Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I'm a newbie Kia owner ! and need some advice on what towbar I can have fitted to my Niro Hybrid, it's only for towing a small trailer with a simple single electrics light board every now and then, so I'd like a detachable one.

Help!!

Many thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The 2017 model was not Type Approved for towing, so if you did tow with it you risk prosecution and worst risk, the confiscation of your car and trailer, as it would also be uninsured.
If you want to tow you will have to buy a Niro produced 2020 or later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really !! that's poo, why on earth is that? but thanks for the heads up, I'll do some research now of course, not that I don't believe you, just find that ridiculous and a pain TBH as I'm wanting to sell my Peugeot Partner van.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having done some research, it would appear the 2017 Niro is able to tow up to a 1300KG braked trailer, and there are many options available. I'd go for the dedicated wiring kit and a detachable hitch, so will shop around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And again, further to more research, it is in fact indicated on your vehicles V5C there is a section Q-Technical Permissible Maximum Towing Mass of Trailer - so if there's nothing indicated here, then you can't indeed tow. So I may be eating humble pie, when I get the V5C document and look for myself, so best not arrange to fit a tow bar just yet. All good research though, and hopefully of help for anyone else who may be asking.

·
Super Moderator
6,224 Posts
Hi & Welcome.

Pretty sure type approval was from 2020 onwards, but can't say one way or the other for sure. But if you car has been type approved to tow, Check the handbook. Specs are 5-164 on the 2020 HEV.

I know the EV can not tow, but you can get a tow bar that is just for bike carriers.

Personally I would be contacting Kia (not dealer) about this, before going any further.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
2,170 Posts
And again, further to more research, it is in fact indicated on your vehicles V5C there is a section Q-Technical Permissible Maximum Towing Mass of Trailer - so if there's nothing indicated here, then you can't indeed tow. So I may be eating humble pie, when I get the V5C document and look for myself, so best not arrange to fit a tow bar just yet. All good research though, and hopefully of help for anyone else who may be asking.
That is no guarantee, the Technical Maximum Towable Mass Of Trailer section on my Sportage is blank.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Really !! that's poo, why on earth is that? but thanks for the heads up, I'll do some research now of course, not that I don't believe you, just find that ridiculous and a pain TBH as I'm wanting to sell my Peugeot Partner van.
Why? Becasue they wanted to get the car on the market in the UK quickly and couldn't wait for the Type Approval proceedure to be done.

Having done some research, it would appear the 2017 Niro is able to tow up to a 1300KG braked trailer, and there are many options available. I'd go for the dedicated wiring kit and a detachable hitch, so will shop around.
But not in the UK! And I wouldn't bother with a detachable hitch.

Correct, and there is also a label on the door jamb and I know from experience, having nearly bought a pre-2020 car, that there is no towing weights shown. And it is that label the DVSA Inspectors will look at if stopped.

Hi & Welcome.

Pretty sure type approval was from 2020 onwards, but can't say one way or the other for sure. But if you car has been type approved to tow, Check the handbook. Specs are 5-164 on the 2020 HEV.

I know the EV can not tow, but you can get a tow bar that is just for bike carriers.

Personally I would be contacting Kia (not dealer) about this, before going any further.
Having been in exactly this situation prior to our purchase I did contact Kia UK and they confirmed all that I have written. My dealer also checked because he didn't know and got the same info.
It resulted in a nice discount on a brand new car for me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts