Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
New to Kia, love the car
just a bit of information please, cannot find anything of much help
Does the engine have hydraulic tappets, or do they need to be adjusted periodically at dealer service intervals
thanks in advance

Registered
If your using google for a search it might be worth doing a search for the engine type rather than a specific car.. that might bring up more specific info for you..馃檪

Banned
Well the fact that there is a spec does not mean that there is an adjustment.any more than there is an adjustment for Journal Outer Diameter. I would be very surprised if they were not hydraulic. Even in the days of rockers and adjusters there was not any requirement to adjust tappets at any particular mileage - you could hear when they needed doing. Later came directly operated valves (no rocker) where the clearances were set with shims but rarely needed doing unless valves were replaced or head removed. Why not whip the cam cover off and see if there is any adjustment possible - I'll expect that there is none.

Registered
Although my 2010 Piccanto has a different engine the maintenance schedule for Valve clearance says: Inspect every 24 months. explained as : Inspect for excessive valve noise and or engine vibration and adjust if necessary. leave to authorized KIA dealer.
So basically, they listen to the engine and leave it alone( usually) I take that to mean. So is yours noisy?

Registered
Well the fact that there is a spec does not mean that there is an adjustment.any more than there is an adjustment for Journal Outer Diameter. I would be very surprised if they were not hydraulic. Even in the days of rockers and adjusters there was not any requirement to adjust tappets at any particular mileage - you could hear when they needed doing. Later came directly operated valves (no rocker) where the clearances were set with shims but rarely needed doing unless valves were replaced or head removed. Why not whip the cam cover off and see if there is any adjustment possible - I'll expect that there is none.
I actually found a lot more from one of my searches.. is the later 2017-2020 3 cylinder kapper engine the same as the one on this thread.. anyone know ? I now have a workshop manual for the above.. 馃槇

Just to wet your whistles..

Registered
1.25 liter 4 cylinder engine (G4LA) has hydraulic tapets ( no maintenance required ) . The 1.0 liter 3-cylinder engine (G3LA) doesn't have hydraulic tappets (manual adjustement required from time to time)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.