Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, recently bought a 2016 TDGI GT LINE Sportage.

Love it, but got a few queries if anyone can help please.

I downloaded the specs for this age of model, and on the entry level '1' it says it has Hill Start assist and ISG stop/start. So on the basis the GT LINE is a good few models up, I am assuming my car has these.

However I cannot find the on/off button for the stop/start equally I cant see the Hill start button (I do have the Downhill brake control button).

Could it be the original owner had these 2 things removed but I would have thought these would be factory fit so not possible to have them removed.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The button for the stop start is on the right of the steering wheel next to the door, it has an A with a circular arrow around it.

I don't have the car with me at the moment, but if I remember correctly the Hill start assist is turned off or on in the setup menus (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,416 Posts
The ISG Stop/Start is engine dependent not model dependant, I don't think it was present on the TGDI.
There is no Hill Start assist button, it is an automatic function. Find a slope where it is safe to stop, pull up and keep the foot brake on, change into first ready to pull away. As you move your foot from the brake to the accelerator the brake is held on for a couple of seconds. Check section 6 of your handbook.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Section on Hill Start Assist from handbook.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all will check again for the button, and will try to find a slope to test the HAC

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
My T-Gdi has stop start.
My mistake, I thought it was only present on the 1.6 GDI (134 bhp) and the 1.7 CRDi (114 & 139 bhp) engines.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
One way you will know if you have ISG, when you pull up look down at the binnacle display, if a

briefly appears on the display ISG is present, but the criteria for it to work are not present. If it's working the engine switches off and a green 'A' with a semi-circle appears.
If neither of these thing happen you haven't got it and in all probability never had it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My 66 plate TGDI also does not have stop-start. Thank god.
If it did, I would not have bought it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My 66 plate TGDI also does not have stop-start. Thank god.
If it did, I would not have bought it.
You can just turn it off. That’s what I do on the 2019 Sportage. Before setting off I turn off the auto stop as always feel that it’s going to cause more wear over time. Not sure if it does or not though.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My gt doesn't have it but my wife's car does and I don't even think about it when driving hers. Half the time it doesn't work anyway but until the engine fails to restart, I'll just let it do what it wants. I don't care if the engine is running or not while I sit stationary but as I do a fair amount of city driving, anything that cuts emissions in built up areas has to be a good thing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My gt doesn't have it but my wife's car does and I don't even think about it when driving hers. Half the time it doesn't work anyway but until the engine fails to restart, I'll just let it do what it wants. I don't care if the engine is running or not while I sit stationary but as I do a fair amount of city driving, anything that cuts emissions in built up areas has to be a good thing.
Exactly, it's not like it interferes with the driving of the car.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Exactly, it's not like it interferes with the driving of the car.
No exactly it doesn’t. However, I have heard that it could cause components to fail prematurely. Anyone know if there is any truth to that? That’s reason I turn mine off mainly as I’ve heard it can cause more stress to things like starter motor etc.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
No exactly it doesn’t. However, I have heard that it could cause components to fail prematurely. Anyone know if there is any truth to that? That’s reason I turn mine off mainly as I’ve heard it can cause more stress to things like starter motor etc.
I think it is obvoius that stopping and re-starting a car several times instead of once per journey will cause additional wear to the starter motor but I don't think this is much of an issue. The parts are designed with this use in mind.

Mrs Turnup's Yaris has stop start. It has been in use since 2008 and still works fine. The starter is not the graunchy bendix pinion type, it is permanently engaged and you can just barely hear the starter turn for a fraction of a second before the engine resumes idling with no fuss or faff. It too will not operate if engine is cold, heavy electrical load, or it has restarted too many times recently.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My FIL is a motor mechanic running his own garage in Essex. He is replacing more starter motors on stop/start cars than anything else and way more than at any time in his career of 40 years in the business.
Make of that what you will.

And long term tests I have seen in magazines tend to show better economy with s/s disabled than with it enabled - it seemingly takes more fuel to start and engine than to leave it idling for a few mins - even with the cylinder rotation sensor technology.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My FIL is a motor mechanic running his own garage in Essex. He is replacing more starter motors on stop/start cars than anything else and way more than at any time in his career of 40 years in the business.
Make of that what you will.

And long term tests I have seen in magazines tend to show better economy with s/s disabled than with it enabled - it seemingly takes more fuel to start and engine than to leave it idling for a few mins - even with the cylinder rotation sensor technology.
I have never used start/ stop in any car I’ve owned , precisely for all the above reasons👍

·
Registered
165 Posts
I couldn't find anything like this, but found lots of articles suggesting savings, including one real world test of 3 different cars that found savings of between 3 and 10% in stop start traffic.

In the old days I always used to turn the engine off manually in very heavy traffic, so for me stop start is brilliant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts