Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to ask Kia Customer Services a question.

We have a 2014 '64 Plate Soul crdi manual with less than 17000 miles on the clock that appears to be developing a front wheel bearing noise (most noticeable around 50mph especially when going round right hand bends).
Before we go to our local Kia dealer, who has serviced the car every year from new, I want to confirm whether wheel bearings are covered under the Kia 7 year warranty? I don't want to book the car in for investigation only to be told it's not covered under warranty and be landed with a hefty bill.

Considering the car has an extremely low mileage for it's age I'd hope if it's a mechanical/wheel bearing failure it would be covered but are wheel bearings classed as a wear item?

Appreciate some advice/confirmation.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Wheel bearings are not a wear item nor are they serviced so failure due to materials or manufacture are warranted. Damage from external causes is not covered. Might not be a wheel bearing - could be a drive shaft.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wheel bearings are not a wear item nor are they serviced so failure due to materials or manufacture are warranted. Damage from external causes is not covered. Might not be a wheel bearing - could be a drive shaft.
Quote from the meineke.com website -As with most automotive components, the wheel bearing can eventually give way to wear and tear, and may even need to be replaced. How will you know when it’s time for a wheel bearing replacement or at least have your vehicle looked at by an automotive professional? Pay attention to some of the key warning signs of a bad wheel bearing.

I am not disputing your obvious technical/engineering knowledge Turnup but there appears to be another point of view to the one you've stated?

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
I don't think you will get any confirmation if they are covered until they are inspected.
Sadly low mileage does not mean things last longer.
In fact lack of use can cause premature failure as bearings can rust & seize up.

A good check for a worn wheel bearing is to jack the wheel off the ground and grip it top/bottom & front/back and give it a good pull/push. If bearing is worn, you will feel movement in the direction you are push/pulling. As well as a good spin should sound all quiet. But be aware that brake pads can drag on disk. as well as having to clear any surface rust off if stood, even for overnight.

Reactions: Drwho2

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Quote from the meineke.com website -As with most automotive components, the wheel bearing can eventually give way to wear and tear, and may even need to be replaced. How will you know when it’s time for a wheel bearing replacement or at least have your vehicle looked at by an automotive professional? Pay attention to some of the key warning signs of a bad wheel bearing.

I am not disputing your obvious technical/engineering knowledge Turnup but there appears to be another point of view to the one you've stated?
Unlike wear items such as clutch or brake pads/discs, the expectation of a wheel bearing is that it will never need replacing. Certainly not at a mere 17k miles. Yes they can fail but this is invariably one of external influence (like kerbing) or incorrect installation, or faulty manufacture, or poor design or really really high mileage. The key word in your reference is eventually and of course eventually everything will wear out if it does not fail for other causes. KIA would have a hard time claiming wear failure on a wheel bearing at 17k miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys, thanks for your comments.
The reason I'm hoping Kia Customer Services respond is exactly for the reasons you have both mentioned. Wheel bearings can sometimes be classed as a wear item but I personally don't think that a wheel bearing being noisy at less than 17000 miles is normal wear and tear.
There has been no external forces to damage it (still original tyres, no wheel marking from kerbs and I would imagine the front wheels haven't even been taken off yet!) and the car has been maintained as required under Kia's service program/package at our local Kia dealer. I have a mechanical background (my father use to run a garage) so I'm quietly confident in my diagnosis.
As the car isn't used greatly, mainly short journeys but with regular trips to the airport, and the odd very long trip to Scotland and Newcastle from Surrey when the noise was noticed, I'd just like KCS to reply and advise me of the best course of action, and likely warranty response, before I ring our local dealer.
The car hasn't been completely fault free in it's life so this is another thing which is making me think Kia's aren't as good as I thought. If this experience goes badly, and I end up with a big bill, then I shan't be happy.
Please KCS can you respond and let me know either way, once you're back in the office.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for your comments.
, I'd just like KCS to reply and advise me of the best course of action, and likely warranty response, before I ring our local dealer.
I would lay odds that KCS will say that it needs to be taken to a dealer to be looked at before any decision can be made.
No way can any warranty opinion be offered without a physical inspection.

Extreme example. Car could have been stood a water over axle deep, thus causing water ingress to bearing.

Reactions: Drwho2 and Turnup

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Hi D&K

Thanks for the post.

Wheel bearings are not a consumable exclusion to the standard 7 year /100,000 mile warranty. However, we do need this inspected by a Kia technician to confirm if there is a defect to material and workmanship. If they can rule out factors beyond the manufacturer's control causing this issue, they'll submit a warranty claim. Please get in touch by PM if any follow up is required once the car is with them.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit Discover Our Kia Range & Find A Local Dealer | Kia Motors UK
Follow https://twitter.com/KiaUK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Watch www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Customer Service opening hours:

Monday to Friday: 08:30 - 19:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 13:00
Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi KCS,
Many thanks for your reply to my post. You have answered my question and confirmed that if our issue is a wheel bearing it will be covered under the 7 year warranty, as long as it's not due to damage etc.
I feel easier in now contacting our local dealer to have the issue looked into and not being landed with a large bill.
Thanks again for your response,
D&K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts