1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a 2014 GT with the following issue? When you suddenly
put your foot down, say, to catch a green light (but miss it) and then
come to a stop, the car grumbles and threatens to stall (which it never does) for
anywhere between 30 and 60 seconds, and then corrects itself back. I have noticed the turbo and torque gauges increasing during this period also and then they drop back to normal idle range.

Kia tell me this is normal, that 'the air pressure is stopped dead when
the throttle is closed and it takes a second to recover'. They told me
this was normal for a turbo. I know nothing about turbo engines or any
engine for that matter, but my brother is a car nut and doesn't see how
this could work or how it is an issue with the turbo itself. He says it doesn't happen with his WRX.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue for me, please?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kez,I'm amazed to read another owner describe exactly what happens to my GT sometimes as I thought it was just a one off.

I have experienced this rough idle after stopping just after accelerating quickly.
The idle drops down to around 500 RPM (normally ~750) and on two occasions has stalled.
If I interrupt the rough idle with a few accelerator presses it seems to come right.

Next time it happens I want to turn the A/C off to see if this is effects it.

I have owned a WRX and a turbo Golf and never seen anything like this.

One other Bug I have found is the Cruise Control won't Set some times. Turning the ignition off and on fixes it.

Other than these glitches I'm extremely happy with my Proceed - over all a great car!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
glennbot, thank you so much! I was beginning to feel like I was all alone!! I'm sorry to hear that it is happening to you, too, and that the car has actually stalled. Thankfully, mine has not yet. Agree completely - it will come right most of the time with a few presses of the accelerator. But it's frustrating after having been told that the car is meant to be driven hard. That's one of the reasons I chose it. Now, I'm too scared to do so, as I'm afraid it won't start again if it does stall. I'm pretty sure mine does it regardless of whether or not the A/C is on. So, obviously, you haven't had it looked at?? If you do take it in, would you please be able to let me know what they say? I'm going to take it into another service centre, and if I don't get the answer I am looking for, will take it to my trusty ex-mechanic. I have a feeling the wool is being pulled over my eyes as this is a possible warranty issue...

Haven't had any issues with the cruise. Hopefully, Kia can get this sorted for you as well. :)

Agree - I'm really happy with the car overall. We just need to iron out this glitch and it'll be perfect.

Thanks again for your response.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine has done that but only recently. I have one of the first GT's - 63 plate. Never stalled, but whenever I thought it might I always pressed the accelerator and it was fine. I did that in my ex's Integra DC5 too. But it's 11/12yrs old.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently took my GT in for its 15K service and mentioned the rough idle after pushing the car. After returning to collect my car the dealer (as to be expected) said they couldn't find the fault and without seeing the fault they can't fix it.

I left the dealer unsatisfied so I call Kia's Customer care team. Wow - what a complete difference. The guy on the phone (Nick) Actually showed interest in my issue and went out of his way to assure me that I have a good car and they have had no other reported occurrences of this problem. He said he would log my details and let me know of any update to the issue. I was impressed with the professionalism I received and I'm now confident this won't be brushed under the carpet.

Next step is to try and reproduce the problem for the dealer and anyone that is getting the run around, just call Kia directly.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Do we have mechanics these days? If there is no fault showing on a computer none exists. Is that what we want it? Real mechanics tackled and rectified problems, today so called technicians merely replace parts 'till they get it right, similar to washing machine repairers.. The skills have gone down the tube.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Car went in, got it's keyless transmitter sorted and was even taken on a wee run (to get it washed and hoovered out) and I had mentioned it but like you said, unless it does it when they are in the car with you they can't do much. Which I understand. Can't really deal with a problem if they can't feel and see it. I'm beginning to wonder if it maybe has something to do with the fuel. I mean I always put in the 'special' stuff but I don't always go to the same garage. Anyone else who's had the problem, do you get your fuel from the same place or other places?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have not had the problem for a while now.

What I have done is buy a OBD/bluetooth adaptor off ebay and install OBD Torque software on my phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

It allows you to check all the info from the ECU like intake temperature, timing, fuel pressure etc.

Hopefully I can capture some data from the engine next time it happens which I can feed back to the dealer/Kia.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hi Lancelot,I think it must be down to individual garages as I took my GT into my local dealership with a problem of the car not displaying the correct mpg or miles to empty and the "Mechanic" was very good and went through everything that I had reported, He then created a technical report to send to Kia as there had been no similar faults reported. - Car went back today and all the problems have been rectified.

Granted - not like the old mechanics that used to diagnose the fault and deal with it - most are now computertechnicians due to the computers and electronics in modern cars.

regards

Phil

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi guys,
Thanks so much for all of your feedback. The problem hasn't returned since I failed to replicate the issue with the mechanic a month ago. I'm wondering whether it was still wearing in?? Laura, I am also using top grade premium fuel for the turbo, so unsure as to whether this was the issue.
:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm no mechanic (or one of these 'girly girls') but I am always genuinely interested in how the car works and everything - spend way too much time looking at things online etc
always like to find things out to ensure the integrity of the cars I'm driving. So it was just one thing that sprung to mind because of what I put in etc.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts