Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem with a Kia Sportage KX2 2.0 CRDi AWD from 2017 where the left hand indicator has broken and is wiggling around. Feel it might have snapped.

Have looked online and it looks relatively easy to disconnect the battery, remove the airbag, slip off the wheel, notch the steering wheel and shaft so they line back up properly, pop out the old indicator/washer stalk assembly and replace it with another one but wanted to see if anybody on here has had experience of it?

Guessing if I took it to a garage to fix it'd cost anywhere between £350-600???

Any advice would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
981 Posts
It is a 2017 Sportage, I should have thought that would be covered under the 7 year warranty. Check with an authorised Kia dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, genuinely didn't know that'd be covered under warranty! Thanks for the advice, I'll see what my local KIA garage says first :)

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
If it has failed because of faulty manufacture then it will be covered. If it has failed because you have damaged it then it will not be covered.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sorry, genuinely didn't know that'd be covered under warranty! Thanks for the advice, I'll see what my local KIA garage says first :)
I wonder if that is one of the reasons Kia are able to offer the 7 year warranty. If people do not consider using it the costs to them will be low.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you really have to remove the wheel? I removed the indicator stalk on a past vehicle and it was a much easier affair - remove the covers from behind the steering wheel using two screws from underneath, and then you could access the mounting for the stalk very easily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats interesting. I noded that the stalk has a cable in there, is that part of the mounting which can come straight off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you really have to remove the wheel? I removed the indicator stalk on a past vehicle and it was a much easier affair - remove the covers from behind the steering wheel using two screws from underneath, and then you could access the mounting for the stalk very easily.
Sorry, was replying to the above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi chaps,

So replaced the part. Was relatively easy:

1. Disconnected the neutral connection from the battery and left for 45 minutes.
2. Popped the three hidden tabs in the steering wheel (left, right and bottom) to release the airbag. Placed to one side outside of the car facing away.
3. Disconnected and labelled the airbag connector using a labeller.
4. Disconnected and labelled the horn using a labeller.
5. Disconnected the steering wheel connection with the steering column.
6. Loosened the universal bolt holding the steering wheel to the steering column. This takes time and effort with someone holding the steering wheel.
7. Eased the bolt off and then marked where the steering wheel and column sat at that moment so I can re-align both properly later.
8. Eased off the steering wheel and slowly fed the cabling out through the hole at the top. Placed steering wheel to one side outside of the car on a pre-prepared surface.
9. Then removed steering column cover by popping three tabs and gradually working loose.
10. Next, removed screw at bottom of dashboard cowling and popped the top half off to reveal two more screws. These too were removed and the bottom half carefully came off. Steering column height/depth adjuster will come down at this point.
11. Next, unscrewed two final screws to release the indicator assembly. In the mk4 Sportage, this comes as one entire assembly and you're unable to just pop one half off like with previous iterations.
12. Slide the new one off and then work backwards!

Reconnected the battery after triple checking that steering wheel was aligned correctly and that airbag was connected properly. Waited ten minutes and then turned the car back on and tested everything and it works! Hurray! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts