Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 loyal and reliable 1.6Crdi Auto Sportswagon has developed an annoying intermittent diesel engine starting fault.

It happened about 15 times a year..........

When the engine is either hot or cold and the gear shift lever is in 'P' position, I turn 'on' ignition key switch and when the glowplug light goes 'off ' I turn on the ignition key switch. so far all normal.
The engine will then refuse to turn over and all that can be heard is a quiet sounding relay, clicking from behind the dashboard area on each turn of the key.

The only way I can then start the engine is to manually release the gear shift lever by pressing the release button and move the gear lever into the 'N' position. The engine will then start up ok in that 'N' position, but not if reset to the 'P' position.
The car may drive ok for the remainder of the day or the fault then occurs engine normal hot state.
This fault will then reappear again sometimes the next day or next month!! There is no pattern to this starting fault.

The Kia dealer could not detect any fault apparent and commented nothing showed up on their diagnostics reader.

My question is....I have read somewhere on a Ceed review that this is a defect that Kia are aware of, but don't really know how to rectify the defect?
Have any other Ceed Auto owners encountered this annoying intermittent fault and have found a solution?

Many thanks

Railman

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 loyal and reliable 1.6Crdi Auto Sportswagon has developed an annoying intermittent diesel engine starting fault.

It happened about 15 times a year..........

When the engine is either hot or cold and the gear shift lever is in 'P' position, I turn 'on' ignition key switch and when the glowplug light goes 'off ' I turn on the ignition key switch. so far all normal.
The engine will then refuse to turn over and all that can be heard is a quiet sounding relay, clicking from behind the dashboard area on each turn of the key.

The only way I can then start the engine is to manually release the gear shift lever by pressing the release button and move the gear lever into the 'N' position. The engine will then start up ok in that 'N' position, but not if reset to the 'P' position.
The car may drive ok for the remainder of the day or the fault then occurs engine normal hot state.
This fault will then reappear again sometimes the next day or next month!! There is no pattern to this starting fault.

The Kia dealer could not detect any fault apparent and commented nothing showed up on their diagnostics reader.

My question is....I have read somewhere on a Ceed review that this is a defect that Kia are aware of, but don't really know how to rectify the defect?
Have any other Ceed Auto owners encountered this annoying intermittent fault and have found a solution?

Many thanks

Railman
Hi yes I have the same fault on my Kia 1.6 diesel automatic crdi 2012 it is the mirror of the problem you have
does anyone have a solution.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hmm. I've not got an auto, when acting normally will the car start only in Park or Neutral, not Drive or Reverse?

Is it possible some sensor/switch/button in the gear shift mechanism is sticking closed so the car doesn't know if it is the correct gear to start?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts