Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if this model has a DPF. I need to know because the handbook gives different engine oil for DPF and non DPF models

·
Registered
527 Posts
Does anybody know if this model has a DPF. I need to know because the handbook gives different engine oil for DPF and non DPF models
All diesels sold in the UK after 01 January 2011 had to be fitted with DPF's by law. Our September 2010 registered Ceed CRDi (MY 2001) was the first delivered by our dealer with one fitted.

Your car has a DPF unless its been modified, if its been modified its illegal to use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All diesels sold in the UK after 01 January 2011 had to be fitted with DPF's by law. Our September 2010 registered Ceed CRDi (MY 2001) was the first delivered by our dealer with one fitted.

Your car has a DPF unless its been modified, if its been modified its illegal to use.
Thanks BA, the handbook is confusing in that it implies that my 2015 model could be fitted with an engine that has or has not a DPF.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is your car a French or UK model ? Ashie.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Is your car a French or UK model ? Ashie.
Will not make any difference. The UK DPF laws were the same as the EU laws from 01 January 2011, that why its known as Euro 5. In some countries DPF's were mandatory before they were legally required but not in the UK. Back about 12 years ago we had 2 Euro 4 diesels in the house, one had a DPF, one did not. Simple reason was the fact that one could meet the requirements of Euro 4 without a DPF but the other was an older, dirtier design that could not.

When the Ceed first arrived both the 1.6 CRDi and the 2.0 CRDi were classed as Euro 4. The 1.6 was anew design and did not need a DPF but the 2.0 was an old design and did. Move onto the facelift in 2009 and they dropped the 2 litre and the 1.6 was re-classifed as Euro 5 still without a DPF since it complied. Only when the MY11 cars arrived did the 1.6 get a DPF since all diesels required one by law form 01 January 2011 even if in theory they had previously met the regs. Some manufacturers introduced an EOLYS fluid to help regens in cars that were never designed to use a DPF but fortunately for Kia owners they were never needed, an expensive item should the system fail and the needed an expensive top up. We were quoted £300 every 3 years when we looked at a Focus.

·
Registered
218 Posts
When we bought our 2008 Sportage I asked whether it had a DPF or not,salesman said 'no' but when I had a look under the car I could clearly see that it did have a DPF fitted,I know it is not as easy to look under a Ceed but it would give peace of mind and you would know for sure.
I would have thought that a 2015 car would have a DPF fitted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When we bought our 2008 Sportage I asked whether it had a DPF or not,salesman said 'no' but when I had a look under the car I could clearly see that it did have a DPF fitted,I know it is not as easy to look under a Ceed but it would give peace of mind and you would know for sure.
I would have thought that a 2015 car would have a DPF fitted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As 'Back Again' stated further up the thread, if this is a UK model from 2011 the car would have left the factory with a DPF fitted. The only reason it would not have one would be because its been removed by a previous . This would make it illegal and wouldn't pass an MOT. I see your registered in France which means EU rules would be the same.

I'm not sure you can see it from the engine bay but more from underneath the car (I've never personally looked for mine) But they will look like a Cat converter on the down pipe from the exhaust manifold.

Having a search on google I found this:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Our Sportage DPF looks similar to this but Ceed might be different.I think it may have a thin heat shield as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As 'Back Again' stated further up the thread, if this is a UK model from 2011 the car would have left the factory with a DPF fitted. The only reason it would not have one would be because its been removed by a previous . This would make it illegal and wouldn't pass an MOT. I see your registered in France which means EU rules would be the same.

I'm not sure you can see it from the engine bay but more from underneath the car (I've never personally looked for mine) But they will look like a Cat converter on the down pipe from the exhaust manifold.

Having a search on google I found this:
Thank you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts