Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking to replace my 2008 Qashqai (CVT auto) maybe with a Kia Soul, only issue I see is the road noise as my Qashqai is very quiet.

I haven't taken a test drive yet but every review mentions road noise and so do several forum threads.

Looking around several US reviews state the 2012 Soul has improved noise reduction, yet I find no mention in the UK press release and can't find any actual reviews of the Soul 2012 driven.

Example review: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1108_2012_kia_soul_drive/

Can anyone confirm improved road noise in the 2012 model?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
the USA owners have noticed an improvement - but our roads are very different to theirs. The only way is for you test drive the Soul on roads you yourself are familiar with in the Nissan and compare.... its your opinion that counts. And dont be suckered into test driving a small wheeled and tyred demo car and then buying a big tyred special...... there is a big difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it would be a higher spec 18" rim model I'd go for if any.

Need to find time to book test drive.

I know all roads different but a change in sound proofing would make a relative change on any road, in theory.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Changed the 18" Hankooks at 26.5k for the same again and very happy indeed, the old ones would have done another 2-3k but with the winter coming on I thought that new ones would be better. Has anyone thought about fitting winter tyres, there seems to be a big push on this at the moment.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Kia have done tweeks to the suspension to reduce road noise but having not driven one I can't quantify that statement. Mine has 16" wheels which I wouldn't deem too noisy anyway. I will drive one of the later models soon and report back.
As for winter tyres, I am stuck between going back to a 4X4 or changing to winter tyres. I will ponder a bit longer but for those in no doubt they are keeping their car, snow tyres are a very good idea. They make a significant difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I have a 11 month old that takes all my time when not working these days.

I'd love a more efficient but spacious replacement for my 35mpg qashqai auto to keep similar spec means being forced to skinny 18" rims.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
dont expect the Soul diesel automatic to be massively more economical than your nissan..... the Soul is a tubby and blunt car....economy is not its strong suit. The most people get out of the manual diesel is about 51mpg if very careful...... 45mpg is more the norm and significantly less for the Auto.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The 18" tyres are not skinny ,they are also not cheap !I have moved to the east coast and I am getting 51 - 54mpg at the moment out of the Tempest manual diesel,if I have run back to South Yorkshire on the motorwayit drops to about 48mpg.
The tyre noise on the 18" hankooks is still not to bad at all and the performance of the tyres are more than aceptable. The soul is built better than the Nissan and better to drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I average 33mpg on my Qashqai petrol auto, official combined is 35.3.

The new 6 speed diesel auto on the kia doesn't look too bad:

Urban / extra urban / combined

Manual 49.6 / 64.2 / 57.6

Auto38.2 / 56.5 / 47.9

Interesting what real would figures people have seen.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
64.2mpg........lol......i got a damp patch on my undies with laughing...... some one needs to go on Jackanory!!!.......lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I disagree as if I drive my qashqai carefully I can easily manage combined figure of 35.3.

Question is does anyone have a new 6 speed auto yet?

I suppose need to start a new thread to try and find someone.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i was laughing at the kia quoted figures!!!....i have been driving 33 years and the Soul is the only car i have had that i cannot better the quoted economy figures with. I once managed 69mpg average over 2 weeks touring in a 900cc fiat Uno petrol...and that was 24 years ago!!!....... so much for improved efficiency in modern cars.

There is a thread on here with actual owners economy figures..... search and find it. The 2012 diesel is hardly any different apart from the gearbox...... so the improvement will be marginal.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
oh and dont trust the fuel gauge to work out your figures...... fill to the brim and see how far you have gotten on the fuel you need to then refill it. The fuel gauge is very inaccurate and is actually half full when it shows three quarters full on the gauge.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes but the safety of modern cars also adds weight AND you don't get your creature comforts...24yrs ago in a fiat UNO.... Your legs were part of the crumple zones!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
RichieD76 said:
Yes but the safety of modern cars also adds weight AND you don't get your creature comforts...24yrs ago in a fiat UNO.... Your legs were part of the crumple zones!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
namby pamby modern day health and safety!!!.....i remember the days when men were men and sheep were scared......lol

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The vehicle I learnt to drive in was made in 1949 ish and had rubber wings a windscreen that opened and a heater that was a parrafin lamp hanging on a hook.It also had a ladder rack built into the roof and brass handles on the doors,it would not go fast enough to need crumple zones.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts