Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Excellant mobile mechanic Parts total £115
Fitting £40
It makes sense to DIY if able or to employ an independent mechanic if the price is right. You have had a result there as I would be looking at a bullseye to do that job for a stranger - the guy needs a business manager!:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi G1nzo,
I am in Australia and I was wondering if you could post a picture of what they look like?
Or email a photo to [email protected]
Im just about to purchase a 2018 GT and I was thinking of making the brakes look better.

Thank you.
Obba.

·
Registered
463 Posts
£40 fitting charge seems very low - less than 30 minutes work??
It does seem very low, unless a certain amount of prep work was done by the OP (jack up and remove wheels etc.)
Then again, jacking up and removing the wheel is the hardest part.
Once you've done that, the pads and discs are a piece of proverbial.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm quite surprised that new pads and discs were required on a '2018' model. How many miles have you done?
Pads were totally shot in our Sportage at 30000 miles.
Discs are a bit ropey too, but I'm not changing them when it's going back in X months.
They'll pass the MOT and then they're someone else's problem.
Discs are made from cheese these days, incredible how short a time they last in any car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pads were totally shot in our Sportage at 30000 miles.
Discs are a bit ropey too, but I'm not changing them when it's going back in X months.
They'll pass the MOT and then they're someone else's problem.
Discs are made from cheese these days, incredible how short a time they last in any car.
What sort of cheese? Asking for a friend..

·
Registered
463 Posts
i would have said £40 is about right for a mobile mechanic. I pay £30 labour for front discs and pads at a proper garage. But maybe we are just more tightfisted up north so wont pay over the odds! :)
£30 for that much work is mental.
Even a skilled mechanic doing it as some sort of against-the-clock dare would struggle to do it in 30-40 minutes.
£40 for someone to travel and then do that much work is beyond mental.

·
Registered
463 Posts
What sort of cheese? Asking for a friend..
Vented discs
So Gruyere, obviously.
Seriously though, I remember discs lasting twice the mileage they do now and more.
I've no idea what has happened to disc manufacturing that they're shoddy after 2.5 years and 30000 miles.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It's not just the disks, it's the pads - no soft asbestos these days
Ah, interesting, so you're saying harder pad material is the reason discs wear out much faster?
Makes sense.
I do also think there is dishonesty on the part of dealers, TBH.
I do think dealers (NOT JUST KIA) lie about the state of discs just to scrape some extra dough.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Vented discs
So Gruyere, obviously.
Seriously though, I remember discs lasting twice the mileage they do now and more.
I've no idea what has happened to disc manufacturing that they're shoddy after 2.5 years and 30000 miles.
Ah you see there is the issue. You used a soft cheese.

You are right though I have seen a decrease in length of time, however I put it down to the fact that modern ones are produced using less harmful methods/ materials etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do also think there is dishonesty on the part of dealers, TBH.
I do think dealers (NOT JUST KIA) lie about the state of discs just to scrape some extra dough.
Completely correct. One of my friends is service manager at a local BMW dealer - previously she was service manager at a merc dealer.
They have "sales targets" of approx. £500 per vehicle that comes in - so if you take your car in for a £150 service, then they have to "find" £350 of extras - whether that's billed to you or billed to the warranty.

Tyres, brakes & exhausts are favourite ones to convince owners to change well ahead of when's actually needed.
Then they have other tricks like "Forton oil treatment", "Air Conditioning Service", "terraclean fuel system cleaning" which they'll recommend you should have done - all of which are actually snake oil and usually don't involve anything actually being done to your car - you might get a sticker or certificate & a charge on the invoice and that's it.

If they hit their targets, the service team earn nice big bonuses.
Fine if they're billing Kia warranty, not so good if its coming out of your wallet... so always treat their "advisory points" with a HUGE level of suspicion.

And NEVER take your car to a dealer for an MOT as they may well fail it on things it shouldn't have failed on to try to hit their targets...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Completely correct. One of my friends is service manager at a local BMW dealer - previously she was service manager at a merc dealer.
They have "sales targets" of approx. £500 per vehicle that comes in - so if you take your car in for a £150 service, then they have to "find" £350 of extras - whether that's billed to you or billed to the warranty.

Tyres, brakes & exhausts are favourite ones to convince owners to change well ahead of when's actually needed.
Then they have other tricks like "Forton oil treatment", "Air Conditioning Service", "terraclean fuel system cleaning" which they'll recommend you should have done - all of which are actually snake oil and usually don't involve anything actually being done to your car - you might get a sticker or certificate & a charge on the invoice and that's it.

If they hit their targets, the service team earn nice big bonuses.
Fine if they're billing Kia warranty, not so good if its coming out of your wallet... so always treat their "advisory points" with a HUGE level of suspicion.

And NEVER take your car to a dealer for an MOT as they may well fail it on things it shouldn't have failed on to try to hit their targets...
Shocking, although doesn't surprise me when it comes to Audi and BMW.
I've owned both myself, my mate has worked in sales for BMW for years.
A lot of their clientelle is people with more money than sense and, tragically, misplaced trust in their dealers.
"oooh I've been dealing with X for years and he wouldn't rip me off"
Er, yes he will.....
If anything, their misplaced trust means they're being ripped off more!!

OT, but a wee story about dealers - Nissan this time.
The fact a Nissan leaf costs the same to service as an ICE car has always annoyed Leaf owners, so one I know decided to leave his camera going to gauge what they do.
Cue hours upon hour of nothing happening with the car until someone eventually turned up and hoovered it!
He paid, as he hadn't viewed the footage at that point, but then went back in and kicked off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't think it's just limited to german brands - I think all car dealerships do it - lets be honest the same fanchisees are behind the Kia dealers as well as the "premium" brands - just that the targets may be different.

Never bother with their AC "service" or "clean", never go for "oil treatment" or "terraclean/fuel system cleaning/treatment" - it's just literally handing over cash for nothing in return.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Vented discs
So Gruyere, obviously.

What has happened is that pads can no longer contain asbestos (banned material because it is carcinogenic). The non asbestos pad materials require a different type of steel discs in order to maintain braking efficiency. The new steel material both wears faster and is more prone to corrosion. So discs and pads do not last as long as they used to.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Varies between dealers. Local ish kia to me wanted an ac clean every visit, circa 70 quid with filter. Dealer I use now just looked at me confused when I asked would they recommend an ac clean. Their answer was "We can do one if you think you need it. What makes you think you need it?"

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.