Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Stinger for just over six months (I love it) and it's only now that I've needed to drive it in the dark. On single carriageways multiple oncoming cars (I'd say 10-20%) are flashing me, some even putting their lights on full beam to punish me for not dipping mine after they have flashed me once. Lights are definitely not on main beam; I'm so fed up with this I now flash back to prove this.

I know that LEDs are bright, but is this a common issue or could there be an (auto) alignment problem with mine? I didn't have the same problem with the Xenon lights on my previous car (a Peugeot 508SW), which I believe are, or can be, even brighter than LEDs.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The focus/alignment could be out, there are other possible causes but it would be best to get that possibility eliminated first.
I have a car which I drove on the motorway at night for the first long trip recently and many flashed at me, I'm sure its because the rear shocks are worn and down to about 46% effect, so the rear bounces more than it should producing a flashing effect, similar to over speed bumps, at oncoming traffic.
It could also be a ride height sensor linkage that has come off, you may be able to check that yourself. They should be taken off, cleaned and lubed occasionally anyway.
Does the light beam cycle up and down if you start the car with the lights on, a self test cycle?

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
581 Posts
You can do this measurement at home? Plenty of info on YouTube and Google. Cardboard, a flat road, and a wall are all that’s needed to check alignment (left/right and up/down) when stationary. You can also put heavy objects in the boot and should see the auto alignment doing its job. Trip to dealer is obviously a better option if its convenient and you trust them. Or any mot centre.
but I think you can at least attempt this yourself without too many problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The focus/alignment could be out, there are other possible causes but it would be best to get that possibility eliminated first.
I have a car which I drove on the motorway at night for the first long trip recently and many flashed at me, I'm sure its because the rear shocks are worn and down to about 46% effect, so the rear bounces more than it should producing a flashing effect, similar to over speed bumps, at oncoming traffic.
It could also be a ride height sensor linkage that has come off, you may be able to check that yourself. They should be taken off, cleaned and lubed occasionally anyway.
Does the light beam cycle up and down if you start the car with the lights on, a self test cycle?
You can do this measurement at home? Plenty of info on YouTube and Google. Cardboard, a flat road, and a wall are all that’s needed to check alignment (left/right and up/down) when stationary. You can also put heavy objects in the boot and should see the auto alignment doing its job. Trip to dealer is obviously a better option if its convenient and you trust them. Or any mot centre.
but I think you can at least attempt this yourself without too many problems.
Thanks for those tips. I'll check all of those things you both mentioned tomorrow and contact the Kia dealer if I can't find anything obvious (or if I do find an obvious fault). My wife and I (she has a Rio) have little experience of this dealer (Brentwood, Essex), which took over business from the Lakeside dealership, which itself closed permanently for some reason sometime last year. So far (just one service each) they seem fine though.

For info the Stinger has only done 12,000 miles from new and had a scheduled service last month without any faults being found. Out of interest should they check the auto alignment at a routine service?

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
474 Posts
The led lights are very bright. Although I have a ceed, they are the type of lights I used to complain of others having. I'm surprised I don't get flashed much.

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
As a temp measure you can always use the rotary switch to dip the lights down. should be on 0. Go out in the dark and try turning it between 1 & 3 & see how the lights dip down.

Rough roads do not help either. As it makes the car dip at the back making the lights flash higher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a temp measure you can always use the rotary switch to dip the lights down. should be on 0. Go out in the dark and try turning it between 1 & 3 & see how the lights dip down.

Rough roads do not help either. As it makes the car dip at the back making the lights flash higher.
Rotary switch? Where is it? Don't think I have one of those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should be in the bank of switches above your right knee.
Not on the GT-Line S model I believe. All I have there are a bank of switches:
  • Fuel filler lid open
  • Power tailgate open
  • BCW on/off
  • LKA on/off
  • Instrument panel illumination control

No sign of a rotary switch. I believe that function is controlled by auto alignment on my model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not on the GT-Line S model I believe. All I have there are a bank of switches:
  • Fuel filler lid open
  • Power tailgate open
  • BCW on/off
  • LKA on/off
  • Instrument panel illumination control

No sign of a rotary switch. I believe that function is controlled by auto alignment on my model.
All the Stingers with LED lights have auto adjustment, there is no manual adjustment apart from the ones on the headlights themselves.

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
All the cars with LED lights have auto adjustment, there is no manual adjustment apart from the ones on the headlights themselves.

There has to be some form of adjustment. Or if aim was out, you would never get through a MOT

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
474 Posts
What the heck have Kia given me then. I thought it was led headlights. They are bright but I have a manual height adjuster in car.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
973 Posts
What the heck have Kia given me then. I thought it was led headlights. They are bright but I have a manual height adjuster in car.
As I understand it, there is no requirement for LED headlights to have self-levelling devices (4.1.5 in the MoT guidance). But - like a spare wheel - if it's fitted it must work. So KIA have gone the cheap route and fitted manual adjustment on your LEDs which is still legal.

I imagine when they were weighing-up costs, they thought people would be more impressed by the inclusion of expensive LED headlights with manual adjustment than cheaper HID Xenon lights with auto adjustment.

Reactions: Aln114

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
Yes you will have the adjuster in the car (0 to 3). That is for when you have a load in the back, so you are not lighting up the sky. The real adjusters are within the headlight assembly.

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
474 Posts
Yes you will have the adjuster in the car (0 to 3). That is for when you have a load in the back, so you are not lighting up the sky. The real adjusters are within the headlight assembly.
Yeah it's just a few posts up someone said all led lights must be self leveling, but I think we're sorted now.

Edit: actually I don't believe they used the word must but I sort of read it as that.

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
474 Posts
I really do think some led lights in cars these days are too bright. Catch one at wrong angle and you feel blinded for a second. I include mine in this too. They are great for driver but maybe not so much for others.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I don’t pretend to know the answer, but there does seem to be a basic problem with the LED headlights on the Sportage. When I had my GT Line S I was getting flashed almost every time they were in use. I now have an Xceed with LED headlights (with the adjuster at its highest level) and never been flashed even once. Same manufacturer, 2 different experiences.

·
Super Moderator
3,409 Posts
I don’t pretend to know the answer, but there does seem to be a basic problem with the LED headlights on the Sportage. When I had my GT Line S I was getting flashed almost every time they were in use. I now have an Xceed with LED headlights (with the adjuster at its highest level) and never been flashed even once. Same manufacturer, 2 different experiences.
Yep my Sportage headlights were the same, but I got the dealer to check the alignment and they are spot on now. I suspect they weren't checked on the PDI when we bought the car.

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
It should be on "0" unless you are carrying a lot in the back. That is where they test on MOT.

LED's are far for directional. So you are almost like looking at a light & turning on & off. Given the fact we do not have flat smooth roads..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts