Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

For several months now I've noticed my car shaking violently shortly after driving away from cold.

At work I literally reverse the car out of the spot with no issue then the moment I put it into Drive and apply a tiny bit of gas it will feel like it is about to stall, lurching forwards with each shake. This will happen if I stop anywhere in the first 2 minutes of the journey, after that it is fine. At home I drive straight off the drive with no issue, down a slight hill using a small amount of accelerator then stop at a junction. I apply a small bit of gas again and the juddering here is very bad as it is on a tiny incline. My neighbour saw me do it the other day and probably thought I was a useless driver nearly stalling a manual!

It doesn't happen when the car is in Drive creeping forwards, even on a slight hill. Doesn't happen at all in reverse on a hill or not. It still happens, just for a shorter duration, if I apply more accelerator than is necessary to get moving. Last service was 15,000 miles ago (car now at 45k miles) and the diesel filter didn't require replacement, I asked before they took it in because this issue had just started intermittently running up to the service.

I have no faith in my local Kia dealer sadly so eager to hear of any other stories before approaching them - this dealership group has attempted to rip me off at every turn with this Kia and the last!

Thanks for any advice, anecdotes or stories!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
no stories, anecdotes or advice, other than inform a Kia dealer, perhaps a different one than you have used previously, so that the complaint is at least registered in case you need to make a warranty claim. I believe that any defects are required to be reported as soon as is practicle. Some DCTs can be felt when setting off, though what you describe seems to be enough to warrant booking an appointment at the dealer. I don't know what the service interval is for that transmission, just that some VAG DCTs specify oil change every 25,000 miles.
After reading the clutch judder sagas on here, it may be worth filming evidence when you can. A plastic glass of water on the dashboard for example. a la Lexus LS400 TV ad.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I have no faith in my local Kia dealer
I really don't know what your issues are with a KIA dealer but your car should be under warranty and that is what dealers are for. Get it booked in!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really don't know what your issues are with a KIA dealer but your car should be under warranty and that is what dealers are for. Get it booked in!
My only experience of the Kia warranty is them denying brake pads lasting 15,000 miles from new and 3,000 miles after that whilst the car can max out MPG at 38 is an issue. Took a lot of communications between myself and Kia UK before they would refund me the extortionate amounts I paid. I also had to go out of my way with sensitive instruments from work to prove to them that a scratch on my instrument cluster glass was inside the glass, their mechanics and sales manager using their finger nail saying "we can feel the scratch externally so it may have been done by you" turned out to be fobbing me off! That and courtesy cars being nearly impossible to get unless you book 6 weeks in advance makes it a wholly unpleasant experience!

But alas, I'll have to return and register this issue with them. Hopefully they'll change my mind on their warranty services!

Is your car AWD?
No, front wheel drive.

no stories, anecdotes or advice, other than inform a Kia dealer, perhaps a different one than you have used previously, so that the complaint is at least registered in case you need to make a warranty claim. I believe that any defects are required to be reported as soon as is practicle. Some DCTs can be felt when setting off, though what you describe seems to be enough to warrant booking an appointment at the dealer. I don't know what the service interval is for that transmission, just that some VAG DCTs specify oil change every 25,000 miles.
After reading the clutch judder sagas on here, it may be worth filming evidence when you can. A plastic glass of water on the dashboard for example. a la Lexus LS400 TV ad.
Interesting about the oil change every 25k, I do wonder... But I will get around to filming it for proof, although at the moment it is happening 100% of the time (Sod's law it will stop when I drive up to the garage!)

Thanks all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

For several months now I've noticed my car shaking violently shortly after driving away from cold.

At work I literally reverse the car out of the spot with no issue then the moment I put it into Drive and apply a tiny bit of gas it will feel like it is about to stall, lurching forwards with each shake. This will happen if I stop anywhere in the first 2 minutes of the journey, after that it is fine. At home I drive straight off the drive with no issue, down a slight hill using a small amount of accelerator then stop at a junction. I apply a small bit of gas again and the juddering here is very bad as it is on a tiny incline. My neighbour saw me do it the other day and probably thought I was a useless driver nearly stalling a manual!

It doesn't happen when the car is in Drive creeping forwards, even on a slight hill. Doesn't happen at all in reverse on a hill or not. It still happens, just for a shorter duration, if I apply more accelerator than is necessary to get moving. Last service was 15,000 miles ago (car now at 45k miles) and the diesel filter didn't require replacement, I asked before they took it in because this issue had just started intermittently running up to the service.

I have no faith in my local Kia dealer sadly so eager to hear of any other stories before approaching them - this dealership group has attempted to rip me off at every turn with this Kia and the last!

Thanks for any advice, anecdotes or stories!
Can you explain what you mean by the car shaking? I only ask as my car... jerks, I guess would be the word, when driving first gear, mostly from a cold start but can do it the odd time when the car is hot and I'm driving slowly in traffic or around a carpark. It doesn't do this every time I drive the car so proving to the dealer has been difficult. When I say it jerks, it's like the car is about to stall but doesn't. It just jerks and my body goes forward and backward in the drivers seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you explain what you mean by the car shaking? I only ask as my car... jerks, I guess would be the word, when driving first gear, mostly from a cold start but can do it the odd time when the car is hot and I'm driving slowly in traffic or around a carpark. It doesn't do this every time I drive the car so proving to the dealer has been difficult. When I say it jerks, it's like the car is about to stall but doesn't. It just jerks and my body goes forward and backward in the drivers seat.
Yes Ciaran, it is exactly as you describe. 1st gear from cold sometimes feels like the car is about to stall, I shake in my seat and always surprised the engine doesn't cut out. It usually stopped after 30 seconds of driving (I have 6 to get out of my road so quite a few stops and starts in the first 30s) but would very occasionally do it at roundabouts when the car is hot or in odd situations.

Weirdly soon after posting this it suddenly stopped happening - I haven't done anything but it no longer occurs, even on a -4 morning recently!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes Ciaran, it is exactly as you describe. 1st gear from cold sometimes feels like the car is about to stall, I shake in my seat and always surprised the engine doesn't cut out. It usually stopped after 30 seconds of driving (I have 6 to get out of my road so quite a few stops and starts in the first 30s) but would very occasionally do it at roundabouts when the car is hot or in odd situations.

Weirdly soon after posting this it suddenly stopped happening - I haven't done anything but it no longer occurs, even on a -4 morning recently!
This is vey strange because mine hasn't done it for he last 2 days as they say "will monitor" ;);)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just an update on my Optima shaking/jerking in first/second gear. It spend 5 weeks at the dealers service centre. They replaced the clutch and the flywheel as "it was out of spec". I got the car back and drove it out of the parking space at the service centre and it jerked worse than it ever had before and the car now gives out an almighty rattle in first. I laughed and drove on home and decided not to waste my time with them again. Went to another dealer and traded it in for a Skoda Superb. Absolutely love the Superb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.