Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a limited edition Picanto that keeps burning headlamps out. The one has signs of over heating on the negative wire connection and the dim beam stops working within 5 minutes of replacing bulb. On high beam they both work. The bulbs keep burning out with evidence of over heating on the bulbs themselves-bubbles in bulb. I cannot afford an auto electrician. Any advise would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
175 Posts
Hi all. I have a limited edition Picanto that keeps burning headlamps out. The one has signs of over heating on the negative wire connection and the dim beam stops working within 5 minutes of replacing bulb. On high beam they both work. The bulbs keep burning out with evidence of over heating on the bulbs themselves-bubbles in bulb. I cannot afford an auto electrician. Any advise would be highly appreciated.
are both left and right burning out?
are they burning out without the engine/alternator running or only when the engine runs?
are you replacing with quality bulbs or cheap versions?
if you have a multimeter it’d be worth checking the voltage readings across the bulbs…

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are both left and right burning out?
are they burning out without the engine/alternator running or only when the engine runs?
are you replacing with quality bulbs or cheap versions?
if you have a multimeter it’d be worth checking the voltage readings across the bulbs…
They are both burning out with and without Engine running. I'll do a test with multimeter. Thanks for reply.

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
Where are the bulbs from?

Really need to know the power at the lights. Both engine on & off.

I would also check that someone has not changed the fuses from the correct rating. As they should blow before bulbs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's difficult to see how they can burn out if the voltage at the bulbs is ok. Unless (and I have no idea how this could happen) the bulbs are for a lower voltage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for responses. I'm going to borrow a multimeter from mate so will post my findings and info on brand of bulbs. Probably on weekend as I travel to and from work in the dark so weekend is only chance I have.

·
Registered
Picanto 4 ISG mk2 (TA) 2015 1.25
16 Posts
When changing the bulbs, presumably you are not touching the glass with bare hands? Oil from your skin will cause a hot spot and reduce the life of the bulb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All. Thanks for responses. So I took some readings with a multimeter which are as follows: engine on: low beam: 14.84v for left side and 14.81v for right. High beam: 14.87 for left and 14.70 for right. Engine off: low beam: 12.17 for left and 12.12 for right. High beam: 12.16 for left and 12.14 for right. I also took some pictures of the terminals and bulbs and packaging I got them in. See attached
Rh plug.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
175 Posts
To me they looks like a very cheap brand. (Fancy packaging but not much else!)
I’d recommend buying standard type bulbs (without all the HID crap on the packet)
See if the problem still happens
Voltage readings are as i would expect.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nightbeaker bulbs are a reputable brand and many people have used and recommend them. In my experience buying cheap bulbs never ends well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
As SiW says, the voltage is as expected, maybe a tad high but nothing outrageous. So I would be looking at the connections and relays. A loose connection will generate lots of voltage spikes which could damage the bulb. Check the earthing too.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
175 Posts
The connectors may need a clean, dirt will create resistance. It’s clear they’ve been exposed to high temperatures.
the melting effect on the bulb could be caused by fitting them with dirt on the glass.
mid personnaly try some standard style bulbs without HID or 8500k plastered all over them. They could potentially be causing the issue. Plus standard bulbs are a known quantity

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
Readings are OK. As you would expect.
Plugs need cleaning up and making sure they are making good contact. One bulb appears to have been touched given the bubble on it.
Also you are showing Blue bulbs, and the ones in the packs are clear.

I would get some known brands either as a @Alanw47 suggests or Phillips.

No such thing as a HID bulb like that. HID's require a ballast to work. So where ever they are from (ebay?) is spinning a line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts