Kia Owners Club Forum banner

2012 1.7 dual mass flywheel

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Sporty Joe 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Had my 2012 for a few years, bought it off my mum who bought it new so know the complete history of the car, full Kia sh, last few months been a judder initially in 1st, then on reverse now also between 1st and second.

My neighbour, a mechanic for Audi has said its the dual mass flywheel and so far my usual Kia dealer has not been easy to contact / get answers, to be fair i am expecting this to be more of a local garage rather than main dealer labour rates anyway. Looking at some older posts this does seem to be an issue on some kia's, has anyone else had this / rough price to fix it including any extras like clutch kits to do whilst doing it?

Thanks,
Paul

#6 ·
If the clutch is not slipping then it could be dampness/condensation on the clutch surfaces. This usually happens on a cold start and clears after a few miles until the next day. There could be other contamination on the friction material, such as oil.
More likely perhaps is a dual mass flywheel or, if it doesn't have one, the damper on the clutch cover. Either or which way it will eventually need the gearbox split from the engine to physically examine and repair the clutch.
Most manual transmission cars these days have dual mass flywheels for smoother clutch operation. Unfortunately this means a new flywheel should be fitted at every normal clutch change. Both the clutch and DM flywheel are 'wearing parts' that have a finite life. The price of DM flywheels has dropped very significantly over the last decade or so, so shouldn't break the bank. It might be the last straw though.

#8 · (Edited)
I have posted on here a few times as to my reference point for parts, as the search is very good, I would like to point out just in case anyone thinks this, I am not affiliated with this site in any way. As said it is very good for reference, as it is very detailed. I would suggest determine your parts and search for best prices, keeping in mind any remaining warranty
As before you will need to search for your exact car. I have taken a punt, and it suggests it is not a mass type, however, the 2L version of mine would be dual mass. I could have this all wrong as I have a KX 4 auto not a manual.

Please plug in your car details to determine what is presented to you.

Judder has been well documented on here, and from memory has lead to the clutch plate being the culprit. I have also only skirted over the detail in the posts, I did not see mention of mileage, as having an auto I cannot comment fully, just my ten penneth.

Hope this helps, if only a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.