Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, with the recent cold weather I have noticed a far greater amount of condensation and found the front windscreen was frozen on the inside.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it a common fault that Kia can sort?

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
553 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum :)

A lot of cars 'steamed-up' this time of year, unfortunately, especially so with people driving less. It's not a problem unique to KIA from what I've seen on our street!

How often are you going on a decent drive to air the interior? Do you keep the aircon on every time you go out?

Of course it could be something else, like rain getting in through a door seal, but that's less likely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, welcome to the forum :)

A lot of cars 'steamed-up' this time of year, unfortunately, especially so with people driving less. It's not a problem unique to KIA from what I've seen on our street!

How often are you going on a decent drive to air the interior? Do you keep the aircon on every time you go out?

Of course it could be something else, like rain getting in through a door seal, but that's less likely.
Thanks for the reply!
Generally driving to work and back 20 minutes each way, so not getting a long drive currently. I mostly just have the heating AC on.

Hopefully not a leak or anything. I just didn't expect it to be frozen.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If I were you I'd keep the aircon on all the time to draw the moisture from the interior fabrics, at least until we get to March or April. It will also help to keep the system lubed, reducing chance of losing refrigerant.

Years ago I had ice on the inside of my windscreen and my wife's car (no aircon) still suffers, but it has to be sustained low temperatures and sat round for a few days.

Reactions: Ceed1919

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Mine does the same. Remember you are looking a a single layer of glass, so it will freeze inside especially when your wet getting to the car & having heating on. Or like me have a car that get full blown sun on it in the morning, so steams up, then when the sun disappears all the moisture gets frozen when it freezes..

I have a moisture absorbing bag in the car. Helps no end. Just leave it on the dash.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
It should be no surprise that when temperatures fall below 0 ice will form. Running the AC all teh time will help to alleviate this by drying the air inside the cabin but it is not a fault, it is just British weather.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone else had this issue? Is it a common fault that Kia can sort?
Although I use the a/c in winter, I find it beneficial to switch the a/c off ten minutes or so before I get to my destination. This reduces the moisture that can accumulate on the a/c condenser that can cause more moisture to build up on the inside of the screen. I then press auto or the defrost button the next time I get in the car which turns the a/c back on and helps demist.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Its the UK, the all do that sir, its a feature... :)
Have you changed the pollen filter recently?
My experience with dealer servicing is they don't (despite what they may charge you for).
A blocked pollen filter can make a difference.
As others have said, keep air con on.
Out of interest, My daughter has a 2007 Honda Jazz which was suffering terribly with condensation. Changed the pollen filter and that helped. But we also let her have our Karcher Window vac. Within a week it has made a huge difference and I think points to the fact that it isn't enough to just clean up and then do what most people do and leave wet cloths in the car etc, you need to be sucking the water out and disposing of it.
I'm guessing with my daughters car she has now got the point where enough water in the seats etc has condensed out to make it not a problem..

If you are interested as an example of how much water can get "lost" in a car interior.
Next time it rains, stand outside with a waterproof coat on and then come in and let it drip onto a plastic bag , preferably in a room where you won't lose much by evaporation. And then when you see how much drips off, consider that is what goes into your car interior when you get in wet. It's a bit more than people think and physics means that has to condense somewhere when the weather is colder.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This happens to my Ceed GT as well I just put it down to the cold and with me travelling to work with the Heated Steering wheel on and heated seats 😆

·
Registered
211 Posts
Are you leaving the vent control set to the windscreen position overnight? I always turn my control to the face only position, and make sure the dash vents are fully closed before leaving the car, in the winter months

·
Registered
553 Posts
Are you leaving the vent control set to the windscreen position overnight? I always turn my control to the face only position, and make sure the dash vents are fully closed before leaving the car, in the winter months
Further to that, I switch my a/c to recirculate before switching off the ignition, just to stop the interior 'breathing' through the intake. [Yes, I know there are vents in the rear but at least you minimise the amount of new damp air getting into the car].

Reactions: GarethR

·
Registered
211 Posts
Further to that, I switch my a/c to recirculate before switching off the ignition, just to stop the interior 'breathing' through the intake. [Yes, I know there are vents in the rear but at least you minimise the amount of new damp air getting into the car].
Just to clarify, I was referring specifically to the freezing of the windscreen overnight

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just to clarify, I was referring specifically to the freezing of the windscreen overnight
Yes, just wanted the OP to minimise how much moisture was in the car. A micron of ice is fine, a centimetre isn't! ;)

Reactions: GarethR

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, that’s a good idea. Hadn’t thought of that (y)

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Many Kia's a a button that does that ;)
On Stonic & Picanto (some) it is the same pic as rear screen heater but says "Front" and under the auto a/c rotary dial for temp.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have... found the front windscreen was frozen on the inside.
Put a fan heater in there for a day on a safe lo setting, leave 1 window on either side down 1cm.

Keep a moisture absorber in there afterwards , the boat /caravan type. They don't work when frozen, but are effective in damp weather.

Use the A/C. When you stop the car, look for the dribble of water under the car, about the center of the engine bay bulkhead. If no water is visible then the drain hose could be blocked meaning that ice on the evaporator will evaporate back in to the vehicle instead of dribbling out below.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Many Kia's a a button that does that ;)
On Stonic & Picanto (some) it is the same pic as rear screen heater but says "Front" and under the auto a/c rotary dial for temp.
Ah, okay, I just have the manual controls-a/c (non S version of the TDi)

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Ah, okay, I just have the manual controls-a/c (non S version of the TDi)
It will always be a bit of a problem with the modern car. The windscreen is getting more laid-back year by year and if you think how much frost you get on a fence panel (much less) compared with a flat roof overnight in the winter the reason is clear. The more horizontal a surface the more the heat radiates off and the more frost you get. My old 13-plate Cee'd sporty was notorious for icing up whereas the Octavia that preceded it was no trouble - the screen was so much more upright!

Reactions: iooi
1 - 20 of 27 Posts