Kia Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sounds a bit strange this, not had this issue myself.

If your tanking it towards somewhere and then have to stop, simply letting off the throttle will cause the ECU to automatically open the BOV to get rid of the compressed air which has no where to go (apart from back to the turbo but this would cause a fluttering sound)

If the boost and torque gauges look normal at the time, it could be a BOV issue or a solenoid issue? Sounds like the car isn't getting the correct air flow or fuel after you release the accelerator. The engine wants 'x' amount of air to keep idling but the BOV is staying open for too long?

Our cars don't operate the BOV based on a simple vacuum line from the inlet manifold but the ECU activatessolenoids (both on the exhaust waste gate and BOV) to trigger them.

Oh and I run boggo standard 95 petrol 90% of the time.

Edited by: Jam0r

·
Registered
199 Posts
Carrying on from what I said, I'd be checking the rubber VAC lines coming from the solenoid to the BOV for any splits or cracks or any obvious signs of air leaks. Then I'd look at the BOV itself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hey Glenn,

It does it all the time! I can't put my finger on the exact cause and have tried to replicate with mechanics several times without success. Am just keeping an eye on it and trying to narrow down the trigger.

You?

Kez

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey Jam0r,
Thanks so much for your response - unfortunately I have no idea what it all means but will discuss with someone who does!
Torque and turbo gauges are actually elevated when the problem happens and then settle (along with the rough idle) after about 20 seconds or so (depends how hard I've pushed it).
Cheers,
Kez

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just to add to that - dealer said it can run on 91 unleaded, but Kia mechanics and other turbo enthusiasts I've spoken to said it cannot run on anything other than 98 premium.

·
Registered
199 Posts
kez said:
Hey Jam0r,
Thanks so much for your response - unfortunately I have no idea what it all means but will discuss with someone who does!
Torque and turbo gauges are actually elevated when the problem happens and then settle (along with the rough idle) after about 20 seconds or so (depends how hard I've pushed it).
Cheers,
Kez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3SwpzrDFO4

This is a video of my car both on power and off power. Does your turbo gauge do the same as mine? Does it go all the way down quickly and remain there until you press the accelerator again?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm one step closer in finding cause of the problem in my car.
Over the last 12 months I have been monitoring the ECU with a OBD tool.

For a while I have been getting P1111 and P1113 error codes in the log but when I asked my dealer to scan the car for errors they didn't detect anything so I assumed if was nothing to worry about.

A week ago I cleared the logs and about half an hour later the car played up again. Immediately I checked the log and found that P1111 had returned!

Kia Ceed OBD-II Trouble Codes:
P1111 = Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve Circuit Bank 1
P1113 = IAT Sensor - open or short

I'm off to the dealer for my 30K service in a week or two and will tackle them again.

Kez - Not sure if you have a Android phone but I recommend you buy one of these OBD tools (only $5) to do tests as well.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-ELM327-V2-1OBD2-OBDII-Bluetooth-Adapter-Auto-Scanner-TORQUE-ANDROID-Tool-SN-/151799105076?hash=item2357ee8634:g:ZHsAAOSwyQtVsJvB

If my problem is caused by some faulty sensors then this has nothing to do with fuel RON.

Edited by: glennbot

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey
Ive had the issue with my gt after coming to a quick stop. Almost like the car wasent ready for it. The car stutters and comes back into life again. Its never stalled but feels like it will. Its never been an issue but i imagine it would come under warrenty if yours starts stalling bud
Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hiya kez.have a 64 gt and had the same problem a couple of times too.mainly under hard acceleration and then when i brake hard for a roundabout etc.mine has never stalled and a quick tap on the accelerator corrects it.fitted a jetex filter for better airflow and it seems to be much better now.the rpm has dropped off once but picked up much quicker.is it the filter,i don't know for definate but with the increased airflow it does seem to be a different beast altogether.as the gt runs the same airbox and filter as the standard diesel and petrol varients i think this may be a deciding factor.other than that i'm extremely happy with the car.would i buy another,definately.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks so much everyone.
Glenn, unfortunately I have an iPhone but thanks so much anyway. Let me know how you go with the service guys. Can I ask which service centre you're taking yours to? I've been going to the guys at Toowong.
Gazzared, thank you. We're going to try the pod filter and see how that goes.
Cheers, Kez

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too have had the P1111 error here in QLD. The dealer said that it related to predetonation and questioned which fuel I had been using. I have only put 98 in since new, the only mod is the resonator delete which would have nothing to do with this code. That said, there has been no noticeable effect on performance and no CEL.
I will be checking the codes again soon to see if P1111 comes back but it is interesting that someone else is having the same code.

Edited by: oldAndyMac

·
Registered
24 Posts
OK - Took my car in for it's 30K service and as expected the dealer was unable to resolve the problem due to it being intermittent.

What was interesting is the Kia's diagnostic tool doesn't detect the P1111 error.

in a month or two they offered to loan me a car for a week so they could run some tests and connect a data logger to the engine.
The mechanic told me they can record all the sensor data and do a snap shot when the fault happens and then upload this to Kia Korea.

I'm convinced the error is connected to the rough idle some how.
I wonder if the fault has something to do with the humid hot weather?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just having a read over this thread. One thing I noticed when doing some changes to my car was the engine wiring loom runs very close to the gearbox mount. It had actually began to rub through the loom. It,s situated just under the ecu and hard to see but if you run your hand down the loom from the ecu you will feel how close the loom is to the gearbox mount. Have a good check in this area!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gaz92 my kia dealership noticed this problem when i took my kia gt in after the turbo wouldent kick in. They said it was because of the problem you described. They fixed it under warrenty and moved it to a safer place apparently. Well spoted

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gaz,Any chance you can take a photo of the location where the cable rubs?

Also,
I'm not sure if this is the same with all the other Proceeds here but I can confirm 100% that my GT flags a P1111 error every time it gets the rough idle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gaz, I checked my loom and it's still intact (see attached)

Interesting how you say it's a "cylinder pressure too high" fault.
I now remember on me first service the mechanic mentioning this fault but dismissed it as just a glitch.

I wonder why that dealer could read the OBD code but not my current dealer?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The dealer should carrry out a step by step troubleshooting process for that fault code. If they get stuck or are out of ideas they should then contact kia technical for further help. Unfortunately with the ever increasing electrics in cars with many computers and sensors cars are much harder to diagnose than they used to be.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts