Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon guys,

I have a 2019 Ceed SW 1.4 TGDI with 22 000km on a dash, and I've noticed a ticking - rattling noise from the clutch when idle. I don't know if this sound was present earlier or it appeared just now, because it's not very loud and only audible when AC and radio are off. It sounds exactly like a faulty dual-mass flywheel, and if you press down the clutch - sounds goes away. I can even hear it from the outside, from the engine bay.
Strangely, when I release the cluth sound does not come back until I put my car into gear and move at least a little...

So I have some questions and I need some help from you, fellow Kia owners.
Are these CEED's with 1.4tgdi have dual mass flywheels?
Or the sound is normal for whatever reason? Maybe someone with the same engine and manual gearbox can try and confirm to me if it happens to you also or not.
I would be very grateful.

To make it clear, the noise appears when you move a little and let it idle. Pressing the clutch makes the sound go away, until you drive again.
When you rev while rattling, rattle gets faster with the revs, similar as faulty DMF does...

I think I'm gonna try to reach a dealer for this question, I just don't want to be look too pretentious and hypercritical so asking here first :)

thanks, stay healthy

UPDATE: I was looking online for some ideas and I bumed into this article:

"Gear rollover, gear rattle, or gear lash noises are commonly associated with a lightweight flywheel. This noise occurs when the vehicle is neutral and idling. It’s a rapid tapping, clicking, or rattling. Many compare it to marbles in a jar. This is a normal part of having a lightweight flywheel. " Any comments on this?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry, no direct experience with any contemporary KIAs with DMFs, but I'm sure I recall from my dim, distant motoring past that a rattling going away when you press the clutch used to be ascribed to a failing thrust bearing. I don't think any KIA from the factory will have what you might describe as a 'lightweight' flywheel.

Have you checked for something silly like a heatshield vibrating on the clutch mechanism? Amazing how many times things like that happen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good afternoon guys,

I have a 2019 Ceed SW 1.4 TGDI with 22 000km on a dash, and I've noticed a ticking - rattling noise from the clutch when idle. I don't know if this sound was present earlier or it appeared just now, because it's not very loud and only audible when AC and radio are off. It sounds exactly like a faulty dual-mass flywheel, and if you press down the clutch - sounds goes away. I can even hear it from the outside, from the engine bay.
Strangely, when I release the cluth sound does not come back until I put my car into gear and move at least a little...

So I have some questions and I need some help from you, fellow Kia owners.
Are these CEED's with 1.4tgdi have dual mass flywheels?
Or the sound is normal for whatever reason? Maybe someone with the same engine and manual gearbox can try and confirm to me if it happens to you also or not.
I would be very grateful.

To make it clear, the noise appears when you move a little and let it idle. Pressing the clutch makes the sound go away, until you drive again.
When you rev while rattling, rattle gets faster with the revs, similar as faulty DMF does...

I think I'm gonna try to reach a dealer for this question, I just don't want to be look too pretentious and hypercritical so asking here first :)

thanks, stay healthy

UPDATE: I was looking online for some ideas and I bumed into this article:

"Gear rollover, gear rattle, or gear lash noises are commonly associated with a lightweight flywheel. This noise occurs when the vehicle is neutral and idling. It’s a rapid tapping, clicking, or rattling. Many compare it to marbles in a jar. This is a normal part of having a lightweight flywheel. " Any comments on this?
I have a January registered 2019 Ceed SW 1.4 GDi which has 6000 miles ( 9600 km ) with a manual gearbox. Mine does not make a rattling or ticking sound when idling either with the clutch up or down. I've done what you have described, moved a little and let it idle and there is no change in sound at all, yes if you listen really hard there is a very faint change in tone when the clutch pedal is pushed down but I'm talking such a tiny change that is barely noticeable, and this is probably normal for any manual car. Hope this is helpful to you, if I can try anything else let me know.

I would say compared to other engine noises the 1.4 does 'tick' a small amount but to be honest I am impressed at how quiet the engine is, when idling it almost can't be heard inside the cabin.

The only negative I have with my Ceed SW is noisy brakes, at normal road speeds they're fine, but when maneuvering slowly there's a lot of grinding, more so when the car is reversing, I pointed this out at the first service and they said it's just rust build up, which it isn't as it never goes away even after a long drive. I'll probably get it back into my Kia dealer for another look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts