Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Stinger GTS in Panthera Metal with Red Leather
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a couple of images from my 2017 piano black screen to the seemless screen. Job took about 1.5 hours and mainly slowed down by really tight clips. The YouTube video by Jeff Hulbert is perfect -

Although the drivers side knee lower section did not want to come out for me and struggled with the passenger side panel as the key mechanism for the air bag stops it fully being removed. But you can still remove the screw with a screw wrench.

Part codes which you need are:

69525-J5410FHV - screen. I got lucky, mine was off a Dec 2019 car with flood damage and delivery mileage. I paid £220.
84740-J5910WK - replacement dash board section screen mounts to. I got mine from Kia dealer and was £86.

Before

After

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
157 Posts
At first I struggled to see the difference apart from the air freshener pointing the other way!

·
Registered
110 Posts
At first I struggled to see the difference apart from the air freshener pointing the other way!
That's amazing! I imagine that changing to the even newer head unit wouldn't be possible due to different software needing to run on it.

Makes me want to use a USB stick for music too just to get the embedded album art to show. It does look a bit boring when streaming over bluetooth.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This is the first time I've ever seen this done, I always wondered if it was possible. Excellent work. I'd love to do this, but probably won't due to the risk of something going wrong!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Makes me want to use a USB stick for music too just to get the embedded album art to show. It does look a bit boring when streaming over bluetooth.
Maybe I have missed something and I realise a bit off-topic but if you run your phone through the USB port (rather than bluetooth) you get all the album artwork on screen - works with Apple music and Spotify and you get better sound quality.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As I understand it, the screen themselves are pretty much the same, it's just the bezels that differs?

Would be curious to know if the new widescreen (for 2020+ models) would retrofit...

·
Registered
2017 Stinger GTS in Panthera Metal with Red Leather
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They say the screen appears to be a higher definition but so far not really noticed much difference other than the bezel.

The 10.2" I suspect will need a different multi media system so at best, screen bezel, screen dash surround and then centre console and other stuff out to replace the main brain/controller. The new system I suspect has a much upgraded CPU and memory system.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Maybe I have missed something and I realise a bit off-topic but if you run your phone through the USB port (rather than bluetooth) you get all the album artwork on screen - works with Apple music and Spotify and you get better sound quality.
You are correct but most of the time I like the ease of Bluetooth and never bother connecting the cable for Android Auto/Car Play unless going on a very long drive.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Another nice mod, now that you know how to remove that part of the dash would be to install the alcantara version from the new model - could match the headlining nicely. Personally, that section of dash on the old models looks a bit cheap - it's soft touch but I don't the material. Even the non alcantara version on the new car looks better with the line of stitching breaking it up a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts