Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking my new car round and found that the main lead was loose on the battery post. The nut on top was tight but it looks as if you have to squeeze the sides together onto the post and then tighten the nut, or am I missing something here? I've not come across this type of connector before. All the ones that I have seen tighten with a bolt at right angles to the post. ???

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Positive or negative lead.. is it ok now ..did you manage to tighten it yourself.. how about a pic to show your fellow owners.. and so the rest of us can see what you mean.. :)

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It appears that the "bolt" that should be there isn't and some hand fisted person has snapped the top off it at some time and replaced it with a "nut"!!! The original bolts must have some kind of taper arrangement so that they tighten the clamp. I have managed to tighten the clamp by "wedging a screwdriver against the side, then nipping up the nut. Not perfect but will suffice until I can get a replacement. Doh! It has a new "Halfords" battery fitted! Perhaps, there is a clue to when it happened!!!

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No! I'm wrong! There isn't a bolt to nip the post connector!

After removing the connector, giving it a gentle squeeze with the pipe grips and refitting, it grips and the nut hold the connector down and stops it coming off again. I don't like them and may change it for the old fashioned style. Get a grip!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That’s different to the type on my 2011 :

Motor vehicle Auto part Trunk Automotive design Personal luxury car

Looking at your photo, I would say the 10mm nut immediately on the left of the terminal is the one that clamps it tight. That nut has even left witness marks on the clamp showing that it has been in a different (tighter ?) position at some point in the past.

WD :)

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree. There are "shims" available that look like topless cones, with a split on one side, to fit over the battery post. I am tempted to make one out of a bit of sheet lead. I'm guessing that the new battery has a slightly smaller post than the original. The "02/12" marking on the connector fits with the build date. There is, what appears to be a slot in the plastic base, adjacent to the connector, which I used as a lever, with my screwdriver, to tighten the lead, before nipping the nut up. Poor design though.

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:- I have found that the whole of the metal base to the clip was bent upwards slightly, so that the black plastic base touched the top of the battery before the open clip could grip on the taper of the post. By applying pressure to the open clip from above, it could then grip on the post, further down and then be tightened in position, using the 10mm nut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.