Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I apologize if this is a repost, I look through the forum and found a few similar posts like mine, but I don't know if I am just not reading it right or they aren't the situation I am having.

My 2016 Sportage EX Tailgate will not lock. It scares me because I am in an area where Kia theft is heavy. I had just gotten this car 3 days ago and it wasn't doing this when I got it. I don't know what I was doing different. I have tried using both FOBs and the buttons in the door and it will not lock.

When I have the tailgate open, and lock the door, I can hear power going the the tailgate button, and it stiffens as if it were locked, but when I shut it, the mechanism won't engage/turn over to its locking position.

I read that it wont lock if you are within a certain distance of the car. I haven't tested lock the doors with out the FOB on me yet. I don't know if I even read that right. Or if the Fuse in the fuse box might be starting the go?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Andy- New Kia Owner

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hello All,

I apologize if this is a repost, I look through the forum and found a few similar posts like mine, but I don't know if I am just not reading it right or they aren't the situation I am having.

My 2016 Sportage EX Tailgate will not lock. It scares me because I am in an area where Kia theft is heavy. I had just gotten this car 3 days ago and it wasn't doing this when I got it. I don't know what I was doing different. I have tried using both FOBs and the buttons in the door and it will not lock.

When I have the tailgate open, and lock the door, I can hear power going the the tailgate button, and it stiffens as if it were locked, but when I shut it, the mechanism won't engage/turn over to its locking position.

I read that it wont lock if you are within a certain distance of the car. I haven't tested lock the doors with out the FOB on me yet. I don't know if I even read that right. Or if the Fuse in the fuse box might be starting the go?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Andy- New Kia Owner
Hi Andy
Welcome to the group
I would go back to the car without the fob and see if it has locked, you may find it has.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I don't know which spec the 2016 Sportage EX is in relation to the U.K. spec cars, however apart from cars with 'Smart Power Tailgate', most U.K. cars need a button press to lock/unlock. I agree with @Sipwine check without a fob anywhere near the car, but I suspect the locking mechanism is not operating properly.
You may also want to look at our sister site Kia Forum which is primarily North American based.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts