Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have recently bought a new 1.4 diesel Kia Rio and Iam hoping tobuypreferably alaptop based diagnostic setup that is compatible withthis and other EOBDvehicles. Alternatively I would get a standalone unit but PC based is my first choice.

One of the main reasons is that I want to disable the annoying emissions equipment on the car such as the EGR system and the DPF regen cycle.I will also removethe actual filter. OK, before someone jumps down my throat, I am aware of the warranty implications and I am willing to accept them
. I think we can all agree that emissions eqiopment such as EGR and DPF is generally a pain in the hole and is something simply waiting to go wrong - the amount of threads on these faults is huge.

They really hurt you MPG tooand tbh, I and many others don't give a fiddlers feck about NOx or particulates

So to get to the point what do the motors boardsies advise as the best all round scan/diag tool. I have been looking at two so far;

1. AutoEnginuity PC scantool: Its a OBD II / EOBD setup but seems more geared to the American car market. It reads EOBD codes straight off and clear MILs but needs an extrasoftware expansion for ‚¬50 ish if you want to analyse manufacturer specific codes. Thats ‚¬50 per make. I don't think there is a extension for Kia listed for it. It can test systems but it is unclear as to whether it can disable or adjust systems.Its around ‚¬350 all in. Here: http://www.autoenginuity.com/

2. G-Scan standalone tool: This is not PC based and has a touch screen. It is geared to Asian brands and some European too. It appears to be able to access most systems and read all codes EOBD and manufacturer specific. It is also available with other cables to read older pre-EOBD vehicles. It is unclear whether is can adjusts/disable or reprogram the ECU. No price is given on the website. It comes from the UK. here: http://www.gscanuk.co.uk/

So, do any of you have experience with any of the above tools or is there any other tool you could reccomend that would meet my requirements. I would like any tool I purchase to be capable of the following;

1. Read EOBD and make specific codes and clear MILs

2. be able to disable/adjust different systems (esp emmissions systems)

3. Be compatible with popular makes, but Kia especially, even if this means needing to get an additional softeare extension

4. needs to be updateable for new models in years to come

and if possible

4.reprogram/reinstall ECU software and key programing.

So in addition to doing my own car, I'd like to have the capability to help friends and family out and maybe make some euros in the process to help make my investment back. I want a versatile, quality tool basically.

Phew. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for yer advice on this.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you do purchase a scanner or software make sure that you can return it if it wont read your vehicle!!!! Check info on Hi-Scan (scanners) doubt if anything else will do what you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I havelooked up the HiScan Pro. It does a lot but at $3,200, I think I will do without it!! The Autoenginuity one does have Kia support for non-EOBD features although it doesn't reprogram the ECU. At $249 for the basic package plus $149 for the Kia expansion it is not too bad. It does tests ABS etc. Looks good. I am still considering the G-Scan though as it is of British origin.
I'll be looking at it more closely.

Thanks. Any other recommendations anyone? Thanks folks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
errr....7 year 100k milewarranty.....why are you bothered about DPF and EGR issues? They will get fixed if there are any issues

DPFshouldn'tcauseyou any issues provided youDontrun Bio diesel apart from having to drive itItalianstyle every now and then. Most cars with an EGR have a very simple disable method. Find the EGR, locate the wire that is plugged into it....and unplug it. Job done.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Jaguar23 said:
No No No No No and No!

Why O why O why O why?

Seriously, if you are asking for advice on which tool to buy then you really dont know enough to be messing with management systems.

And if you you were competent, then you would know that all you need is an egr valve blanking plate. Or you would simply pull the plug to the egr solinoid.

My advice is to leave it alone!After all its a new car, so what are you trying to fix? Emmision systems of old were troublesome and would coke up etc, but we've all come a long way since then.

Just enjoy your car.

Totally agree, just drive it and enjoy it.

Why buy a new car that the manufacturer has spent millions developing then consider spending a few hundred pound to make it better.

You acknowledge you will void your warranty thus why buy a new car. If you want to play buy an older car and play to your hearts content.

It does not work like that, if you are such an expert you should be working for Kia.

If you do it I feel very sorry for subsequent owners of the car.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sport Wagon said:
Jaguar23 said:
No No No No No and No!

Why O why O why O why?

Seriously, if you are asking for advice on which tool to buy then you really dont know enough to be messing with management systems.

And if you you were competent, then you would know that all you need is an egr valve blanking plate. Or you would simply pull the plug to the egr solinoid.

My advice is to leave it alone!After all its a new car, so what are you trying to fix? Emmision systems of old were troublesome and would coke up etc, but we've all come a long way since then.

Just enjoy your car.

Totally agree, just drive it and enjoy it.

Why buy a new car that the manufacturer has spent millions developing then consider spending a few hundred pound to make it better.

You acknowledge you will void your warranty thus why buy a new car. If you want to play buy an older car and play to your hearts content.

It does not work like that, if you are such an expert you should be working for Kia.

If you do it I feel very sorry for subsequent owners of the car.

Erm, I think I read somewhere that he is fully aware of warranty issues and everything else that magnets a new car. He is buying it he will own it, it's his lookout if something goes plonk! Who cares who buy's the car when he exchanges it for something newer? nobody cared about thesecond hand cars that I could only afford! And I'll bet that a lot of owners who exchange their vehicle could not care two hoots about the condition they leave their part exchange. Be honest, how many owners have part exed their vehicle because of a serious fault? have had the back end repaired or the front (new owner unaware that vehicle travels down country roads like a lost frog).
If he wants to play with the telemetries of his vehicle and end up programing the vehicle to disintegrate at 31 mph so what! as long as nobody else gets hurt.
What I'm suggesting is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with what he wants to do! AS long as he does not play around with any safety system on the vehicle!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I bet that you have not driven a vehicle without ABS and ESP??

I think you get the jest of what I'm quoting though!
Edited by: MININUT

·
Registered
399 Posts
Jaguar23 said:
MININUT said:
I bet that you have not driven a vehicle without ABS and ESP??

I think you get the jest of what I'm quoting though!
[/

If you are saying its ok to disable the computer controlled areas of a car that was designed to have these systems then you are very wrong. Yes the brakes will still function but the rear discs will constantly lock up under any sudden braking in a dangerous manner.Most cars prior to ABS used drum brakes on the rear to prevent this. IMHO discs at front and drums at rear is still the best system.

Turning off ECU functions of a modern car is like turning off the systems in a Eurofighter Typhoon and expecting it to fly like a Spitfire.

And yes I have driven many old school cars without assistance, but they were designed to be that way.

This post has gone off on a tangent somewhat! But to answer your Quote- WHERE did I mention "its ok to turn off or disable computer controlled systems"?? I've been a mechanic since 1975 and worked on all systems and know how braking systems work!! PLEASE read the thread from the beginning to understand the topic. But just in case, someone said dont buy a diagnostic machine to play around with your car's computer if you dont know what your doing! My answer was - why not, if he owns the vehicle he can do what he likes with it, it's HIS problem if the warranty is void HIS problem if he f---s the computer up. My bet is he probably would not stump up the cash needed to purchase a machine that could alter a KIA's telematries, or any other vehicle if it comes to that.
Sorry, but if you had any knowledge you could have worked that one out yourself.

·
Registered
399 Posts
There is a difference between a mechanic and a fitter (news to you eh)
Oh, by the way, the only reason you think my posts are crap is because your intellect is very limited really shows.

I think you have joined the wrong forum! Facebook is on another site and Jeremy Kyle is on TV, stick to these if you cant hold a decent banter. This was a decent forum, hope it'll return that way soon!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Jaguar23 said:
Oh and trust me, I do know what im talking about.

And btw, you kicked all this off by being stupid and arrogant and VERY unprofessional in your wrong advice. Shame on you!

You need to grow up pal

·
Registered
887 Posts
AFAIK no single obd scanner will do what the op desires, there is no tick box program for what he wants.That requires actual recoding and mapping of the engine ecm, which will be locked to prevent adhoc messing with, systems to do this cost a fair bit, and aren't on general sale to joe public.
There are some solutions there for the older car for playing with.

·
Registered
112 Posts
John_2012_Rio said:
Hi,

They really hurt you MPG too and tbh, I and many others don't give a fiddlers feck about NOx or particulates

That's really a very selfish attitude. Emissions control equipment like EGR and DPF filters are a bit like immunisations. The benefits for the individual may be small but we all, as a population, benefit from them.

Particulates are now recognised as a significant health risk and NOx contributes towards smog which doesn't do anyone any good.

Sure, one more car polluting the place won't make much of a difference but if everyone was as selfish, the air quality in our cities would seriously suffer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.