Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sportage has developed a crunch when trying to go into 4th gear either when changing up or down .. it has done 72000 miles and only started today has anyone else experienced the same problem ? Not doing it in any other gear

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I was thinking syncro or fluid , wouldn't clutch affect more than one gear ?
Probably but who knows. I had issues with 2nd on a car last year, only did it changing up and only after it was fully warmed. First thing I did was check clutch adjustment which was fine. Checked fluid level which was a bit low so topped up, problem disappeared. With that knowledge and the fact fluid was 12 years old I changed it. Still no more issues.

On another car I had issues but that time it was first and only when stationary. Clutch had warped and was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
354 Posts
Gonna try fresh fluid , first .. thanks for your advise
Sounding like a common issue. Mine had this when I bought it (2nd hand) just literally seen another post that said they had it sorted under warranty. Its the synchro on the gearbox. I had mine done from the warranty at the sellers. Cost the warranty company £2000 Inc new flywheel and clutch. Take it in to kia and see if its covered.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive been told mine is syncro .. very common apparently. Mine is going in on Monday under warranty so let's see what happens .. ill update on here

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kia have agreed to strip gearbox and replace 3,4,5 and 6 syncros under warranty .. also both rear shocks as bushes separated and O ring on high pressure fuel pump which I knew nothing about but they spotted on health check . I have to pay 400 for a new clutch which has burning smell and was advised whilst gearbox is out .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update i am being told eta for parts are June the 6th so that will be 2 weeks without a car before they even start repairs and they are now trying to get me a courtesy car through warranty. I've been lucky enough to use a week of my holiday this week but work 10 miles from my home with no buses running at 515am when I leave for work. Bit of a joke tbh that kia don't supply courtesy cars for warranty work when you spend 22k on a car and they can't fix it ..let's hope they approve me a car or gonna be fireworks 🎆

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Update i am being told eta for parts are June the 6th so that will be 2 weeks without a car before they even start repairs and they are now trying to get me a courtesy car through warranty. I've been lucky enough to use a week of my holiday this week but work 10 miles from my home with no buses running at 515am when I leave for work. Bit of a joke tbh that kia don't supply courtesy cars for warranty work when you spend 22k on a car and they can't fix it ..let's hope they approve me a car or gonna be fireworks 🎆
No manufacturer will guarantee a "courtesy" car. The clue is in the name.

Buy as many fireworks as you like but they will make no difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I know what "courtesy" means but that dosnt make kia"s or any other car manufacturer's policy on providing a "courtesy" car for warranty work correct or fair. Especially when it's a manufacturing fault !

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I know what "courtesy" means but that dosnt make kia"s or any other car manufacturer's policy on providing a "courtesy" car for warranty work correct or fair. Especially when it's a manufacturing fault !
While I sympathise with you on your predicament, unless your KIA dealership changes its stance on provision of a replacement car, I'm afraid that you need to either cycle to and from work, even if it entails buying a bike, renting a car for the time you are without yours, or arranging taxis for your needs.

Yes, it entails a sizeable cost but you are not going to win any battles with the dealer about what you may consider is incumbent upon the company, as has been pointed out. Sorry I can't be more positive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Final update on gearbox issue , all new syncros fitted and issue thankfully sorted, also after a health check 2 new rear shock absorbers , 2 new trailing arms and a new o ring fitted to high pressure fuel pump, all covered by warranty Had a new clutch fitted whilst gearbox was out which cost £413 for parts so all good now . Was given a courtesy car for a week as well a new sportage gt line 😁. So ask nicely and you will probably get looked after !

·
Registered
179 Posts
Final update on gearbox issue , all new syncros fitted and issue thankfully sorted, also after a health check 2 new rear shock absorbers , 2 new trailing arms and a new o ring fitted to high pressure fuel pump, all covered by warranty Had a new clutch fitted whilst gearbox was out which cost £413 for parts so all good now . Was given a courtesy car for a week as well a new sportage gt line 😁. So ask nicely and you will probably get looked after !
This is good news, my car is going back to the dealer a week tomorrow, for the exact same issue...crunching in 4th..at 76K miles...did you get any paperwork or service stamp to confirm this work has been done?
My dealership have already offered me a curtesy car for the 2 day inspection...just hoping the parts are already on site if this is a known issue.
I will ask if the clutch needs replacing whilst the gearbox is out to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts