Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm not yet an official Kia owner but hoping to become one soon. I'm looking to trade in my dirty diesel for a decent second hand plug-in hybrid and the Optima is currently top of my list.

I expect that battery performance does diminish over the years, so I was hoping to reach out to some Optima PHEV owners to get a real feel for what kind of range you're getting on pure EV in a 3 to 4 year old car. I'm not expecting anything over 30 miles, but, for me, if I can still get 15 miles, that's enough to get me to work and back purely on battery power. Just wondering what other people's experience is. Any advice greatly appreciated.

On another note, does anyone know whether it is possible to schedule pre-heating the car like you can with full electric cars? Ideally, in those winter months when setting off for work, I don't want to use all of the charge for defrosting windscreens and heating seats etc.

I appreciate any wisdom you can offer me and hope to become an official Kia owner in the near future.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I was hoping to reach out to some Optima PHEV owners to get a real feel for what kind of range you're getting on pure EV in a 3 to 4 year old car.
Welcome to there forum, 'Gilb'.

While I liked what I read of the PHEV in various road tests on its release, I thought at that time it was a bit early to consider swapping my fairly clean diesel for such (then) new tech. With the passage of time, however, a few PHEV owners have come aboard the forum so you may receive some real-world opinion if any of those read this post.

It would probably be better placed in the Optima sub-forum as not every member scours all the other sub-forums when they check out the site. The moderation team will deal with that if they agree.

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
Hi & Welcome.
Will leave it here for now, as Kia do have other PHEV's. So will be good to see what answers you get (y)

Pretty sure Niro PHEV does not have the pre-heating option.

Not sure exactly where Kia stand on at what point a battery is deemed to be replaceable due to degradation. But if it was down 50% then I would guess it was new battery time.
Of course mileage is going to vary on your roads.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2018 Niro PHEV that I’m trading for a new eNiro 4+ next week.

I’ve been very happy with it, get roughly 32 miles in the right weather and road conditions out or the battery. Get me to work and back, the petrol engine will kick in if you put any heating on in winter or if you try any traffic light drag races, if you do short journeys and flat roads it will do what you want.

Mine has 24k miles after 3 years charge it most days no noticeable battery degradation.

Doesn’t have app connectivity or pre-heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Is it any good staying on electric on dual carriage way/motorway journeys or does the petrol kick in at a set speed?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is it any good staying on electric on dual carriage way/motorway journeys or does the petrol kick in at a set speed?
It will stay on battery all the time as long as it has reserve, when gets to zero miles the transition between the two is seamless. Then you have re-gen which will put a little charge back in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2018 Niro PHEV that I’m trading for a new eNiro 4+ next week.

I’ve been very happy with it, get roughly 32 miles in the right weather and road conditions out or the battery. Get me to work and back, the petrol engine will kick in if you put any heating on in winter or if you try any traffic light drag races, if you do short journeys and flat roads it will do what you want.

Mine has 24k miles after 3 years charge it most days no noticeable battery degradation.

Doesn’t have app connectivity or pre-heat

Glad to hear you're still getting 30+ miles on electric. Sounds very promising.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts