box, I have a USB drive with tons of music on it which I have never used for about two and a half years. Thanks for explaining how the tracks are arranged as I can't remember anything about it.

Since I had Apple CarPlay installed, I have all the personal music on my phone which is always connected in the car, set to play tracks at random. Thanks to apps on my phone, I also have Spotify and Amazon Music with me wherever I go so the USB drive is superfluous really.

For the benefit of the OP, should he be keeping tabs on the thread, I am now running the latest system which provides the numbers in the attachment though I don't think it's available yet at UK dealers. My advice to him is to keep his money in his pocket until the latest update is available at dealerships when he can pay £25.00 and have the very latest system on board.

IMG_0569.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recently bought a KIA Sportage ISG 2 (2016) and when I try and plug in either Android or Apple devices - I never get anything popping up for either CarPlay or Android Auto.

I have tried a couple of different phones and cables thinking that might be the issue, but now after reading this, maybe I just need a firmware upgrade?

Current details of installed software version:

VIN: U5YPH815LGL164500

I have it booked in with my local KIA dealer, but when I called them I did not feel convinced that this would be the solution.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I suspect that firmware has not been updated since the car was new. However, I seem to remember reading somewhere on these forums that the 2016 Sportage head unit is not capable of supporting CarPlay or Android Auto and so no update will enable you to use either of those. The head unit was changed in 2017(?) to one which does support those apps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Niro 4 which has the latest software/firmware and as such have no issues playing tracks in file number/name order.
Does the Niro use the same unit as the Optima (Gen5)?

Mine will play tracks in the expected order if I navigate via to them through folders, but not if I go via Artist / Album. If you have time to check / confirm the behaviour on yours I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
in post #209, I erroneously referred to the OP when I meant you, in post #207.

My advice is to update your infotainment unit to that currently available at you local KIA dealership. It is £25.00 well-spent. When you are running the updated system, then you can re-appraise the situation with regard to playing tracks on a USB drive.

These attachments may inform you better about the generation and version of the operating system applicable to your particular car:

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 10.12.31.png 2019 versions.png

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #214

Mine will play tracks in the expected order if I navigate via to them through folders, but not if I go via Artist / Album. If you have time to check / confirm the behaviour on yours I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Hi James

As long as your Optima is a MY17, it will have the same unit as Niro.

KCS

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Recently bought a KIA Sportage ISG 2 (2016) and when I try and plug in either Android or Apple devices - I never get anything popping up for either CarPlay or Android Auto.

I have tried a couple of different phones and cables thinking that might be the issue, but now after reading this, maybe I just need a firmware upgrade?

Current details of installed software version:

View attachment 5924

VIN: U5YPH815LGL164500

I have it booked in with my local KIA dealer, but when I called them I did not feel convinced that this would be the solution.

Hi stradled

Sorry, this model Sportage isn't compatible with either app because they were only added to Kia ranges with the launch of the later generation head unit. This model can't be retrospectively updated to receive these apps.

KCS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi stradled

Sorry, this model Sportage isn't compatible with either app because they were only added to Kia ranges with the launch of the later generation head unit. This model can't be retrospectively updated to receive these apps.

KCS
Thanks for confirming, could someone please tell me which year/model first started supporting Android Auto or CarPlay?

Even post a picture what the head unit looks like?

I am going to go back to the garage and see if I can swap mine for a newer one, I was told mine supported it. Only had it a week ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a 2018 Sportage 2 which does support AA and CarPlay but the head unit looks exactly the same as yours. KCS should be able to say whether it was the 2017 or 2018 MY that have the newer head units.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Thanks for confirming, could someone please tell me which year/model first started supporting Android Auto or CarPlay?

I am going to go back to the garage and see if I can swap mine for a newer one, I was told mine supported it. Only had it a week ?
Our June 2017 Sportage has Android Auto/Apple Craplay and the head unit is exactly the same as the same as yours, although the software and map version are different as we have the 2019 update.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #219

MY17 was the first Sportage to support these apps. The 10th character of the VIN needs to be 'H' or later.

KCS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for confirming, this is good to know and certainly something that the garage mis sold me on.
This was one of my specific asks when I went to them initially. I will share this information with them and see what can be done, really appreciate everyones responses.

201 - 220 of 263 Posts