Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi all and thanks for your patience.

Kia UK are delighted to announce the release of the latest map and software updates for all factory fitted head units. Our dealers are now receiving their SD cards. We'd ask that you allow them this coming week to prepare and test the updates. Please make enquiries from 1st July if you'd like to arrange a booking.

A few points of interest:

- The charge is fixed at £25 inc VAT. This is to be retained by your dealer for their workshop time.
- Software updates will provide (when available) enhancements to items such as Bluetooth compatibility along with bug fixes.
- Following the update, you may note both improvements and differences in the functionality and menu options.
- There are no retrospective updates for the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay apps above those models already made compatible in 2017.
- We recommend you check your system info screen before and after the procedure to confirm the changes.

Want to know what your latest versions will be? Please see our table below. To avoid confusion, we're referencing by 2018 version numbers and not which model you're driving. This is because some longer running ranges can be fitted with any one of up to four generations of head unit. 'xx' is replaced by your model code.

Kind regards

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit ERROR - en | Kia Motors UK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk
Follow us @KiaUK on twitter

Call centre opening hours:

Monday to Friday - 8:30am - 7pm
Saturday: 9am - 1pm
Sunday: Closed

Attachments

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2017 sorento kx2 bun no KNAPH81BSH5348493. Will the 2019 update give me Apple car play ?
Sorry Graham, this model can't be retrospectively upgraded. Only KX-3 and KX-4 of that generation can gain Apple CarPlay due to the greater capacity of head unit.

KCS

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
Will the update be free if done during a service?
A few points of interest:

- The charge is fixed at £25. This is to be retained by your dealer for their workshop time.

Although my dealer did forget to charge me....:grin:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Anyone know of what exactly the update covers. Is it just a map update or any other features been added to the system software for the AV unit?

Just recently had service done and was told they weren't expecting the update until later in the year, possibly even November but appears that was wrong and update has come out similar to last year. Guess I'll have to get booked in a again.

·
Super Moderator
3,109 Posts
I agreed with my dealer that the map update would be done FOC at my main service in April.
However the 2019 update hadn't been released by then so couldn't be included.

I will be reminding him of this earlier offer when my oil-change service is done in October!

·
Registered
370 Posts
As luck would have it my Sportage has a service at the end of the week and I had requested a map/software update. Yesterday the dealer confirmed that they had the 2019 updates already and that was what my car would getting. I will have to see what, if anything, has changed.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have a 2016 Sorento KX3 vin KNAPH81BSH5074917. Will the 2019 update give me Android Auto?
Hi 'zeroburn' and welcome to the forum.

Does this answer your question from an earlier post in this thread?

There are no retrospective updates for the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay apps above those models already made compatible in 2017.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Keep us updated about the results
I'm not quite sure to whom that is directed but quite a few forum members, (me included), have downloaded and successfully installed the software some time ago that has only come on-stream recently at the KIA dealerships.

Is there anything in particular that you want to know about with regard to the new firmware or the new mapping?

In my opinion, the 'Here' maps are little better than before but I'm not sure exactly how much has been updated but I fear that most people won't notice any difference - Google, Waze and Apple maps are more up-to-date and with an internet connection in the car, can provide traffic updates and so on reliably.

I described the update previously as rather underwhelming and I retain that view today.

There are times when I wonder if the German carmakers who own 'Here' deliberately keep the 'Here' offerings available to their competitors a bit behind the best systems available but they wouldn't do anything like that……would they?

·
Registered
271 Posts
There are times when I wonder if the German carmakers who own 'Here' deliberately keep the 'Here' offerings available to their competitors a bit behind the best systems available but they wouldn't do anything like that……would they?
Quite possibly they may because if you use the HERE-We-Go APP on a phone the maps are far more up to date.

For example in my area the correct speed limits are shown for most roads, the Kia maps are still show, mainly, the old speed limits. (Where I live in Notts. we have been surrounded by 50 MPH limits on virtually all the roads)

What is a disappointment is the level of information that filters down to end users. I'm sure KCS UK do their best and suspect that Map/SW/FW information is managed by some overseas part of the Kia organisation that does not see fit to communicate.

There may also be some limitations of the Maps in relation to the interaction with the LG head unit which I understand may make the navigation calculations, certainly the algorithms are different to the HERE phone app as different routes are offered.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had mine updated a week before the Kia official 2019 release at the first service and was wondering if my maps were still in date as I didn’t notice any additional features but looking at the 2019 kia release my maps are 2018 and not the 2019 but the kia dealer has offered to update foc ,,,,,so good on KIA.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
There may also be some limitations of the Maps in relation to the interaction with the LG head unit which I understand may make the navigation calculations, certainly the algorithms are different to the HERE phone app as different routes are offered.
That is a very interesting post altogether 'Radiorail' and I find that last part describing a clear difference between the phone app and the limited routing governing our choice of roads on the integrated system in our cars very curious.

There is a set of directions on a route I use frequently which I had hoped to see altered with the latest update but sadly, the directions, common to fastest and shortest selections, is unchanged and I know, having driven that route and a more obvious one, that the other route is quicker and on a much better-surfaced road.

Next time I do that particular journey, I shall try Waze and Apple Maps to see if they concur with my integrated system which, on the plus side, provides the nicest visual display and is the only one that permits the turn-by-turn instructions in the display within the fascia.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I own Sorento LX 2017 bought in Bulgaria. VIN: KNAPH81BDH5336653 . Is it eligble for CarPlay upgrade?
KIA customer support who help with lots of matters within these pages will be able to provide you with the definitive answer on that but I think if your car already supports Android Auto, then Apple CarPlay is attainable via an update.

My car, late 2016 Optima SW, came with Android installed and the first software update in 2017 provided Apple CarPlay.

I hope you're in luck.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts