Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
started car today ,loud knocking noise on start up for couple seconds ,then stopped noise,and then ran ok.car done 50,000,but less than 2 000 in last yr .
coming to end of 7 yr warranty at end of this month.
any ideas fellas ????
please

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
started car today ,loud knocking noise on start up for couple seconds ,then stopped noise,and then ran ok.car done 50,000,but less than 2 000 in last yr .
Welcome to the forum, 'gsdruleok'.

My first thought relates to the servicing regime. When was the engine oil and filter last changed? If that is due, or overdue, then that would be the first thing I would attend to. It is not unusual for a dry engine, unused for some time, to take a moment or two to drag up some oil via the pump and deliver it to all points. Mechanical noise may present for a brief moment till the oil gets to all the moving parts but so long as it disappears quickly and isn't repeated on normal use, everything should be fine.

in conclusion, if the vehicle has been laid up quite a bit over the last year and seriously underused, change oil and filter. If the problem persists, take it to a KIA dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, 'gsdruleok'.

My first thought relates to the servicing regime. When was the engine oil and filter last changed? If that is due, or overdue, then that would be the first thing I would attend to. It is not unusual for a dry engine, unused for some time, to take a moment or two to drag up some oil via the pump and deliver it to all points. Mechanical noise may present for a brief moment till the oil gets to all the moving parts but so long as it disappears quickly and isn't repeated on normal use, everything should be fine.

in conclusion, if the vehicle has been laid up quite a bit over the last year and seriously underused, change oil and filter. If the problem persists, take it to a KIA dealer.
hi,many thanks for your reply ,the car has full service history,all at same kia garage ,1 owner.my concern is why has it just done this and not say 6 months ago.i think i am going to give it a run ,when weather is dry ,as spent 4hrs polishing it,and see if it does it again ,give it a run and turn off and see what happens then,is this a good idea ,please

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi,many thanks for your reply ,the car has full service history,all at same kia garage ,1 owner.my concern is why has it just done this and not say 6 months ago.i think i am going to give it a run ,when weather is dry ,as spent 4hrs polishing it,and see if it does it again ,give it a run and turn off and see what happens then,is this a good idea ,please

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.